JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thirtycal, you are a weath of information. I wish I knew half of what you forgot.

Eh don't give me so much credit - so much of AK knowledge is just 'good guesses' based on what we can see in photos. Alot of times what we think is true sometimes gets proven wrong when the 'right' photo is found. In fact, here's a great example: I have a fairly extensive collection of AK-103 and Saiga reference photos. I've been collecting them for about 5 years now. I decided to go back through the 2006 photos to look for examples of any CNC engraved serial numbers, which could lend authenticity to that crazy Saiga dude is selling. So the funny thing is that I just learned something right now that I never realized: The factory used two different serial number marking methods within nearly the same serial number range:

saiga_06_laser_vs_stamp_sn.jpg
'
You can see in this photo that these rifles are only about 200 units apart, yet one is clearly 'stamped', and the other is clearly 'laser etched'. Also, the stamped font uses western style 1's, which I thought was fairly uncommon for modern rifles. Both of the Saigas in the photos are the 'dimpled+Y' variant, which was somewhat rare - only produced in '06, and never thereafter. The vast majority of Saiga photos I have (going back to '06) show laser etched serial numbers... Really makes me wonder why they would have two methods.

Anyway, I'm sticking by my claim that the seller's front trunnion has been re-engraved by some builder (either pro or home), since I've never seen any example of a Saiga with a CNC engraved SN. But as I've illustrated, it's possible I could be wrong :). That's what makes researching AK's so fun.

-Thirtycal

Thirtycal- where did you get your AK education?

As for the third rivet, did I screw up when I threw it away? I figured I would just buy a new one.

Uh oh..... All of the sudden i don't feel so good?

SF-

Well, technically you don't need the third rivet if you use a Bulgarian style 7.62 bullet guide (available from K-var). Honestly I've often wondered about that third rivet and how it's pressed in. I would have loved to have seen the one you removed. I've never seen them available, but you might be able to find something at least 'cosmetically' similar in the McMaster-Carr catalog. Or, you might be able to turn something similar on a lathe - that wouldn't be too tough. Might even be able to harden the tip if you use tool steel. I wouldn't sweat it too much unless you're really trying to get a perfect clone. If you do make some on a lathe, make a few extra since I bet you could sell them if they're a good copy. I've never seen one for sale, but I have seen want ads for them.

As for the "AK Education"... Well it's just a bunch of data gathering. I'm a researcher by profession so it's just what I do. After a while, you can't help but get kinda into it, and it becomes an obsession so you just keep looking and looking everywhere for data -talking to people, learning, etc. I've learned a ton from the guys who were into the Russian collection early on (back in the '90's)... There's alot of folks that know way more than I'll ever know (like Doug Ford (aka Tantal), Rob Stott (aka stottman), etc), but I've carefully read 1000's of threads and many books on this subject... so what it all boils down to is that I got my AK Education by "Taking good notes" :)

-Thirtycal

Thirtycal....

I am probably borderline OCD/ADHD and 100% gun nut. Ever since I came home from Afghanistan I've been learning as much as I can about AK's. In fact this morning I bought a 1958 Tula repair manual on gunbroker. Pro: it is is in mint condition. Con: it is written in Russian.

My AK 103 clone project is on the back burner an over at a buddies house. I've got like six other projects that have been bumped up in its place. Also in the 12 months I have acquired a 107 UR, FR and finally CR. I am not going to worry about the other two calibers and just focus on the 7.62x39 family.

Once I get back to that clone project I'll keep you posted.

SF-

Thritycal-

I also get down to Oregon about every 4 to 6 weeks, we should link up and get a coffee and talk AK's

By then I should have my prototype done of a rifle I would like to bring to market and get your feedback.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top