JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Folks, we're moving in a week and as i go through my treasures, I came upon a box of very old, very funky ammo that I'd like to get rid of. There are some shotshells, some centerfire rifle rounds, pretty random stuff. This box came from my wife's dad when he passed years ago, it was given to me to take care of, but it's old stuff and has no sentimental value.

What's the safe and legal way to get rid of this stuff...??

Thanks in advance - B.B.S.

There are no legal restrictions in our part of the country except perhaps age. Sounds to me like you should list it for small for a small sum so that someone that collects cartridges can see if there is something in the lot worth saving.

If anybody wants these they can have them for free how's that? I'll see if I can put a list together in the next day or two but things are pretty busy with the move. Thanks for the suggestions guys really appreciate it.

This actually could be the start of a permanent thread.

If someone came onto the forum and wanted to safely and legally dispose if ammo and wasnt interested in giving it away, Im curious as to where they could go, unless they just threw it all in the trash.

Im sure I could spend 10 mins googling the how and where.. But I still think the forum could have an outlet that let those that may be less familiar with firearms and safety to learn where they can drop the ammo off quickly and easily without getting hounded by the "free claimers" lol. That isnt a jab at anyone here, I mean that not everyone is going to be comfotrable meeting up with a stranger that may be new to the forum.

I was dropping of some florescent light bulbs at a free hazmat event after having just purchased some powder. While digging the bulbs out of the trunk the hazmat worker saw the powder and remarked that they get cans of gun powder all of the time, typically dropped off by a widow. I would imagine they see their share of ammo too.

That's enough to make me cry, so please try to keep it in the hands of those that can use it and not the landfill.

I'd never landfill shootable ammo, but as I said in the title, some of this stuff has obvious corrosion on it, so I wouldn't pull the trigger.

I'll try to get a list up tomorrow. If anyone wants it, it's free. If not, it'll go in the squib barrel at the range.

Thanks, guys -

I have some bad ammo I inherited also - stored poorly.

Eventually I will pull the bullets with a kinetic puller and through the powder onto the lawn or garden - it is a nitrogen fertilizer so that's fine, just do it during the rainy season or water afterwards so as not to burn the lawn.

The bullets and shot can be reused. The shot can be melted down.

Don't throw lead into the environment please.

Pour a few drops of oil into the case to deactivate the primers.

Hate to say this, but it kind of sounds like you may have a mini-collection of cartridges. Check the headstamps, if all are different, I'd pack it up and move it with the rest of your goods, then give it to a collector down the road, take it to a gun show and see what you can do.

I have also been making a drop-off at the Metro hazardous waste facility, and they had taken in several boxes of waterlogged shotgun shells. So I know they'll take old ammo.

I've soaked old .45 acp primed cases in oil for months. Thinking yep the primer is now dead.

Stick the primed case a 1911 and pop! Just as loud as a fresh one...;)

Maybe I used the wrong oil?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads