JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just checking in to see how this project is coming, I'm about to start one of these myself. Likely with a Savage action though.
Slow.

I need to make some more loads and see if the error in groupings was the rest or the gun.

Just checking in to see how this project is coming, I'm about to start one of these myself. Likely with a Savage action though.

IMG_2898.jpeg
My 50 & 100yd targets were essentially one hole that was a little lumpy. I shot 4 round groups because that's what the magazine holds.

IMG_2885.jpeg

factory S&B ammo that was blowing up in my rifle... but shot good at 200 today. Little wind left to right. They were 140gr FMJ's.

Now that I've confirmed the rifle isn't the one having issues, I plan to load the 147's up again and go shooting with them to really check some accuracy.

147 ELD-M, 41.2gr of H4350 (i believe, it's that powder weight) and 2.800" COAL.

how is the neck tension on that starline brass? do you crimp? one thing i noticed when loading 6.5 into starline brass was that i could dang near push the bullet in by hand unless i crimped it, slightly. your load is near identical to what im loading for a buddy. i am using hornady brass, 143gr eldx and 41.5gr H4350 getting about 2630-2650ish and it has been excellent.

also, when youre shooting off of either of your rests, is the stock flexing and touching the barrel? (yes i read your posts about how you made sure your stock isnt touching. i thought mine wasnt either until it was and i had to shave off some more :))
Something is wrong with your die set, if neck tension is that loose. Trust me that it is not the brass. I know other guys that use a lot of 6.5 cm starline brass with absolutely no problems. Your die set is highly suspect. BTDT as well.

Resolved the previous stock issue with a custom cutout of the cofactors stock.

Then I fixed ugly and here it sits completed. Have a round dialed in and shoots great with suppressor.

67121AB4-AD61-4A2F-9AAB-DDF3AC3FAC23.jpeg
Grey Magpul stock.

this photo helps show the color contrast.
5FBF4944-EEE1-416B-9044-C5202A0396A2.png

IMG_3697.jpeg

First trip with the Magpul Hunter stock. No accuracy degradation. Used a bipod and a rear bag rest.
Using AICS 7.62 magazines by Magpul as the feeding devices.
3 round groups only.
IMG_3693.jpeg
#1: Suppressed, cool barrel. Not cold, just cool.
Adjusted optic down 8 MOA so my unsuppressed shots wouldn't be off paper.​
There was an issue at the range this morning with a jackass and "me too" attitude that pissed everyone on the line off. that happened between shot groups 1 & 2. Suppressor was hot but I grabbed it and took it off.​
#2: removed can, barrel warm, I wasn't too steady.
#3: put can back on, shot. I was a little wobbly and there was heavy mirage. Would have done better without seeing triple.
#4: calmed myself and shot. First two were the middle and right. last round I pulled on the left. Ugh.

I have the load I want (as evidenced with group #1), and I'm ready to get more loaded to take this further out beyond 200y.
I did manage to nail the 2" wide swingers one after another at 200y once I calmed down a little from the event.

Back to the loading bench to get this stuff ready to go for distance like Cake said.

Mine continues to surprise me! Have you tried running off the shelf shells in it?
View attachment 639386

I don't want this thread to die!!
The only OTS rounds I've used that I can remember were some S&B's that shot about a quarter sized group at 200 as shown at top of page.

Last Edited: