JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a model 99 in 300 savage. Absolutely love this rifle. I inherited it from my father in law. Functions great and I really enjoy shooting it.

Although it functions well it looks like it wouldn't. Furniture is semi-ok, but I've found companies that sell NOS stuff and reproduction. If I decide not to refinish myself ill go that route.

The big issue is with the steel parts. Receiver, barrel, etc... Everything looks and feels like raw steel. No longer smooth and blued like other fresher examples I've seen.

So the question is... is there anyone around that can refinish these parts to their former glory? Would love to make this look like "new" again.

It has to be timed. Has a coil spring. Really touchy. Been told some smiths won't work on them. Sold my .300 99F, but kept my .308 99DL. Wish it was in .358 though. Amazing guns, way way way ahead of their time.

I just came across this video on YouTube. I've sent a note to them, asking what it would cost and how long it would take to have them disassemble/clean/reassemble a 300 Savage 99.

I'll post a thread with this video in it, but thought I'd also put it here for you.

I just came across this video on YouTube. I've sent a note to them, asking what it would cost and how long it would take to have them disassemble/clean/reassemble a 300 Savage 99.

I'll post a thread with this video in it, but thought I'd also put it here for you.

Good video. Thanks for sharing. Not the easiest to get through, but informative none the less. The rotary mag is not as intimidating as I expected, so thats really good news.

I've currently got my Savage for sale here in the classifieds, but no one seems interested. If I end up keeping it, which is really the ideal situation, I'll tear it down and probably refinish the whole thing myself in the process.

Hello there! I'm far from an expert on the venerable Savage 99 but, if you don't mind, I'll share some of the things I learned through many hours of research on this model.
I'll try not give the impression that I'm "dissing" your rifle, so I'll start with the positives. It's chambered in an impressive round. I like to think of the .300 Savage as the original short magnum. At the time your rifle was manufactured, the .300 Savage was a favorite among big game hunters for elk, moose and even the big bears. Ammunition can still be found and the price hasn't become ridiculous. Your scope mount appears (can't tell from the pics) to be a Stith, or something comparable. That is very hard to find and much prized among 99 collectors. Your rifle is one of the more desirable takedown models. I don't think you mentioned that in your ad. That little release button on the forend doesn't just function as a forend release. After the forend is off, you can open the action and interrupted threads on the barrel allow you turn it 1/4? turn and it slips right out. Very popular option in the days when train travel was the norm. I'm thinking the scope mount might make it impossible to use that option without removing the mount. Yours appears to still have the original, steel buttplate. Indian head stamped? Those are all positives on the rifle your FIL left you.
Now, the negatives. The metal condition and cracked forend would make your rifle undesirable to any collector, but that's kinda how you have it priced. They would term your example a "Gray Rat". I own a couple like that, but paid only a couple hundred dollars each for them. Granted, that was many years ago, but a couple bucks was worth more then too. I also have a few in very nice condition, but they're not worth anything like $1200. Of course, I wouldn't dream of selling them either, so that doesn't matter to me. I have 1 in parts that I plan to refinish, at some point, because I want a nice looking .243. It won't make it more valuable, just more presentable.
I've seen new reproduction forends, even for the takedown, but would likely require some final fitting. These rifles were manufactured at a time when the people working at Savage Arms were honest to God gunsmiths. I just gotta love that! You are the owner of a piece of American firearms history, and as Xaevian wrote, Arthur Savage's design was "way ahead of it's time".
Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Hello there! I'm far from an expert on the venerable Savage 99 but, if you don't mind, I'll share some of the things I learned through many hours of research on this model.
I'll try not give the impression that I'm "dissing" your rifle, so I'll start with the positives. It's chambered in an impressive round. I like to think of the .300 Savage as the original short magnum. At the time your rifle was manufactured, the .300 Savage was a favorite among big game hunters for elk, moose and even the big bears. Ammunition can still be found and the price hasn't become ridiculous. Your scope mount appears (can't tell from the pics) to be a Stith, or something comparable. That is very hard to find and much prized among 99 collectors. Your rifle is one of the more desirable takedown models. I don't think you mentioned that in your ad. That little release button on the forend doesn't just function as a forend release. After the forend is off, you can open the action and interrupted threads on the barrel allow you turn it 1/4? turn and it slips right out. Very popular option in the days when train travel was the norm. I'm thinking the scope mount might make it impossible to use that option without removing the mount. Yours appears to still have the original, steel buttplate. Indian head stamped? Those are all positives on the rifle your FIL left you.
Now, the negatives. The metal condition and cracked forend would make your rifle undesirable to any collector, but that's kinda how you have it priced. They would term your example a "Gray Rat". I own a couple like that, but paid only a couple hundred dollars each for them. Granted, that was many years ago, but a couple bucks was worth more then too. I also have a few in very nice condition, but they're not worth anything like $1200. Of course, I wouldn't dream of selling them either, so that doesn't matter to me. I have 1 in parts that I plan to refinish, at some point, because I want a nice looking .243. It won't make it more valuable, just more presentable.
I've seen new reproduction forends, even for the takedown, but would likely require some final fitting. These rifles were manufactured at a time when the people working at Savage Arms were honest to God gunsmiths. I just gotta love that! You are the owner of a piece of American firearms history, and as Xaevian wrote, Arthur Savage's design was "way ahead of it's time".
Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.
Thank you very much for this response. I thought I had mentioned that it was a takedown model, but may not have. The buttplate is stamped SVG on the bottom. With the little knowledge I've gained about this rifle since having it in my possession, I definitely have a huge appreciation for it and honestly love shooting it. I used truegunvalue.com as a baseline for my value. Then adjusted for condition and package contents. If I'm way off the mark, I have no problem hearing that.

Considering how long I've had it listed for sale, with no interest, I'm at the point where it'll probably stay with me indefinitely. That said, value becomes very little concern and as you said presentation is more appealing. When I first received it, a handful of years ago, I did a fair amount of stocking up on ammo as this was gonna be my deer rifle. Through some research and the help of another forum I tracked down an older gentleman who made the custom mount. Dont recall his name now. Wasn't cheap, but it was worth it to me to not have to drill and tap the receiver.

I've seen some reproduction and some new old stock stuff as far as the furniture. I'd like to get my hands on a nice furniture set and stash away the original. The poor metal condition is sad for me. I know I can do some sanding and help it a bit, but it'll never be factory smooth. Then I was thinking I'd try my hand at a home bluing kit as @Howard1955 mentioned.

I'm sorry, you DID mention the takedown feature, like in the very first sentence! So much for my reading skills. Wow, a custom made, Stith style, no drill mount. You really do love your rifle! That Savage 99 has been putting meat on the table for nearly a century, and I personally hope you keep it and fill your own freezer with it. Maybe even pass it along so it can fill freezers for another 100 years.

I got my dads 99f in .308 a few years back, it was looking a little shabby so I took the furniture off and scrubbed it good with fine scotchbrite, let it dry well and oiled it with tung oil. the bluing has honest wear from years of hunting so I just left it. the rifle looks real nice now.

20211007_111812.jpg

I'm sorry, you DID mention the takedown feature, like in the very first sentence! So much for my reading skills. Wow, a custom made, Stith style, no drill mount. You really do love your rifle! That Savage 99 has been putting meat on the table for nearly a century, and I personally hope you keep it and fill your own freezer with it. Maybe even pass it along so it can fill freezers for another 100 years.
Hahaha... all good. Yeah, I was pretty stoked when I found out about that mount. Once I received it, I understand what I was paying for... you could park a tank on that thing and its absolutely beautiful.

I think its safe to say at this point it'll stay in the family. Ill do my best to refinish it and give it some much deserved love. No doubt it'll continue to bring food home too.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews