Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Safes: New vs Old/Used

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by sleepygreen, Oct 15, 2014.

1. sleepygreen

sleepygreen Moses Lake Member

Trying to decide on a safe. Looking at both new and used. Found a new liberty with 12ga steel and 75min fire protection for around $900 delivered. Also found used safes from manufacturers like Fort Knox (45min fire) and amsec (120min fire) for just a little more. Of course I would have to pick those up. Would you guys go for a new one with pretty good stats or an old used one from a higher end brand? Has safe technology advanced much in 20 years?

2. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

Honestly, if it were between a '3-star' new safe and a '5-star' old safe, I would go with the old one everytime. I don't mind buying used to get a better product than I can afford new.

That being said, if I bought it private party I wouldn't opt to have them drop it off. Definitely would be a pick up situation.

3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

My favorite is my 1905 Mosler.

2 sets of 2 doors, 4000lbs, 8"+ of steel on all sides - $400, a good friend and 9 hours of labor to rehome it.

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

^^^^ There's Joe, bragging about his bank vault again!;) LOL!!!
    I would certainly go for the used but better quality safe. It's not like they wear out. I suppose if it were dialed and opened 50 times per day for 50yrs the lock work might be worn. Maybe because I'm old I don't care for electronic locks. Just a simple combination lock. A key lock on the dial is a useful accessory, handy when moving guns in and out of the safe like for cleaning.

+1 with the guys suggesting that you pick up any used safe and make sure that you are not tailed!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Stomper, clearconscience and Joe13 like this.
  5. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have a lot of sweat into that thing, I have to bring it up every chance I can:D

I have an electrical background and preffer the mechanical locks for reliability.

clearconscience and NoFlinch like this.
  6. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

A used jewelry or retail cash safe, hands down, no contest.

That's where the anti-drill plates, good solid steel and other high-quality features will be, and for MUCH less than a new one.

Put in your own carpet and shelf and racks later.

Joe13 likes this.
  7. NoFlinch

NoFlinch In a van down by the river Owner of Cocaine addicted dog.

Fire Rating can be mis-conseaving.

"Thickness" can be mis-conseaving.

LOTS of BAD info. out there on safes.

I strongly urge you to do some in depth research B4 buying,

I did:)

And now feel my brick of 22 LR is completely safe!:)

sixfoot674 likes this.
  8. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Rogue safe. Spend it once, sleep well.

9. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Like others have mentioned....Get the best quality safe you can, used or not. Obviously you can (and should) change the combo and anchor that big thick steel behemoth to the concrete. Don't get hung up on the carpet, shelves, etc that are inside. That can be amended later. Do your research and get the biggest you can afford with the thickest steel you can. If you can find it used, even better.

10. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I never really thought of buying a used safe, but I highly doubt it will ever wear out and probably last longer/made better.

I'm in the market for a new safe. Wanted a Liberty safe kicking myself for not picking one up when they were on sale, oh well wait for the next sale

11. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

If you are really wanting a liberty, IIRC they often have ding/dent models that go for a good chunk o change less than new ones. I personally believe Sturdy Safe make some of the best safes for the price range, but that is just my opinion formed after many hours of my own research. My buddy has a Liberty and he likes it a lot.

12. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I have a Liberty Fatboy-32 finished in grey "granite" with a dial combo (no EMP failures) and LOVE IT. I wish I had another one bolted down next to it.

Go with at LEAST 12-ga. steel construction... AT LEAST.

clearconscience likes this.