JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SAF lawsuit challenges Illinois CCW statute

The Second Amendment Foundation late yesterday filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Illinois, challenging that state's concealed carry law, contending that the statute causes "deprivation of civil rights under color of law" and that the law amounts to a virtual ban on all non-Illinois residents from obtaining a concealed carry license.

<broken link removed>

SAF lawsuit challenges Illinois CCW statute

The Second Amendment Foundation late yesterday filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Illinois, challenging that state's concealed carry law, contending that the statute causes "deprivation of civil rights under color of law" and that the law amounts to a virtual ban on all non-Illinois residents from obtaining a concealed carry license.

<broken link removed>

Hm. This I have mixed feelings over. Illinois residents may carry now, which has already proven to be a hugely successful in short order at levelling the playing field for the average citizen. But this suit makes me wonder when SAF will target Oregon for such a suit - as it's pretty much the same way here. Oregon doesn't issue out of state permits to folks who don't live in a contiguous state, and so far, Oregon does not recognize any other state's permit. As positive a change as I see it allowing reciprocity or a permitting process for all non-residents, I fear that any legislative moves re: gun rights / right to carry will be negative in Oregon, positive gun bills never seem to make it through.

That said, I hope SAF wins.

Hopefully, plaintiffs in actions such as this one will eventually get around to invoking the "full faith and credit" clause to eliminate all State-imposed restrictions against residents of other States. There is no Constitutional need for State-by-State reciprocity laws.

Hopefully, plaintiffs in actions such as this one will eventually get around to invoking the "full faith and credit" clause to eliminate all State-imposed restrictions against residents of other States. There is no Constitutional need for State-by-State reciprocity laws.

You're right, it's calld "Constitutional Carry" via the 2A and is SUPPOSED to be valid for all citizens and legal residents throughout the Republic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top