JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Below is the text of a letter to my US representative and Senators.

Sir, I am writing to express my deep concern about the recent push for increased restrictions on 2nd ammendment rights. The suitablility of a particular type of firearm for "sporting purposes" is irrelevant since the purpose of the second ammendment was to keep the ultimate power to govern with the people rather than with an oligarcy.

The administration's renewed attempt at gun control is viewed by an informed electorate as a cynical first step towards total disarming of US citizens.

As you know, most of the recent mass shootings were committed by mentally ill people who stole the guns. In the case of Adam Lanza, he tried to purchase a rifle but the existing laws prevented him from doing so.

If you are concerned about public safety and the safety of our schools, I urge you to focus on solutions such as mental health and increased enforcement of existing laws. These areas offer real hope for reducing shootings. I also urge you to support the NRA's school shield program

Law abiding gun owners are not the problem and you should resist the administrations efforts to take away our second ammendment rights.

This is the letter I got back from Jeff Merkley today. It is markedly different from earlier letters. They are changing their tone. We must keep the pressure on.

-------------------------------

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about legislation and actions being considered to address gun violence. I appreciate hearing from you.

In the wake of the tragic mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary and right at home in Clackamas Town Center, I have heard a wide range of views from many Oregonians on gun policies and gun violence. Indeed, I am deeply saddened by these senseless shootings and the loss of innocent lives.

As I consider proposed policies regarding guns, I will have two perspectives. As a supporter of the Second Amendment, I will ask if the proposals meet the constitutional test. Second, I will ask if the proposals will make a difference in the tragic situations we have witnessed. In short, I will be digging into the facts and research about each of the proposals on the table with these perspectives in mind.

It is appropriate in light of the recent tragedies that this is a national discussion, and I'm glad you are sharing your thoughts with me. I will keep your views in mind and hope you will keep me informed about the issues that concern you.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR