JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always one in the chamber, doesnt matter what the type of action, stored energy or not. I am positive that some idiot has shot himself because of this. But as long as every gun is loaded with one in the chamber you know how to handle every gun.

For those who recommended the snap cap, how is that any different from just having nothing in the chamber? You will still have to rack the slide for the first shot. I think the snap cap is even worse. The loaded-chamber-indicator tells you that the chamber is loaded, so, you pull the trigger, but nothing goes off, and so, you have to do the tap-rack-bang drill. You have just lost a lot of time there (if not your life).

For those who recommended the snap cap, how is that any different from just having nothing in the chamber? You will still have to rack the slide for the first shot. I think the snap cap is even worse. The loaded-chamber-indicator tells you that the chamber is loaded, so, you pull the trigger, but nothing goes off, and so, you have to do the tap-rack-bang drill. You have just lost a lot of time there (if not your life).

In my case, my wife wasn't carrying it with a snap-cap chambered to protect herself... she was lacking confidence in a gun without a hard safety mechanism. After a few days of NOT hearing the gun go bang in her purse, she finally realized what I've been telling her all along.... the safety is her brain, finger, gun handling routine, etc... Putting it in a good holster that covered the trigger/guard completely helped a lot too.

I would never advocate chambering a snap-cap if you were relying on the gun for protection, but for "unarmed practice carry to build confidence" I think it's a good way to beat the realization into someones skull that YOU'RE TAKING MORE RISK DRIVING YOUR CAR THAN BY CARRYING A LOADED GUN - EVEN IF YOU DO BOTH TASKS PROPERLY.

-Case

I have carried the Seecamp, Kel-tec 32 and now the Kel-tec 380 for many years. Always with a round in the chamber. The trigger pull is very stiff and that is the safety on this type weapon. The Ruger LCP is the same.

I always carry my pistol in a Galco Horsehide pocket holster. It holds the pistol tight and prevents any trigger movement. You have to deliberately pull the weapon out of the holster and place your finger on the trigger in the event you need to use the weapon for defense.

Spend the money on a good holster and don't waste your money on the cheap fabric holsters that will not retain the weapon and keep it safe.
A molded fitted holster works best, for the pocket, the purse our under your pillow at night.

With the long trigger pull on the keltec or lcp, a safety is not needed. I actually am more a tiny bit more comfortable carrying my keltec than my glock 19 because most of the NDs i've heard of are shooter error. the glock has a much lighter trigger pull and that trigger safety isn't going to help if you don't use the safety between you ears.(all guns should come with that safety:D)

Just keep your finger away from the trigger until you're ready to make some noise. That goes for any gun I don't care if you have installed a dozen manual safety levers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top