JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
True, but the things that AREN'T killed are some of the nastiest....TB, Hep C, multitudes of spores, etc. This can be remedied by using a good quality pressure cooker as opposed to an open boil.

I was exposed to TB and had a positive skin test after beign stationed in Korea. Fairly familiar with it- went through 6 months of isoniazid prophylactic treatment. TB is a bacterium and it is indeed killed by boiling. You don't even have to reach a full boil:

The efficacy of the heat killing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis

"HCV is spread primarily by exposure to human blood. A person may get hepatitis C by sharing needles to inject drugs or through exposure to human blood in the workplace. Although the risk of getting hepatitis C from a blood transfusion still exists, this risk is very low because donated blood has been screened for HCV since May 1990.
Hepatitis C has been transmitted between sex partners and among household members; however, the degree of this risk is unknown.

There is no evidence that HCV is spread by sneezing, coughing, hugging, or other casual contact.

HCV cannot be spread by food or water."

Hepatitis C Prevention

The primary concern I see with Hep C is among IV drug abusers, and the advice seems designed to scare them into needle exchange programs rather than to provide absolutely truthful advice. It's possible to boil or disinfect needles that have been used, but it requires care, because the inside of the needle can be isolated from the disinfecting agent. This is much more likely the cause of Hep C being spread from person to person than the virus being immune to boiling temperatures. Most pathogens die off around 140 degree fahrenheit. Same with fungal spores. I've been researching mushroom growing, and they typically use a commercial steamer for sterilizing substrate. An open boil at high altitiude can be comparatively low temp. That might be a concern. One problem with boiling is how the condensate cools and what it might carryback into the source as it does. There are ways to deal with that too.

I wouldn't worry too much about pathogens in salt, because highly concentrated salt has a sterilizing effect too. I'd be more concerned about poisonous impurities like heavy metals or alkaloids, depending on where the salt comes from.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top