JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1911 and SR9c are carried with a full mag, one in the pipe, cocked and locked.
My wife just got a little pink LCP for her "summer gun" and we're debating what state it should be carried in with no "real" safety to engage...

What state do all of you pocket and purse carriers carry your LCPs, Kel-Tecs, etc...?

-Case

Carry it loaded and in a proper pocket holster and there will be no issues at all.

If she is not comfortable carrying it loaded, then leave it home until she can either get some training or range time.

Carry it chamber empty until she feels comfortable with it loaded. I'd rather have a slow gun than no gun at all. Ask 100 people, get 100 different answers. Ask her to keep a mental count of how many times the trigger accidentaly clicks in her pocket after the first two weeks. We all know what that answer will be. Be gentle and helpful. Leading, not pushing her to the right answer.

This ^^^

But I pocket carry in a proper holster with one in the chamber. The point of a holster is to keep the gun pointed grip up and to keep anything from getting in the trigger guard.

If you want to safely simulate carrying with one in the chamber you could put a snap cap in there with the rest of the mag having real bullets until such time ask she can become comfortable with one in the chamber.

Has she had any indepth safety classes other than for the CHL? If not send her to some and take them with her.

Even though I took classes years ago, when my sons turned an age I felt they were old enough to start learning to handle a gun as a carry weapon I enrolled them and myself in several classes and I still learned things even though I've been carrying concealed for near 20 years.

I hope to take more classes with them this summer at Oregon firearms Academy.

Oh and "cocked and locked" and "one in the chamber" are the same thing on an LCP since you cannot uncock the hammer once a bullet is chambered. Because you cannot uncock it once chambered it is very important that your wife learn to safety the LCP when going from a chambered ready state to a safety state. This could be a very dangerous condition if it is not clearly understood.

Also +1 on the pocket carry holster, with a no safety weapon covering the trigger guard is your only safety.

The LCP was my first non safety carry firearm and I was nervous at first to carry with a round chambered and no safety so I did exactly what I recommended and carried with a snap cap chambered for a couple months to assure myself that nothing would happen.

In my bathrobe pocket fully loaded with one in the pipe, no holster, but a handkerchief cradling it to hold it upright. I also have a Crimson Trace on it.

Before I got the LCP I carried a P3AT the same way. Never a problem

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

I got mine to carry in the back jersey pocket when riding my road bike. Since there is a slight possibility of taking an unplanned ride sideways, I carry it with a full mag and empty chamber. I have it in the "rug" that comes with (the tan cloth zippered pouch sort of thing), laid sideways in the jersey pocket, zipper up, the first part of it closed.... and the gun placed so I can reach in from the top of the jersey pocket and the gun is in position to grasp by the grip, normal holding position. It fits in there perfectly, almost as if they'd made it precisely for that use and position.

My thinking is that, in event I'd need to USE the thing, I'd have at least a little warning time, and thus could easily rack the slide to chamber a round. I feel this is an acceptable compromise, having a loaded weapon quickly available, yet sufficiently safe the chance of an UD are nil, should I end up taking an unplanned excursion sideways across the macadam. Back when I carried my J-frame in the same place, I set it with an empty chamber next up... thus necessitating two trigger pulls before BANG. I never could find a suitable holster to contain the J-frame in that jersey pocket... so the risk of an unplanned trigger pull was, I thought, significant. With the LCP, the empty chamber serves the same purpose.

I do not carry the LCP except when on my bike... that is why I bought it. I have a different couple of carry guns, they are too big and too heavy for the back pocket on the bike. BUT-- that is MY unique carry situation for the LCP.... and was for the J-frame.

Planning on an extended ride in California, where I cannot carry even open, while loaded. I will have a leg holster, secure tab -lock, and carry it "California style", empty, but with a pair of speed loaders in off-hand jersey pocket. Legal, I've checked. Unloaded weapon, ammunition separate but ready. Again, it is dependent upon having a bit of time to arm the weapon..... but, in that strange country, there is no option. The LCP is not on their list of "approved weapons", no one in that state can OWN one, so I don't want to push carrying one.... thus, falling back onto the J-frame.

1911 and SR9c are carried with a full mag, one in the pipe, cocked and locked.
My wife just got a little pink LCP for her "summer gun" and we're debating what state it should be carried in with no "real" safety to engage...

What state do all of you pocket and purse carriers carry your LCPs, Kel-Tecs, etc...?

-Case

one in the chamber if its in your pocket if tumbling around in the purse i would say no good ?

If you want to safely simulate carrying with one in the chamber you could put a snap cap in there with the rest of the mag having real bullets until such time ask she can become comfortable with one in the chamber.

Has she had any indepth safety classes other than for the CHL? If not send her to some and take them with her.

Even though I took classes years ago, when my sons turned an age I felt they were old enough to start learning to handle a gun as a carry weapon I enrolled them and myself in several classes and I still learned things even though I've been carrying concealed for near 20 years.

I hope to take more classes with them this summer at Oregon firearms Academy.

Oh and "cocked and locked" and "one in the chamber" are the same thing on an LCP since you cannot uncock the hammer once a bullet is chambered. Because you cannot uncock it once chambered it is very important that your wife learn to safety the LCP when going from a chambered ready state to a safety state. This could be a very dangerous condition if it is not clearly understood.

Also +1 on the pocket carry holster, with a no safety weapon covering the trigger guard is your only safety.

The LCP was my first non safety carry firearm and I was nervous at first to carry with a round chambered and no safety so I did exactly what I recommended and carried with a snap cap chambered for a couple months to assure myself that nothing would happen.

just a point of clarification, The LCP is a double action only firing system, and being such it is never truly cocked at any time until you are pressing the trigger, I agree with most here that it is best carried in a quality pocket holster with a round in the chamber ready for instant use , god forbid should the need arrise. I carry an LCP daily as a backup weapon and never worry about an AD in this method of carry. Just my .02 worth.

UPDATE: (Hey, if Robert Stack can do it, so can I, right?)

I carried it 6+1 IWB (yes, I carried a razberry (pink) gun for my bride!) for a week... Her idea. She reasoned if I didn't shoot my rear-end off during a busy week, she would be happy carrying it herself. I graduated her to a snap-cap in the chamber with 6 in the mag just to err on the side of caution...

She now carries 6+1 IWB when there's room in the size 3 jeans, and in a pocket holster that she stitched into her purse when a handbag carry is more appropriate.

Honestly, after the first 12 rounds at the range, she was comfortable with the DAO trigger pull and realized that the best safety for the thing was covering the trigger guard well.

Thanks for all the input!

-Case

just a point of clarification, The LCP is a double action only firing system, and being such it is never truly cocked at any time until you are pressing the trigger, I agree with most here that it is best carried in a quality pocket holster with a round in the chamber ready for instant use , god forbid should the need arrise. I carry an LCP daily as a backup weapon and never worry about an AD in this method of carry. Just my .02 worth.
The P3AT is the same, in fact the LCP appears to be a very close copy of a P3AT although I haven't disected them yet either.

Double action schmuble action. It might technically be a double action but when it is "cocked" the hammer is halfway back and pulling the trigger moves it the rest of the way back and releases it. For hammers I'm a glass half full type of guy. Any amount cocked=cocked.:s0112: The only way it is not cocked is if you have dry fired it and the hammer is completely forward.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews