JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to decide on a safe. Looking at both new and used. Found a new liberty with 12ga steel and 75min fire protection for around $900 delivered. Also found used safes from manufacturers like Fort Knox (45min fire) and amsec (120min fire) for just a little more. Of course I would have to pick those up. Would you guys go for a new one with pretty good stats or an old used one from a higher end brand? Has safe technology advanced much in 20 years?

Honestly, if it were between a '3-star' new safe and a '5-star' old safe, I would go with the old one everytime. I don't mind buying used to get a better product than I can afford new.

That being said, if I bought it private party I wouldn't opt to have them drop it off. Definitely would be a pick up situation.

^^^^ There's Joe, bragging about his bank vault again!;) LOL!!!
I would certainly go for the used but better quality safe. It's not like they wear out. I suppose if it were dialed and opened 50 times per day for 50yrs the lock work might be worn. Maybe because I'm old I don't care for electronic locks. Just a simple combination lock. A key lock on the dial is a useful accessory, handy when moving guns in and out of the safe like for cleaning.

+1 with the guys suggesting that you pick up any used safe and make sure that you are not tailed!

Last Edited:
A used jewelry or retail cash safe, hands down, no contest.

That's where the anti-drill plates, good solid steel and other high-quality features will be, and for MUCH less than a new one.

Put in your own carpet and shelf and racks later.

Fire Rating can be mis-conseaving.

"Thickness" can be mis-conseaving.

LOTS of BAD info. out there on safes.

I strongly urge you to do some in depth research B4 buying,

I did:)

And now feel my brick of 22 LR is completely safe!:)

Like others have mentioned....Get the best quality safe you can, used or not. Obviously you can (and should) change the combo and anchor that big thick steel behemoth to the concrete. Don't get hung up on the carpet, shelves, etc that are inside. That can be amended later. Do your research and get the biggest you can afford with the thickest steel you can. If you can find it used, even better.

I never really thought of buying a used safe, but I highly doubt it will ever wear out and probably last longer/made better.

I'm in the market for a new safe. Wanted a Liberty safe kicking myself for not picking one up when they were on sale, oh well wait for the next sale

If you are really wanting a liberty, IIRC they often have ding/dent models that go for a good chunk o change less than new ones. I personally believe Sturdy Safe make some of the best safes for the price range, but that is just my opinion formed after many hours of my own research. My buddy has a Liberty and he likes it a lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top