JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one, picked it up right after they became available, $189. It was the only one at the show that day, a black one (the one I wanted).

I already had a Heritage Rough Rider that I bought new last year. For an extra $60, the Ruger is far and away the better value. There's really no comparison. I like the Rough Rider, for what it is, and the Wrangler is a cheap gun too, but the Wrangler is in a class with real guns, where the Rough Rider isn't.

I think it's a great little gun for the price, very solid, simple, and utilitarian. If you want an old-school, heavy, shiny blued steel revolver, the Wrangler isn't for you. As to price, I have a hard time imagining them dropping in price much. It's a nice thought that maybe they'd be $150 retail someday, but I don't think that's realistic. That's pretty much Rough Rider price territory, and believe me, the Wrangler is a lot more gun than a Rough Rider.

Not that I know of. I'm not sure why not; it would seem like a logical thing to offer.

On the other hand I've often wondered about the practicality of magnum cylinders. I have one for my Rough Rider. I've used it exactly once just to make sure it works. I enjoy .22lr pistols for inexpensive, relaxing, recreational shooting. If I need something bigger I have plenty of other handguns.

Personally I've never had any use for the .22 mag at all. That's not to say I think it's a bad round or there's anything wrong with it; it's just that as a caster and reloader I can shoot any number of more powerful rounds cheaper. For a lot of people I'm sure it's great, but for me it just doesn't serve a purpose.

Update: Since first posting I've put a little over 600 rounds through the Wrangler and it shoots great. If I had more time in my day that number would be a lot higher.

Great write-up, thank you.
I'd really like to get one of these to replace my aging, out-of-time (and not worth fixing) Heritage Arms RR.
I didn't want to drop the dough on a Single Six or Bearcat, but I wasn't exactly champing at the bit for another Rough Rider... altho I'm a bit of a sucker for the birdshead grip.
And I agree w the above posts about the WMR cylinder... used mine maybe twice, then never again. The option would be nice to have for the people who want it. I, however, wouldn't bother to check that box.

Put some rounds through mine already and so did @MountainBear, he managed with a rest about a 2" group at 25 yards with bulk pack ammo.

My problem is finding an ammo I like so I can dial in the sights. I have too many flavors around here.

22 miniMags shoot really good too!

After reading a lot of internet scuttlebutt on the new Wrangler, the internet seems to think Ruger looked at the lack of durability in the rough rider with the .22 Mag cylinder and has decided they would likely have similar issues. I've seen multiple accounts of these not being planned in any other calibers.

On the other hand a birds head grip or even a Bisley with a 5.5" barrel would be spectacular options!

I shot one yesterday. No complaints, save one. The cylinders after 75 rounds or so took a good push to get into the cylinder. They didn't just drop in. I suspect a good cleaning, probably more often until broken in.

I have a rough Rider (with the 22LR cylinder), and later bought a 22 Mag cylinder. The timing is slightly off with the Magnum cylinder and when you shoot it, it shaves a little off the bullet as it is fired. I am thinking that Ruger doesn't want to deal with the timing between the two cylinders.

I have the same issue with mine; when it gets a little dirty the rounds are a tight fit into the chambers. Must be tight chambers. With a quick cleaning all is well again.

Call me weird, but I'd love to see them make a few of these in .32 S&W Long. I'd buy one tomorrow if they did.

Hey Folks.

On Saturday I picked up the new Ruger Wrangler and wanted to share with you my initial impressions and range report.

The Wrangler is the newest cowboy action pistol to come from Ruger.

Chamber: 22LR
Capacity: 6-shots
Fixed Blade 4.6" barrel
Finish: Silver Cerakote
Made in the USA

I purchased the pistol from Sportsman's Warehouse for $199 out the door.

I've never purchased from Sportsman's Warehouse. Does the "$199 out the door" statement hold true in that they do not charge the $10 BG Fee when purchasing from them?

After reading a lot of internet scuttlebutt on the new Wrangler, the internet seems to think Ruger looked at the lack of durability in the rough rider with the .22 Mag cylinder and has decided they would likely have similar issues.
This was my thought as well after reading much of the same.
As the former owner of a convertible Colt New Frontier I, like many others, used the Mag cyl one time with a box of .22 Mag I never finished shooting.
Ironically just last week I was shooting with a friend after growing up shooting his dads three screw Single Six, and inherited it a couple years ago, for the first time shot Mags out f it - and only because he was given a box! He shot two cylinders and switched it back.
I suspect most owners of a Wrangler never even considered the .22 Mag angle and could care less. Ruger probably predicted this as well.

Last Edited:
No complaints, save one. The cylinders after 75 rounds or so took a good push to get into the cylinder. They didn't just drop in. I suspect a good cleaning, probably more often until broken in.

Tonight I had a few guns apart on the new bench and I found the reason the cylinders were tight. I placed an oversized brush on my Frankford Arsenal prep center and gave every chamber a good long wet brushing.

Here is what I discovered. The before and after results were the same.

Why?

I have many different types of ammo here, some dropped in without a problem before the cleaning, some didn't. Same ammo before and after with no differences. Had to do with the case size at the mouth of the cartridge. Some were made well like CCI's which dropped on and Winchester/Federal etc didn't drop in.

We shot a good amount of CCI Saturday, then went to bulk pack.

Saw one at Bi Mart this afternoon. ($174.95 IIRC) Action was nice. Liked the trigger. I really liked the free spinning cylinder.
The silver colored sights were a problem for my old eyes. The mold lines on the frame were pretty noticeable.
I know the grips are supposed to be interchangeable with single six grips but the Wrangler grip felt a little cramped, so when I got home I pulled my old ('74) single six out of the safe. Maybe the Wrangler trigger guard is thicker, or back a tiny bit further on the frame, or maybe it's just my imagination. I don't know, but there might be a slight difference.
If I didn't already have a well-worn SS I probably would have bought that Wrangler though. I think it's worth the money.

I just bought one from Bi-Mart for $174 . Its the silver model and I ordered some new grips for it
Sellout.
Kidding... :D
I ordered some Rosewoods from ShopRuger.com only to be informed two days after I ordered them that they were now backordered.

Ugh. What gives eh?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR