JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Semi auto 22lr should I get for my kiddo?

• S&W M&P 15-22

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • HK 416 22lr

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Hi all,

I am planning on getting a Savage rascal (this is a single shot bolt action 22) for my kiddo and another 22lr rifle for when he gets older. I am having a hard time deciding between the S&W 15-22 and the HK 416 22lr rifles.

I know the 15-22 is lighter and can accept standard AR triggers which is a plus but the HK 416 22lr rifle seems to be more well built. I plan on adding a red dot eventually to it as well.

What do you folks think?

Last Edited:
1672964376898.png

1672964130119.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.........
1672964618057.png

Last Edited:
I've got many miles on my 15-22. Have yet to break the poly upper or lower. I'm biased so I voted for the 15-22.

The Rascal is an excellent little starter rifle. I bought a pink one for my daughter to learn on when she was about 8 years old.

Hi all,

I am planning on getting a Savage rascal for my kiddo and another 22lr rifle for when he gets older. I am having a hard time deciding between the S&W 15-22 and the HK 416 22lr rifles.

I know the 15-22 is lighter and can accept standard AR triggers which is a plus but the HK 416 22lr rifle seems to be more well built. I plan on adding a red dot eventually to it as well.

What do you folks think?
I have the 15-22 rifle and Hk 416 22 pistol. Also have mp5 22s which have the same innerds as the Hk 416 (beretta arx 160 22, hammerlock r1? Can't recall the name, and a few others do also because they are all made by Walther in the same factory and use same trigger group/bolt/barrel design).

15-22 pros:

1. Accepts ar triggers including binary (at least the echo sport if you remove the trigger lock, no idea about Franklin armory).

2. Ar15 ergos

15-22 cons:

1. Feels like a cheap plastic toy. I mean everything feels like nerf gun grade to me reciever, "buffer tube", stock, sights, handguard.

2. Cheap magazines feel flimsy

Hk 416 pros:

1. Heavy, metal, feels like a real gun
2. Trigger pack is reliable and can lighten trigger weight and reduce reset quite a bit with the $15 spring kit from Hk parts (I have any extra unopened springs set you can have for free if you ever need).
3. Mine is the older versio and has metal Hk diopter sights. I think they changed that on newest version but not sure.
4. Magazines are extremely well built. Heavy, durable, smooth, easy to load, don't feel flimsy. Arx 160, hammerli, colt m4, Hk 416 all use the same mags so you can buy whatever is cheapest.
5. Easily Adjustable bolt speed via Allen wrench in the back. Helpful if you are trying to cycle real low power subs.

Hk 416 cons:

1. Zimak reciever - zimak can get a bit loose if treated badly over the years.

Both guns have been reliable for me. Both are red dot ready. I only keep 15-22 due to the binary trigger otherwise I would have sold it long ago. I really don't like the cheap plastic at all.

My old version Hk416 (pistol length) is more accurate than 15-22 (rifle) in head to head testing. However my newer Mp5 s are much less accurate than both the old version Hk 416 and 15-22, so I don't know if current hk416 reflects accuracy of the old Hk 416 (good) or more like the new mp5 (not as good). I would research accuracy results/impressions for the newest Hk 416 version to answer that question but it might be hard to find reliable info. Hkpro forum is a good source. If it's as accurate as the old one I would go for it in a heartbeat. The Hk 416 22 pistol is a blast and I would guess you will find similar impressions for the rifle (but just a guess, hkpro "clone" subforum should have more info.).

So it depends on what you value the most. If possible try to handle both. There is a huge difference. Btw fyi here is a great red dot I've been running 6 of them.

Last Edited:
I have a S&W M&P 15-22 and it is a fine, light, and reliable rifle. I purchased it because I initially wanted something in an AR format for a cheaper ammo practice rifle. Ultimately, it became more of a safe queen due to past, and since resolved, Project Appleseed problems with the rifle, which led me to build a dedicated AR-22.

In your case, not only the "who" is going to use it but the "how" and "why" of the purchase is also important.

If an AR manual of arms type rifle is not an important consideration, then I would probably go with a Ruger 10/22 or something like a Marlin 795. The Ruger 10/22 may cost more but has more aftermarket parts to upgrade it with.

Another old time reliable option would be something like a Marlin Model 60 or Glenfield Model 60 or a pump gallery style rifle.

Good luck with your search and choices OP.

Neither....
How about a good old school clip fed bolt action?
Teach them control and making each shot count.
Or a semi and just keep pulling the trigger until you hit something!
I agree, in my original post I stated I was going to start my kiddo off with a Savage Rascal, which is a bolt action single shot 22. The semi auto will be even further when my kiddo is older.

Spend a bit more and get a CMMG upper for an AR lower. It will last forever, and can convert to a full caliber down the road.
This 100% if you want to get an AR style or AR based 22lr. It provides for limitless configuration and future gifts to upgrade like triggers, handguards, grips, etc... My CMMG 22lr dedicated upper has functioned wonderfully both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Another alternative to the racscal fyi is the armscorp m14y. They run about $120. 18" threaded barrel. I have two and they are great for what they are, simple metal and wood bolt guns. 12" length of pull (youth size). They make great suppressed pesting guns.

Rascal might be better though for learning safety if it's single shot (I don't know anything about them). Cuz they have to put each bullet into the chamber which lets them see and feel the connection to empty chamber = safe gun, vs most guns you have to make a bit of effort to look into the chamber and you aren't touching each bullet going into the chamber. So from that standpoint rascal might be better.

Last Edited:
I have both the 10/22 and the 15-22 and my son and I shoot the 15-22 more often. I love that thing for what it is. Inexpensive, reliable, eats everything and just plain fun to shoot. The lightweight aspect is nice for younger kids who aren't as strong.

I do love the 10/22 and there are a LOT more things you can do with it, but we just use the 15-22 more often. I think if I had to pick only 1 to move forward with, it would be the Ruger, but that is just because of overall build quality and availability of replacement/aftermarket parts. That being said, those factors don't really come into play, at least for now and we love that 15-22.

I have never shot the HK and am not really a fan of the price tag that HK's command. HK's are very nice, just typically cost more than I want to spend on a given platform.

just my .02.