JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was hoping you could educate me up on sage rat hunting.

It this something typically done with a guide? If so, do you have any recommendations? If guided, is it already to late this year?

Can you get away with DIY public land? I'm not asking for specific spots. Father-in-law lives in Redmond and there is a bunch of BLM land out there so just curious if that could work.

Just purchased a 17 hmr with 550 rounds and got her sighted in. Also have a Ruger 10/22.

Hunting buddy's and I are mainly looking at it as the halfway point for Deer/Elk season so it would be nice to get out there and have a little hunting camp for sage rats. Maybe do a little fishing as well.

Thanks,

Big Baby
Caution: Sage Rat shooting can be addictive!
You certainly do not need a guide but finding a field to shoot and getting permission has become difficult these days. I have never found any sage rats on public property as they really love alfalfa and grass fields. If you find some on BLM, guard that spot with your life. Your 17 is the ideal cartridge for sage rats...in a good field you will empty all of that ammo in one day. Semi 22's are great fun too for closer work.
Sage rats hibernate early...they go underground by mid-July so not an option during big game seasons.
Sage rat shooting can start as early as March depending on area/weather but mid-April to June is prime time.
I'm sure several outfitters are still taking reservations now. Here are a few to check out on line if you like.... Have fun!
No Off Season Burns OR
Diamond A Burns
Sage Rat Safaris Silver Lake

Typically there are established groups that traditionally plan a hunt every year out east. You might look for such a group. They may or may not accept you in unless somebody leaves or passes away. There can be a bit of cliquish hierarchy amongst those hunters unfortunately, but don't let it deter you from digging around. When I was a lot younger there was a group of guys from the county shops that had a place lined up. I knew a few LEO agencies that had a combined group that also had a place locked in every year. Not sure how that scene is anymore or if it's dwindled. I don't really hear of people clamoring on about it like I use too. I'm thinking somebody might see your post here and reach out to you via PM.

there used to be a sh!t ton of them out on the crooked river grasslands between haystack butte, grey butte and grizzly buttes. I haven't been out there in a long time but the sage rat hunting was killer as soon as it started to warm slightly and new grass was coming on.

If you don't want to take the time to find them, hiring someone might help or getting in with a group.

They aren't the hardest to find. It just takes lots of driving around with a good map that shows private lands and public lands.

A good weekend trip, with the intention to do nothing but scout and camp, may not be the funnest thing. I enjoy those trips as much as the actual hunting trips.

Scouting is a part of hunting. I've spent months scouting in the past. I'll likely do more once the kid gets old enough to tag along.

We have a different variety of ground squirrel here in Central CA, But the Belding squirrel they have in south east Ore are out as early as Jan, and hibernating starting in late June.
When I'm in the far NE corner of CA I am looking for Alfalfa fields that are not yet planted , or freshly mowed. With the grass down low the little squirrels are easy to see and shoot. Once the grass is up higher then the shooter has to be up high to see the squirrels.
I have seen shooters with a seat on a 12 ft ladder.
Another place I look for squirrels is where they have taken out an orchard and have the trees piled to be burned. Those piles are rat magnets.
One of the reasons rat shooting is falling out of favor is there are now pesticides that farmers can use instead of shooting. In the 80's and 90's pesticides were blamed for Raptor die offs.
Now they have new pesticides that don't harm animals that eat the dead or dying pests. So the shooters are having a harder time finding places to shoot.

Here in Central CA, I look for Organic farms that don't allow pesticides on there farms. Who would have thought Me and the Grainola eaters would share this in common! DR

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews