JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like my guns. I like posting here. Never thought I'd enjoy the virtual community experience this much. I agree offensive material must stay away from the forum. But I take exception to the "religious discussions or material". Out of the 117 posts I have on this forum, the one I find the most meaningful would fall in this category.

I am a Christian first, a family man second, and a firearms aficionado third. I cannot and will not go against of who/what I am. If sharing my experience with Jesus will get me banned, so be it. But, if I am vocal about our gun rights, and enthusiastic about my grownup toys, I am more so about what God means to me, done for me, and can/will do for whomever opens the door of his/her heart. If this is strike two, then it might as well be strike three. No compromise.

Lovingly in Jesus,
LV

Which is the biggest tragedy of it all!

I seek to share the love of Christ, not to bring out the worst of people. But it happens. If the Master was mauled and crucified, as a disciple I do not expect less. This will be one of my last posts before I get banned, which is sad, but I will not compromise.

Are we so focused on the 2nd that we forgot what the 1st is all about? Aren't we also defending the second to ensure the means to defend all the others? Some food for thought.

Which is the biggest tragedy of it all!

I seek to share the love of Christ, not to bring out the worst of people. But it happens. If the Master was mauled and crucified, as a disciple I do not expect less. This will be one of my last posts before I get banned, which is sad, but I will not compromise.

Are we so focused on the 2nd that we forgot what the 1st is all about? Aren't we also defending the second to ensure the means to defend all the others? Some food for thought.

What is comes down to is that there is a place for religious discussions, this just isn't it.

Well I am sad to see pr787lv having this conflict and don't have a dog in this apparent fight, but I completely understand @ Link's rule about this.
This is a privately owned gun forum, as such it is akin to a magazine with a bunch of contributing authors.
The editors reserve the right to control the content to keep the focus on the topic.

If somebody got on here soliciting their certainty about how we should all wear saffron robes and chant Harri Krishna all day long it'd be pretty tedious real quick, just as would a spiel about the supremacy of Mohamed and how we should all follow what he wanted, and just as off-topic as anyone Else's' solicitation about any other organized religious group's dogma.

To me this is as sensible as keeping the political noise to a minimum and only as it relates to gun issues.

So maybe there could be a sub-forum where discussions could be held about what AR one Deity would use vs. the AK of Buddha or the TOW of Krishna, but I don't want to have to deal with it.

The point of the rules here is not to "restrict" any ones right to free speech OR their particular religious beliefs. As a Christian as well I have a very personal relationship with my Lord and Savior and I have plenty of battlefields to fight the good fight with regard to my beliefs.

This site just happens to be one where I feel that abiding by the rules is the best way that I can show my love for Jesus. And while that doesn't mean I will hide my light under a basket I am not going to go around shining my light in everyones face "just because" either.

Finch and Zero. Maybe you could send an all member message out about this. The last two messages you guys left were very well said and should make it the end of story.

Bryce

Hasn't this discussion on the rule about "religious discussions" turned into a violation of the rule itself?

If today we agree to prohibit religious related discussions, what will be next? The problem is not the topic, but the attitude of some people to the topic. Discussions need to be civil, well behaved regardless of the topic discussed.

I am not implying I want the freedom to post about churchy activities, my latest epiphany, or theological dissertations. I know they will no be appreciated. But if folks can post pictures of their pets, hobbies, girlfriends, significant others, is it so unthinkable I may want to share a "religious" post of what is significant to me, in a civil, respectful manner, with the people I consider my virtual friends, comrade in arms (pun intended)?

If someone starts a thread sharing he/she is having a really bad week, month, or life, is depressed, or hints doing the unthinkable, then ban those threads too, because if you don't, you can be sure I will post something "very religious".

I hope you can all see this forum is about more than just guns. There is a gazillion other gun forums out there. What makes this forum different? There is a ton of religious forums out there, too. That's where I post when I feel like posting something very "religious". God forbid any connection to guns. I was hoping this forum would not be fractured and compartmentalized as the rest of the world is. I am a complex multi-faceted person as all of you are.

I say, if a "off-topic" is in its nature honorable, it should not be censored. If anyone steps his/her bounds, then, discipline the perpetrator. Prompt and decisive action will speak more positively of the forum moderators than censorship. I am all for maintaining a good image. But IMO censorship will do more damage than the chance of having a discussion getting too heated up every now and then. By censoring any kind of religious related discussion we are punishing those (the majority) who can engage in it w/o losing their temper, for the sake of those (the few) who can't. That feels awfully close to what the liberal left wants to do to our guns!

Joey, sorry I broke my voluntary promise not to post here again. But if this rule stays "as is", I will withdraw my membership.

Hasn't this discussion on the rule about "religious discussions" turned into a violation of the rule itself?

If today we agree to prohibit religious related discussions, what will be next? The problem is not the topic, but the attitude of some people to the topic. Discussions need to be civil, well behaved regardless of the topic discussed.

I am not implying I want the freedom to post about churchy activities, my latest epiphany, or theological dissertations. I know they will no be appreciated. But if folks can post pictures of their pets, hobbies, girlfriends, significant others, is it so unthinkable I may want to share a "religious" post of what is significant to me, in a civil, respectful manner, with the people I consider my virtual friends, comrade in arms (pun intended)?

If someone starts a thread sharing he/she is having a really bad week, month, or life, is depressed, or hints doing the unthinkable, then ban those threads too, because if you don't, you can be sure I will post something "very religious".

I hope you can all see this forum is about more than just guns. There is a gazillion other gun forums out there. What makes this forum different? There is a ton of religious forums out there, too. That's where I post when I feel like posting something very "religious". God forbid any connection to guns. I was hoping this forum would not be fractured and compartmentalized as the rest of the world is. I am a complex multi-faceted person as all of you are.

I say, if a "off-topic" is in its nature honorable, it should not be censored. If anyone steps his/her bounds, then, discipline the perpetrator. Prompt and decisive action will speak more positively of the forum moderators than censorship. I am all for maintaining a good image. But IMO censorship will do more damage than the chance of having a discussion getting too heated up every now and then. By censoring any kind of religious related discussion we are punishing those (the majority) who can engage in it w/o losing their temper, for the sake of those (the few) who can't. That feels awfully close to what the liberal left wants to do to our guns!

Joey, sorry I broke my voluntary promise not to post here again. But if this rule stays "as is", I will withdraw my membership.

I get what you are saying... and I understand the difficulty you are having with the concept. I prefer to think of the "rule" more of a ban on religious "debates" where it turns into an arguement over who's halo is straighter and brighter. I won't pretend to speak for this site though so if my "interpretation" of the ban is in error I am sure I will hear about it.

I don't see anything wrong in sharing your point of view on a particular topic on this board provided it remains civil and mature (as you have stated very well) and if your faith enters into what you "type" here there's nothing wrong with that, it's a part of who you are.

If one is truly speaking from a civil and mature frame of mind, I think you'll know when you are getting close to "crossing the line" and if not, a PM from the mods will no doubtably come your way.

I hope my "opinion" makes sense... :)

ZeroRing,

I prefer we eliminate the rule. I am convinced it is a better solution. Then focus on disciplining bad behavior. Why? Who can accurately define where and when the religious fuzzy line is crossed? :s0131: Moderators will act like judges interpreting the letter vs. the spirit of the law. But when someone insults or disrespects a fellow member, it is very easy to detect. Perhaps I am too paranoid but this is the sign of the times. Too much of that in the world already.

But, I am willing to meet halfway, too. Notice my comment to Joey at the end of my post. After all, isn’t that what we gun owners do to appease the liberal left all the time? :)

If the rule stays, please consider a clarification/re-wording. w/o it, I will feel I will always have to look both ways every time I post the "J" or the "G" word.

“One must always choose the lesser of two weevils?” Capt. Jack Aubrey, Master and Commander :p

I find most if not all people don't like any type of religion forced or even have to engage it, unless it's on their terms.

A 2 prong example here;

1) You can't help anyone unless they want help;

2) You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. With a horse, at least you can lead them to water...but with humans, you can't even get them that far unless they want to go.

I find most people will admire a person by the way they conduct themselves overall in every area of their life vs. discussion about it.

There's no reason to discuss religion here, as it and politics are the 2 forum burners that I encounter. Any time 2 or more are gathered together, there will be conflict, and we don't want that spilling over into the rest of the forum.

So please, let's leave and end it here.

Ok friends, time to end this part of the discussion.

Thank you for for flying NFWA.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Mr. Link *(Joey), moderators, fellow members, et al.

My most sincere apologies for the aggravation. I have just realized that I have no basis to pursue a change to the rules. I joined this forum without reading the rules. The "No religious discussion and/or material" was in effect before I joined. I have based my argumentations on a false premise.

Therefore, since in no good conscience I can abide to the letter of said rule, let alone be a supporter of a forum with said rule, I have no other option but to, effective immediately, resign to the NWFA membership.

Thank you all for making me feel welcomed and sharing great information with me.

See you around

LV

I feel like some religions are more accepted in a gun forum than others. And while I feel all religions should be treated with equal fairness, it would annoy me to no end to hear someone praising Allah, Muhammad, Buddha, John Smith or whoever in their posts. So for the sake of everyone's sanity, I think it's a good rule.
Don't discount the fact that you can be religious without the need to let everyone else know you are. God knows, and that's really all that matters.

I feel like some religions are more accepted in a gun forum than others. And while I feel all religions should be treated with equal fairness, it would annoy me to no end to hear someone praising Allah, Muhammad, Buddha, John Smith or whoever in their posts. So for the sake of everyone's sanity, I think it's a good rule.
Don't discount the fact that you can be religious without the need to let everyone else know you are. God knows, and that's really all that matters.
Amen brother!:D

An episode of "Scrubs" pops into my head after reading this.

J.D.: What does he find "he-h-irritating" about you?

Paige looks at Dr. Cox like, "Well?"

Dr. Cox: Fire at will.
Paige: I've embraced the Lord Jesus Christ as my personal savior.
*Awkward silence.*

An episode of "Scrubs" pops into my head after reading this.

J.D.: What does he find "he-h-irritating" about you?

Paige looks at Dr. Cox like, "Well?"

Dr. Cox: Fire at will.
Paige: I've embraced the Lord Jesus Christ as my personal savior.
*Awkward silence.*

Come on now... no Jesus freaks allowed!! :D :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top