JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In Montana we called them gophers.

Used to shoot them all day long. It was our job- kid's clearing the pastures so cattle wouldn't step in the holes..

Sage rats, ie flickertails are about the size of chimpmunks, ground squirrels about the size of small greys and pocket gophers are about the size of squirrels to bush rabbits. Close to prarie dog size.

In South Dakota we know them as gophers. When I moved here and went on my first "rat" trip with friends we were driving and I saw several gophers but not one of them had a "rat" tail. Didn't take long to figure it out and the slaughter was on. Would like to take my 10 and 14 year old boys somewhere where there is good action and will allow small bore centerfire rifles (.204, .223). Usually head towards Fort Rock/Christmas Valley but am open to new areas.

I haven't eaten squirell before, but I hear-tell it ain't too bad, actually. Given their typical diet, I can see why they wouldn't be rank.

I'll eat just about anything at least once (except for canabalism) as long as it's not moving, but that's not a deal breaker either. ;)
They ARE cannibals, I wouldn't want to eat one.

We have had a very mild winter this year. This could be a record spring for varmint hunting in Eastern Oregon. Rodents typically thrive when they don't have a harsh winter to deal with.

Rockchucks and Jackrabbits could be producing good numbers this year too.

I will be going to Montana twice this year to shoot "gophers". 1st week of June to Conrad, MT and the last weekend of June to Wisdom, MT. I am squaring away the 22 LR, 22 mag, 17HM2 and the 17 HMR for some serious work..........ah Montana........nothing like it.....in the summer anyway!!!:):)........lol.........crazy cold in the winter though......o_O

Up in the mountains, I use a Savage Mark II .22lr to shoot Nutria on the banks of The Sprague River. They love to come out onto the ice that closes toward the middle of the river in winter. Sometimes when I use CB caps, the rest stand there as their neighbors die. I have doubled and tripled many times on Nutria on The Sprague(some may say that they've even been shot right outside the door of the Springfield Cabela's in the drainage between the parking lot and I-5, but I couldn't confirm or deny that) .

Down in the valleys and The Basin, the rockchucks/marmots/ground squirrels/jackrabbits/prairie dogs are so thick it's almost boring(no, no it isn't). Has anyone ever seen the grainy black and white film(s) of the jackrabbit killing days in the early 20th Century down here? The rabbits are everywhere and children are killing them with a stick.

Depending upon the route we take, sometimes we go through Chiloquin to Hwy. 97 down to Klamath Falls. Whenever we take that route, I always have a coyote gun with me. I have no problem pulling over right on the highway and leaving those filthy dogs where they fall. I have actually shot them while they crept up on calves and have never met a rancher that had a problem with it. The Chuck's there have no fear and truly are all over the road and shoulder. Too bad I couldn't hang out of the passenger window with a belt-fed semi-auto shotgun.

Anyway, this thread is about SAGE RATS and you guys are coming to the right place for them! They are so thick that you could easily erode the leade of your barrel in one day with a .22-250, .204 or even .223. I love my Savage for the accuracy, but as it is a .22lr, I find the .17HMR is more effective past 75 yards.

P.S. The only legitimate reason to eat one of these vile creatures is honest starvation. I know a lot of people that swear by the delicious, tender meat of Nutria, but I won't find out until it is absolutely necessary.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top