JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
UPS brought my threaded barrel today.
Guy

20211102_121731.jpg

A new ruger reciever and bolt will cost you as much as a used rifle that you will chuck everything but the bolt and reciever.
I just bought a Kidd reciever and bolt and it was $400.00 with a few extra parts throwen in.

Check out Tactical Innovations (the are not Tactical Solutions) They have almost any flavor of reciever to start a build; 80%, railed, lots of colors, lefty and stainless steel nitrite coated.

I built a lefty off their receiver and bolt. Nice product.

I'm looking to build one myself for medium/long range plinking; happy to see this thread. Can I get some feedback on this strategy below?

My plan was to buy the cheapest new 10/22 I could find (currently the carbine for $239 at sportsmans) and replace out the stock and barrel with higher end parts.

Barrel - Kidd Bull Barrel
Stock - Tactical Thumbhole Stock .920 Barrel Channel Black OverMolded Rubber

I just don't see the reason to buy an expensive 3rd party reciever/bolt... that could end up running $600 (plus a trigger). Is there any benefit to doing so?
I do believe in upgraded triggers, but I see being able to do this on the factory receiver down the line at some point....

Thoughts?

I'm looking to build one myself for medium/long range plinking; happy to see this thread. Can I get some feedback on this strategy below?

My plan was to buy the cheapest new 10/22 I could find (currently the carbine for $239 at sportsmans) and replace out the stock and barrel with higher end parts.

I just don't see the reason to buy an expensive 3rd party reciever/bolt... that could end up running $600 (plus a trigger). Is there any benefit to doing so?
I do believe in upgraded triggers, but I see being able to do this on the factory receiver down the line at some point....

Thoughts?
Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Looking to go crazy precise.

A volquartsen bolt will ensure better rim detonation over a stock Ruger one.

An aftermarket receiver with a second tang will be more rigid over the tension and single mounting point of a standard receiver. As well as having tighter tolerances and they are usually milled billet vs milled casting.

Besides precision, aftermarket parts offer nice features too. Like a rear port hole in many aftermarket receivers to actually clean the barrel properly.

Better coatings and or metal treatment on bolts. Better materials used. Etc.

Thoughts?
Even the cheap aftermarket receivers have a hole incorporated into design that facilitate breach to muzzle cleaning. The original design has you pulling the barrel for regular cleaning, which is easily done, but a flawed approach for a couple reasons. Factory bolts can be polished, and seem to work well enough. Barrels are all over the map price wise. Trigger groups too.
That BX Trigger is cheapest upgrade I see, and it's noticeably better than stock.

Even the cheap aftermarket receivers have a hole incorporated into design that facilitate breach to muzzle cleaning. The original design has you pulling the barrel for regular cleaning, which is easily done, but a flawed approach for a couple reasons. Factory bolts can be polished, and seem to work well enough. Barrels are all over the map price wise. Trigger groups too.
That BX Trigger is cheapest upgrade I see, and it's noticeably better than stock.
Go big or go home.

Depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Looking to go crazy precise.

A volquartsen bolt will ensure better rim detonation over a stock Ruger one.

An aftermarket receiver with a second tang will be more rigid over the tension and single mounting point of a standard receiver. As well as having tighter tolerances and they are usually milled billet vs milled casting.

Besides precision, aftermarket parts offer nice features too. Like a rear port hole in many aftermarket receivers to actually clean the barrel properly.

Better coatings and or metal treatment on bolts. Better materials used. Etc.
Pike arms trigger housing needs to be in that list too - well worth it if you will be messing around with trigger parts.

Thoughts?
Victor Titan stock if your receiver has the additional bolt at the rear for rigidity.

Titan + Kidd receiver is the way to go for accuracy (IMO).

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top