JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Semi auto 22lr should I get for my kiddo?

• S&W M&P 15-22

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • HK 416 22lr

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have both the 10/22 and the 15-22 and my son and I shoot the 15-22 more often. I love that thing for what it is. Inexpensive, reliable, eats everything and just plain fun to shoot. The lightweight aspect is nice for younger kids who aren't as strong.

I do love the 10/22 and there are a LOT more things you can do with it, but we just use the 15-22 more often. I think if I had to pick only 1 to move forward with, it would be the Ruger, but that is just because of overall build quality and availability of replacement/aftermarket parts. That being said, those factors don't really come into play, at least for now and we love that 15-22.

I have never shot the HK and am not really a fan of the price tag that HK's command. HK's are very nice, just typically cost more than I want to spend on a given platform.

just my .02.
FYI re price, the HK 22s are made by walther and cost the same or a bit less than a 15-22. Hk 416 is currently $369-$399 and mp5 pistol or rifle about $429. 15-22 is about $415 now from what I have seen.

Neither....
How about a good old school clip fed bolt action?
Teach them control and making each shot count.
Or a semi and just keep pulling the trigger until you hit something!
Agree. Just my opinion, going from a Savage Rascal (I bought one for a grandson) to an AR-like thing is too big of a leap. A scaled up bolt action, or a simple, conventional semi-auto like the Marlin Model 60 (as already recommended) or similar might be a better progression. I'm not saying the child can't handle the AR-type thing. You might consider family politics as well. Your better half might not like the optics of a child carrying an AR. "Just Sayin.""

I plan on getting a 10/22 eventually. I can't seem to see a compact/youth version that has a threaded barrel so I can put a suppressor on it.
Does a child need a supressed rifle? Maybe children don't really require the stuff that we adults want.

I've successfully trained 4 kids with a 15-22. It's only been dropped once but there is no damage beyond a scratch. It s lighter than the 416, which makes it easier for a kid to handle and all of the controls are identical to those on an an AR which prepares them for their own ARs in the future. None of the magazines have broken despite having a lot of use. I'm very happy with my M&P 15-22.

Last Edited:
1673265602061.jpeg

Get em a SIG 522 SWAT Commando 😎

Pick one. traditional or Ar style. depending on how old they are would be a deciding factor. If the are younger than a traditional 10-22 for sure.

I got a Marlin 60 for my 10th birthday from my dad. Still have have it 43 years later. Thousands of rounds through it. Its the last gun I will ever gt rid of.

If getting 15-22 I agree with getting some mags while you can. Even though I have plenty of 25 and 10 round I tend to use the short 10 rounders the most. Much more compact and work good for bench shooting. They make the 10 round in short and long. The long are same length as the 25 they just have a 10 round capacity.

Sometimes the short 10 mags can be harder to find and are about the same price as the 25.

FYI re price, the HK 22s are made by walther and cost the same or a bit less than a 15-22. Hk 416 is currently $369-$399 and mp5 pistol or rifle about $429. 15-22 is about $415 now from what I have seen.
^^^I thought they were Umarex pot metal, same as the PPK 22 and a lot of the other 1911 22s etc.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

^^^I thought they were Umarex pot metal, same as the PPK 22 and a lot of the other 1911 22s etc.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
"Umarex pot metal" is a foolish statement and appears to be meant to sound derogatory. Umarex has owned Walther for the last 20 years. But ignorant people say "oh that's not a real Walther" or whatever bull they spew. Hk, beretta, IWI, colt, and others have agreements with Walther and Walther has built them in their same factory for years. I don't get into this "this is a real Walther, that is not" total bullsh!t. Anyone who has taken the time to educate themselves does not either, unless they are a complete dumba$$. There was some idiot on NWFA trying to sell a mp5 .22 for over twice the cost of new because it said "Walther" on the side. He actually thought it was a different gun built in a different factory so it was worth more. 🤣 What a dumbas$! 🤣

Last Edited:
Well someone is all fired up this morning!🤣
We get it bro, you're a Umarex/HK .22 fanboy. I'm a 15-22 fanboy. There is room for both. No matter the brand, let us all enjoy our chosen low power pew-pews…. :s0090:

Umarex pot metal is a foolish statement and appears to be meant to sound derogatory. Umarex has owned Walther for the last 20 years. But ignorant people say "oh that's not a real Walther" or whatever bull they spew. Hk, beretta, IWI, colt, and others have agreements with Walther and Walther has built in their same factory for years. I don't get into this "this is a real Walther, that is not" total bullsh!t. Anyone who has taken the time to educate themselves does not either, unless they are a complete dumba$$. There was some idiot on NWFA trying to sell a mp5 .22 for over twice the cost of new because it said "Walther" on the side. He actually thought it was a different gun built in a different factory so it was worth more. 🤣 What a dumbas$! 🤣
I don't know about "real" vs. "not real" Walthers but pot metal is definitely real. The only advantage of pot metal is cost.

I own a machine shop, so I am fairly well educated on these things. To each their own.

Well someone is all fired up this morning!🤣
We get it bro, you're a Umarex/HK .22 fanboy. I'm a 15-22 fanboy. There is room for both. No matter the brand, let us all enjoy our chosen low power pew-pews…. :s0090:
As I said before I have both. Both have pros and cons.

I can't say I'm a fanboy of any of the .22 brands I have/had: marlin, ruger, browning, mossberg, NAA, s&w, heritage, HK, colt, erma, beretta, Walther, wards, Jennings (shudder), armscorp and probably a few others I don't recall. I sure am an anti-fanboy of a few of them though (looking at you Erma and Jennings dogsh!t).

Last Edited:
Buy an AR in your price range and then get or build a dedicated 22LR upper. That way he is gtg later even if there is an AWB. The 22LR upper is always useful for inexpensive training.

This is more cost up front but more bang for the buck down the road.

I like the older version of 15-22 pistol better than new one. New one has a non removable fake buffer tube that you are stuck with no matter what. Old one you can add a 1913 rail for any kind of brace you want (including folding), or sling, or nothing, or add a stock (folding or otherwise) if you sbr it etc. Add a binary trigger for increased ghetto blastingness.
CC5D53B2-3212-49DE-943B-6CBB315E70C6.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads