JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gun ownership spans all types of American communities, but it is particularly common in rural parts of the country. Among adults who live in rural areas, 46% say they own a gun, compared with 28% of adults who live in the suburbs and even fewer – 19% – in urban areas, according to a new Pew Research Center survey.

Rural and urban gun owners, in particular, differ in many ways. Three-quarters of those in rural areas (75%) say they own more than one gun, compared with 48% of urban gun owners. And while protection tops the list of reasons for owning a gun among both groups, gun owners in rural areas are far more likely than urban owners to cite hunting as a major reason they own a gun (48% vs. 27%, respectively).

Rural gun owners also tend to become gun owners at an earlier age. Among rural Americans who own or have owned a gun in the past, 47% say they became gun owners before they turned 18; just 27% of current or past gun owners from urban communities say they were younger than 18 when they first got their own gun. (Federal law bans the purchase of firearms from licensed gun dealers by anyone younger than 18. However, in many states, minors still can legally possess guns.)

Rural and urban gun owners have different experiences, views on gun policy

This doesn't really surprise me. One might even say "der doy" it's kind of that obvious ;)

The problem is though, say here in Oregon, is that the rural part of the state makes up the lesser population, so the urban centers are driving policy for the entire state. I identify more with the sentiments of those rural folks more than the urban folks, though I live and work closely among the urbanites. There are actually more than a few of us around, but when it comes time to vote, it's almost like the pro-gun folks seem to disappear - perhaps because they think they can't win?

I do wish rural Oregon got better representation, but I also realize the reality - numbers matter. If we can't find a way to improve the numbers of the pro-gun voters, we're going to continue going down the wrong path. And, as I've noted in other threads, we spend far too much time fighting over differences among gun owners (party affiliation, being the big one) that we allow the anti's, who can work together despite their differences, to continue to gain ground.

Until we learn to work together, despite our differences, we will continue to lose. Seems a simple choice to me, but not everyone seems interested in going down that road.

Public education has a LOT to do with this. I grew up in rural and everyone had a gun. In the cities where fewer have one they also have a school teaching them daily that no one should be allowed to have a gun. If the adults in the house don't shoot the kids often never do. I went to dial in the Wife's new .22 today. On way out I see a younger father, probably 30's with preteen son. Asking about price to shoot. He was a former Marine, so discount there, child was free with him. Guy was telling him on one day he could shoot totally free. I leaned in and said "guy, buy a yearly membership. Best money I ever spent. Gets me and the Wife here a lot more". He thanked me and as I was walking out he was asking about that option. Hope he starts bringing his son there regularly.

I wonder just how much of your exposure or experiences with guns, can shape and influence your outlook on guns and gun ownership?
I'm guessing a lot.
It may even be more influencing than where you live.

I grew up in the suburbs and also grew up with guns ... went hunting and shooting with my Dad and Grandad ... I got my first gun at age 5 or so ... I still have it and think of Grandad when I hunt and shoot with it.
Guns were always around and I never thought of using one in a unlawful or unsafe way.
This background still is with me and has shaped my views.
What has also shaped my views was serving the Army and 4 combat tours...

It would be difficult for someone to "change my mind"* on my gun views ... I think because of my life experiences.
Mostly they have been very positive with guns.
Going out with Dad and Grandad and learning about hunting , shooting and responsible gun ownership.
Earning the Expert Marksmanship Badge consistently while in the Army.

Some have been difficult experiences.
Going on 4 combat deployments and seeing first hand just what bullet will do to another human.
Knowing for sure that my bullets have indeed hit what I was shooting at during that time.
Having to tell a home intruder to leave my house or be shot.

All of the above have shaped and continue to shape , how think about guns and gun ownership.
Many things can come into play when seeing just why and how someone owns a gun or views guns.
I did like the article and think that it is a good start ...
But there are more differences in gun owners than just where they live.
Andy
* edit to note that I am open to hearing a different view...

Last Edited:
I wonder just how much of your exposure or experiences with guns, can shape and influence your outlook on guns and gun ownership?
I'm guessing a lot.
It may even be more influencing than where you live.

I grew up in the suburbs and also grew up with guns ... went hunting and shooting with my Dad and Grandad ... I got my first gun at age 5 or so ... I still have it and think of Grandad when I hunt and shoot with it.
Guns were always around and I never thought of using one in a unlawful or unsafe way.
This background still is with me and has shaped my views.
What has also shaped my views was serving the Army and 4 combat tours...

It would be difficult for someone to "change my mind" on my gun views ... I think because of my life experiences.
Mostly they have been very positive with guns.
Going out with Dad and Grandad and learning about hunting , shooting and responsible gun ownership.
Earning the Expert Marksmanship Badge consistently while in the Army.

Some have been difficult experiences.
Going on 4 combat deployments and seeing first hand just what bullet will do to another human.
Knowing for sure that my bullets have indeed hit what I was shooting at during that time.
Having to tell a home intruder to leave my house or be shot.

All of the above have shaped and continue to shape , how think about guns and gun ownership.
Many things can come into play when seeing just why and how someone owns a gun or views guns.
I did like the article and think that it is a good start ...
But there are more differences in gun owners than just where they live.
Andy
I kinda thank my dear elementary teachers in the big woods of Oregon. It was all about frontiersmen and the like. My Dad was a tight mouthed/autocratic Union man Democrat lockstep voter. He never had a chance. We never fought but there was that true difference in the bones.

Pooh Research- CAPT'N OBVIOUS DEPT STUDY FINDS THAT:

Residents of Palm Springs, CA less likely to own a fishing rod than residents of
Kenosha, WI.....
Residents of New York City, NY less likely to own a tractor than residents of
Grafton, ND....

I can do this all day.:rolleyes: Maybe Pew has a job opening for me.

(Pew!!! that there is one big, steaming, pile of ...uuhhhh....research.)

Last Edited:
Pooh Research- STUDY FINDS THAT:
Residents of Palm Springs, CA less likely to own a fishing rod than residents of
Kenosha, WI.....
Residents of New York City, NY less likely to own a tractor than residents of
Grafton, ND....

I can do this all day.:rolleyes: Maybe Pew has a job opening for me.

(Pew!!! that there is one big, steaming, pile of research.)
I didn't even know that you could spell "inbred".

In a lot of ways the findings make sense. People who grew up in rural environments would almost assuredly have more positive (quantity and quality) experiences with firearms. In a city, the use of a firearm has a high probability of being in a violent situation. In contrast, when you can walk out your back door and out into a field for a little target practice, the experiences one has are associated with good times. As a country boy, I had lots of good times.

I realize people in suburbia and urban areas can access ranges, but really, that's not the same as just stepping out back for some target practice. I wish the place I lived in now was like that but even though it is more rural than suburbia, it's not rural enough.

I grew up in urban and sub-urban environments. And @AndyinEverson touched on the subject as it came up in my mind, we had guns. I remember target shooting after church. I remember hunting with my grandmother while on vacation. I thought EVERY family had guns. It wasn't until sometime in junior high that I realized that some homes don't have guns. Heck, even my VERY urban, private, liberal arts college had a marksmanship club, with school supplied firearms, and we even learned to do some reloading in the basement of the student union building, with school owned equipment.

And that wasn't very long ago...

Hmmmmm... Perhaps I'm the odd fellow based upon this article and research. I grew up in the city, with a non-hunting, non gun owing family. My dad was a union man, his trade mandate it, and my parents towed the Democrat party line.

Growing up, I remember being interested in the pistols and rifles used in the cowboy shows of the day, like Bonanza and The Virginian, then later the police shows like Dragnet, Adam-12 and Police Story.

And I also remember my mom's stance was "no guns and no motorcycles in my house".

Well, as a responsible adult, I've managed to own both without ever an incident... And I still live in suburbia...

Hmmmmm... Perhaps I'm the odd fellow based upon this article and research. I grew up in the city, with a non-hunting, non gun owing family. My dad was a union man, his trade mandate it, and my parents towed the Democrat party line.

Growing up, I remember being interested in the pistols and rifles used in the cowboy shows of the day, like Bonanza and The Virginian, then later the police shows like Dragnet, Adam-12 and Police Story.

And I also remember my mom's stance was "no guns and no motorcycles in my house".

Well, as a responsible adult, I've managed to own both without ever an incident... And I still live in suburbia...

I grew up in a similar household - union, working class/tradesman family, primarily party-line Democrats. But my dad owned guns and while he didn't hunt, he did expose us to shooting. I even reloaded 12g shells for his trap shoots. Got my first gun from him at 14, which I know my mother wasn't happy with, but allowed. Strangely enough, by today's standards, I had a small gun rack in my bedroom and kept that rifle in my room, no direct parental supervision. I grew up in OC, not quite rural, but not downtown PDX urban either. Still, I grew up to be a union tradesperson myself, yet have leaned much more to the right. My father is on the R side himself now, while my mother remains firmly Democrat. Me, I reject both parties and very strongly believe in my 2A rights.

Oh, and we were allowed dirt bikes, but street bikes were an absolute no no. Funny she would bend on allowing us to have our own guns, but absolutely no pass on the street bike - and boy did I really want one back then.

Didn't read the whole thread, but a few factors seem to come into play:

Rural residents, even those who moved out here from always living in the city, are more likely to realize that:

1) they have to be more self-dependent when it comes to self protection - if for no other reason than it takes LEOs and others to respond - even neighbors.

2) they have in increased opportunities to shoot and hunt.

3) their neighbors shoot and hunt.

4) there are more wild animals out here.

I have also encountered an interesting number of urban residents who, when the subject came up, seem actually afraid of living or even visiting the "more that rural areas" (like where I live, in the woods, on a mountain, further out than even the rural farm areas). I on the other hand dislike living in cities (they make me uncomfortable - claustrophobic even), even though I have lived in one or another city much of my life after being raised on a farm.

It came as a surprise to me when younger that some folks didn't like guns or gun owners.
I never once did any of the bad evil things that the anti gun folks said gun owners did.
Nor did any of my guns or having them available cause me to harm others.

Growing up around guns and reading old gun magazines , catalogs and such it seems that the older the book , ad or catalog the happier or more relaxed folks were with or when they were around guns.

Nowadays it seems as if we have a very different outlook regarding guns and gun ownership than in the past.
Granted there has always been those that oppose guns and gun ownership.
But it seems to me that gun owners have changed over time in their views and outlook over why they own a gun.
I see a lot of "Fear marketing" in the ads of today.
As in "You need the new XYZ gun to protect you and your family."
Or the over use of the words Protect , Defend , Tactical etc ...

I have no problem with a gun to used as part of a "protection plan" as it were.
But this almost a cult of guns that are solely marketed as a defensive gun or one "just like the military uses" , has I think in part , been harmful to guns and gun owners.

Now before someone calls me a "Fudd" ... I don't care what gun you own ... Nor do I think one should be restricted in what guns one can own.
( Always assuming that the person in question is a law abiding US citizen. )

I am just saying that as a history and book nerd , I have seen a huge difference in guns , gun owner's attitudes and ad marketing over the years.
I wonder just how much of that can account for a difference between gun owners and or gun owners and anti gun people?
Andy

Last Edited:
It came as as surprise to me when younger that some folks didn't like guns or gun owners.
I never once did any of the bad evil things that the anti gun folks said gun owners did.
Nor did any of my guns or having them available cause me to harm others.

Growing up around guns and reading old gun magazines , catalogs and such it seems that the older the book , ad or catalog the happier or more relaxed folks were with or when they were around guns.

Nowadays it seems as if we have a very different outlook regarding guns and gun ownership than in the past.
Granted there has always been those that oppose guns and gun ownership.
But it seems to me that gun owners have changed over time in their views and outlook over why they own a gun.
I see a lot of "Fear marketing" in the ads of today.
As in "You need the new XYZ gun to protect you and your family."
Or the over use of the words Protect , Defend , Tactical etc ...

I have no problem with a gun to used as part of a "protection plan" as it were.
But this almost a cult of guns that are solely marketed as a defensive gun or one just like the military uses , has I think in part , been harmful to guns and gun owners.

Now before someone calls me a "Fudd" ... I don't care what gun you own ... Nor do I think one should be restricted in what guns one can own.
( Always assuming that the person in question is a law abiding US citizen. )

I am just saying that as a history and book nerd , I have seen a huge difference in guns , gun owner's attitudes and ad marketing over the years.
I wonder just how much of that can account for a difference between gun owners and or gun owners and anti gun people?
Andy

Easy there Elmer

;) :D

Been around 63 years now.

I have American Rifleman mags from the early 50s, before I was born and yes, attitudes and marketing of guns have changes significantly, and yes, there is significantly more marketing and buying of military and self-defense firearms.

One one hand I can see the why, but on the other hand I do see an increasing polarization and divisiveness between the left and right on many issues, including guns, and yes, that is not a good thing. Not sure what can be done about it though - human nature being what it is and few people willing to talk about it, even fewer people willing to listen.

Part of that divide is rural vs. urban, and I think it is only going to get worse with more and more people moving to urban areas, and fewer in the rural areas.

This has been something thats been around along time one can look back at the Revolutionary War and the Civil War and see the same similar divides and knowledge. In these two instances one side thought the other side was clueless to the issues even though the issues were the same the perspective was different.
In World history the larger cities dictated the larger less populated areas.

I grew up with guns was target shooting around age 8, and then for about 5 years as a young adult around 18 moved into a large Hispanic gang area.
Its not what you see on TV, not even close. Yet most that have not lived in gang areas have a taught by media view or they watch allot of COPS on TV and think thats how it is.
People see California as a Gun Restrictive State, not when I lived there. I was free to go shooting where ever I wanted . I didnt change the state did. Oregon Value changed, why some people never did.
As as been seen on some of my post on Unity Ive done here, gun owners vary across the state. I live in a very large county with a very low population of around 125,000 in a county the size of New York state.
We are mostly pro-gun owners here and a huge population of CC as well. We look at the rest of the state as clueless as we have so many armed people here yet its pretty peaceful for the most part. That contradicts gun violence in high population cities like Corvallis and Portland.

This division of gun owners on topics at NWFA, I think also reflect the Urban and Rural areas.
The fact we get along pretty well here in my county with Liberal -Democrat gun owners shows it can be done.
But its a taboo subject on this forum, and seems the closer people are to a large city the more opposed to liberal Democrat views they are. Probably because of the huge saturation of conflicting topics.
Without some leadership out there the rural influences will eventually die off, thats what happened in California and is happening in Washington, large out laying areas are losing rights and losing ground.
Yet at the same time wont discuss unity to grab the scarce populations and join them as one cause will be our undoing. Just look at laws passed over an over and its clear rural areas are losing their influence and by all account the last few years have lost most of it. The view on gun rights may vary from rurla to urban but seems the Urban areas are much more organized and have a greater influence in positioning their view on Gun Rights, for some reason they have unity much better organized and that may be due to the close population saturation making it a better communication resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top