JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The dude must be smoking crack. Arsenal's SGL21 (their oh-so-nice 7.62x39 Saiga conversion) sells in the low to mid $700's... I seriously doubt the folding stock somehow adds $800 to the value. The gun he's selling can be had for much less from places like Atlantic Firearms.

This looks like what he is selling...

SLR-107F - Import, 7.62x39 caliber, stamped receiver, chrome lined hammer forged barrel, bayonet lug, 24mm muzzle brake, cleaning rod, accessory lug, black polymer furniture, Left-side folding polymer stock, stainless steel heat shield. Comes with one 5-round magazine, sling, oil bottle, and cleaning kit.

<broken link removed>

MSRP $950, but is listed as out of production and out of stock, so sounds like he is capitalizing on that fact. The new Guns and Ammo has a review of the SGL21 in the new AK47 special edition. Seems that could drum up some lookers for the Saiga rifles.

For some reason there are a number of sellers on that website with inflated ideas of their guns' value. Unless the new AWB went into effect and I missed it. But ultimately, its worth what someone will pay for it.

As far as the Saiga, I prefer a good Arsenal. I don't care how uncommon the Saiga AK-47 might be, it's still not THAT much better than a good Bulgarian-made, unless you have some weird Russia fetish. Which is understandable. I prefer Polish potato vodka, even though it tastes like crap and Russian or Finnish grain vodka is smoother and is less likely to make me go blind. But that's just me.

Now if it were a Saiga-12.....

Not that I'd pay $1500 for it, but it's not simply an SGL-21. It's a 2006 Venezuelan overrun Saiga. Notice the Y stamp. The owner obviously paid someone alot of money to do the rear folder conversion - but it has some very odd problems. It looks to me like it has an oversize barrel pin (or at least a non-original barrel pin). And the 'third rivet' has been ground off for some unknown reason. And the front trunnion has been wiped and re-engraved with, of all things, the original 2006 Saiga serial number. Why the fizuck would someone re-engrave the exact same serial number onto the trunnion? If they were trying to do an authentic AK-103 build with correct engraving, they would most certainly have engraved an Izhmash logo and correct Izhmash date code / serial number. Makes no sense to me that someone would have removed the front trunnion just to engrave the exact same Saiga serial number on a trunnion that already had a Saiga serial number on it.

SO when you add up the evidence of a re-headspaced barrel (i.e., oversize pin), the evidence that the correct Saiga 'third rivet' has been removed, and the senseless engraving, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the front trunnion is not original. But why the heck would that be? The only other thought I have is that somebody yanked the front trunnion out in order to rivet in a bullet guide. Wow that would be kinda crazy.

That's a very strange build. THere's some details about that rifle that the seller isn't telling. Oh, and the trigger guard is wrong, the top cover is wrong, it's missing the punch press dimples, the front latch cutout is wrong, and the rear stock and trunnion are wrong (they're 4.5mm Bulgarian, not 5.5mm Russian)

He contacted me from outdoorstrader concerning a ar15 I have for sale. We was wanting to do a trade with cash on my end. I replied back that I was looking for high quality ak47s and let it at that. He seemed like a nice guy in his email just a little misinformed. I'm sure by his lack of interest in the rifle that he found out it's not as desirable as he thought it was.

Companies like Krebs, Tromix, Red Jacket, and the like sell $1500+ AKs, so yes, it's possible to find them that expensive. Now whether HIS is worth that, who knows. Personally I wouldn't pay that much for an AK when I could have a nice AR instead but there are folks who will.

Try to remember that a Saiga is "not" an AK, just a variant. And RedJacket, well let's just say that there prices are a bit extreme I think being on TV jacked there prices up or something. I'll just leave it at that

Try to remember that a Saiga is "not" an AK, just a variant. And RedJacket, well let's just say that there prices are a bit extreme I think being on TV jacked there prices up or something. I'll just leave it at that

Never fondled a RedJacket rifle, but the Krebs was I shot was certainly worth the money. All the trainers I know who like AK's are all about the Krebs guns...

I'll stick with my SGL-21. I guess I would have to try one of the folding stock versions to see if its worth the extra money. I really don't think so since mine is just a range toy and cheap plinker. I suppose if you want a spot on replica of an actual AK-103 then this or another like it would be the way to go.

And the front trunnion has been wiped and re-engraved with, of all things, the original 2006 Saiga serial number. Why the fizuck would someone re-engrave the exact same serial number onto the trunnion? What indicator shows that it has been wiped and then re-engraved with the same serial number?

If they were trying to do an authentic AK-103 build with correct engraving, they would most certainly have engraved an Izhmash logo and correct Izhmash date code / serial number. Makes no sense to me that someone would have removed the front trunnion just to engrave the exact same Saiga serial number on a trunnion that already had a Saiga serial number on it.... the only thing that makes sense to me is that the front trunnion is not original. But why the heck would that be? The only other thought I have is that somebody yanked the front trunnion out in order to rivet in a bullet guide. Wow that would be kinda crazy. I am in the the process of doing an AK 103 clone build and I had to (alright it was easier) remove the front trunnion to do the cut and install of the front catch

That's a very strange build. THere's some details about that rifle that the seller isn't telling. Probably because the seller doesn't know the differences

Oh, and the trigger guard is wrong, the top cover is wrong, it's missing the punch press dimples, the front latch cutout is wrong, and the rear stock and trunnion are wrong (they're 4.5mm Bulgarian, not 5.5mm Russian) I am doing a clone and I know that and it isn't going to be near the $1500.00 selling point unless its one of the gunshow commandos then it's $5,000.00 to shut him up. My 107 FR's weren't even $1500.00 and my 107 UR was close but still wasn't $1,500.00

SF-

SilverFox:

Well, the indicator for the wipe/re-engrave is the fact that the Izhmash factory doesn't use a CNC engraver, which clearly is the case in the "not authentic" example. Notice the authentic sample below (it's laser engraved):

weird_103_mockup.jpg

Additionally, the fonts are all wrong. Compare the number '4' in each. Also, the '1' is clearly a Western 1. Soviet 1's are typically the 'European' style that looks more like our Western '7'. Just doesn't look factory...

But even more strange, look at that 'not authentic' photo closely. The barrel pin looks like it has a weird angle grind on it - doesn't look stock. And the 'third rivet' (actually the bolt turn pin) is either not there or it has somehow been modified/ground on..., or it's been replaced with something similar, but not authentic.

You removed your front trunnion? Well that will certainly make it easier to rivet in the bullet guide if you choose to do so. But what did you do about the third rivet? Were you able to salvage it for re-installation?

If you're building an AK-103, there might be some useful information for you here:

Projects Page 26

-Thirtycal

All this authentic replica talk reminds me of a story about Soviet duplication. It seems a few of our B-29 bombers had to land in Soviet territory during WW2. Uncle Joe didnt give them back and had them copied exactly. So exactly the Tupolev factory used English instead of Metric for simple things like rivets and bolts. They even copied the manufacturers logos on the new Tupolev bombers... I myself have tended to be a bit butt oriented myself when it comes to replicating historical weapons, but in this case, my Arsenal/Saiga is Russian enough for me. :)

Thirtycal- where did you get your AK education?

As for the third rivet, did I screw up when I threw it away? I figured I would just buy a new one.

Uh oh..... All of the sudden i don't feel so good?

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads