JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Semi auto 22lr should I get for my kiddo?

• S&W M&P 15-22

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • HK 416 22lr

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Something else to consider is will they cycle cheap ammo. 22s are notoriously picky.

FWIW I am a 10/22 man. Upgraded trigger + tech sights (peep & barley corn). Good practice with AR/Garand/M14 sights plus it will eat anything.

I would skip buying a single shot .22 rifle unless it was used for precision bullseye. It does develop good habits in a new shooter, but can easily end up spending most of its life in the back of a gun safe.

I started my daughter off with a Rascal. Then I got her a 15/22 pistol with a brace, it's shorter and easier to handle than the rifle version. Never had a jam that was magazine related.

I have 3 10/22's and they all jam with the factory 25rd mags. The 10rd mags run flawless.

Yeah, I don't own any of the BX25 mags for my 10/22. Have had issues in the past and sold them. I just run the 10 rounders because they work perfect every time.

I'd go with a nice lower and 3 matching stripped uppers for now. That way you can build the 22 dedicated AR later, together. Then, build a 9mm upper, together. Then, build a 223/556 upper later as the kiddo gets older.

Or perhaps a Ruger Charger and a brace. Which would be more kiddo sized than a larger rifle.
Does a child need a supressed rifle? Maybe children don't really require the stuff that we adults want.
Sure. Kids don't always like things in or on their ears. That and guns are very loud, some kids don't like loud noises.

However, I've learned that size and weight are the biggest issues. Too big and too heavy, or too front heavy, tend to be the biggest issue when it comes to kiddos plinking.

OP, if you mostly shoot from a bench? I'd look at the Rascal Target model that comes in a mini Boyd Tactical stock.

If standing, the pencil barrel model. Even the. Most kids have a hard time holding the 16 inches of barrel up right with almost all of the weight of the gun is forward of the trigger guard.

I'd go with a nice lower and 3 matching stripped uppers for now. That way you can build the 22 dedicated AR later, together. Then, build a 9mm upper, together. Then, build a 223/556 upper later as the kiddo gets older.

Or perhaps a Ruger Charger and a brace. Which would be more kiddo sized than a larger rifle.

Sure. Kids don't always like things in or on their ears. That and guns are very loud, some kids don't like loud noises.

However, I've learned that size and weight are the biggest issues. Too big and too heavy, or too front heavy, tend to be the biggest issue when it comes to kiddos plinking.

OP, if you mostly shoot from a bench? I'd look at the Rascal Target model that comes in a mini Boyd Tactical stock.

If standing, the pencil barrel model. Even the. Most kids have a hard time holding the 16 inches of barrel up right with almost all of the weight of the gun is forward of the trigger guard.
I was actually thinking about getting a Ruger Charger eventually.

I was actually thinking about getting a Ruger Charger eventually.
Or just a10-22 receiver. Build your own in time.

A31AEA37-5826-4D0A-9343-A33ED2FE6C3C.jpeg 65A26947-FBE0-4517-B553-AA0A44275223.jpeg

Kids don't always like things in or on their ears.
This is a behavioral issue. They don't leave the hearing protectors on, they don't get to shoot.

Of course I've known a few adults who wouldn't wear them either.

It would look rather silly on a child old enough to shoot, but they make hearing protectors with chin straps on them for infants.

Having had my hearing ruined during military service, I'm pretty adamant about hearing protection for anyone who shoots with me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top