JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first time ducking hunting in brackish water (LC). I have had my synthetic Browning BPS in some serious fresh water even on the bottom of a few rivers throughout the last 12 years. I have never had any issues with rust. But the old BPS is going orange on me by the time i get home each day. I'm currently cleaning with CLP and Mil-tec oil and i keep her pretty wet with oil.

Thoughts? I was thinking about ATF or wax or engine oil.

Or should i just do my best then duracoat it when it gets ugly?
Thanks

Mil tech is actually not that good for rust protection.

Next time when you apply CLP use hair dryer or heat gun to heat up the metal little bit as you apply CLP, it helps absorb the oil better.

You could give a frog lube (paste type) or weapon shield a try.

If it's a parkerized gun then it's almost impossible to keep completely rust free...even when not around salt water.Heck I've seen parkerized guns in gun stores that had a little rust on them.
I disassembled and cleaned my Beretta 391 every time I got home and it still had a teeny bit of rust on it.

So I used G96 (I ran out and can't find the brand name,sorry) every time.Spayed the parts down and warmed up a little.Then I would go clean.
But you should take the gun down as salt air seems to creep into every little crack.

I didn't hunt this year,but if I do again I will get some type of coating done or just buy the cammo gun with the coating on it.

Oh and most wipe the gun down real good after cleaning,but for salt,I didn't always wipe the excess off.Kind of leaving a barrier there.

Good luck

I've spent a lot of time hunting inland and at the coast, under very wet conditions. I tried all the newfangled gun oils, but I've gone back to using the old fashioned Outers or Hopp's gun oil, with better results.

WAYNO.

Thanks. Chain lube... you might be on to something there. Today was a good day, i shot a limit and my gun did not rust. I hosed it off at the ramp with wd-40 just to get back to the house clean and dry it out. I was also more mindful to keep from rubbing the lube off in my layout blind so maybe that helped.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top