JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Ruger American in 308 shortly after they came out. It's got a Vortex 3-9 riding on top. It was affordable and I was having withdrawals and short on funds. It's been accurate at the range and just about everything I expected. So this year I drew an elk hair tag in a good unit. I've hunted elk for years with a M77 in 300 WM. But it's getting heavier as I get older. So I got some Nosler ammo, 165g, and figured I go a little lighter. Everythings cool 'cept this: Occasionally and often enough that it worries me, the second round hangs down in the magazine and wont pop up to be chambered. I have two magazines, both Ruger, and they both do it. It's not the ammo 'cause it does it with any 308 I feed it. Long story, huh? My question is, do any of you have a Ruger American's and have you experienced similar issues? Additionally, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Just skip the second round when you load the mag and go straight to the third round. Problem solved and now your mag holds one more round than advertised.

Honestly, the follower in my metal Tikka mag seems to be able to slide out pretty easily. Kinda misaligned my rounds a couple of times. But it works as advertised everytime.

Theres 3 holes you can carefully push the retaining tabs in then pop the end off the mag. Pull the metal blade out just enough where you can turn it and do a full 360 clockwise then push it back in where it will lock in the same place. Put the end back on making sure ya got the pin of the blade back into the hole on the end cap. Now there's a lot more pressure pushing the rounds up.

full.jpg

Theres 3 holes you can carefully push the retaining tabs in then pop the end off the mag. Pull the metal blade out just enough where you can turn it and do a full 360 clockwise then push it back in where it will lock in the same place. Put the end back on making sure ya got the pin of the blade back into the hole on the end cap. Now there's a lot more pressure pushing the rounds up.

View attachment 495586
Gonna give it a go, thanks

My new 6.5 does it.

My 5.56 Ranch does not with AR Mags...lol
My previous 5.56 Ranch did not.

It's a pressure thing

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show