JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Make a good little grouse gun during deer season but it needs a decent holster to carry it. Same with the Contenders, it's a handgun so it needs a good holster.

Something that has extra ammo loops on it.

I've certainly spent more on dumber things. For the price of <2k primers, hard to get too mad at it. I think it's kind of an ugly gun that I would actually consider owning. Would probably make for a decent (not the best, but certainly not the worst you could do) survival weapon.

I think it is catered towards hunters that have been using 410 pistols to hunt Turkey. Being Rossi/Taurus, they don't just market their stuff for its designated purpose, that doesn't sell guns! This would be great for Turkey hunting, s long as you aren't scared of 2" Turkey talon/spur. This vid shows it and some groups.

I think it is catered towards hunters that have been using 410 pistols to hunt Turkey. Being Rossi/Taurus, they don't just market their stuff for its designated purpose, that doesn't sell guns! This would be great for Turkey hunting, s long as you aren't scared of 2" Turkey talon/spur. This vid shows it and some groups.

I'd have to see some patterns to make that determination.

Of all the shotshells I've fired through a rifled barrel, they have all patterned horribly, creating a donut hole with very little shot in it. That is something I absolutely would not recommend for hunting game, especially turkey.

People said the same thing about the keystone, chipmunk hunter pistol and I actually get a lot of use with it. It's a single shot, bolt action pistol and it's a ton of fun. It slows the pace of shooting down but let's you plink basically all day for dirt cheap (22LR) And I think I picked it up for like 190. I most likely will purchase the brawler.
It's good cheap fun.

Last Edited:
The site doesn't say if the barrel is rifled. I would make a guess that it is so the .410 shot is going to go everywhere.
below
In the video they mentioned that it is rifled, and that's how they avoid it being a short barrel shotgun
below
Of all the shotshells I've fired through a rifled barrel, they have all patterned horribly, creating a donut hole with very little shot in it. That is something I absolutely would not recommend for hunting game, especially turkey.
The .45 Colt .410 shot shell Contender barrels have a screw-in choke that is used to get the shot to pattern. New England Firearms used the same choke on their .45 Colt / .410 barrels. There is a Magnum Research BFR revolver that also uses the same Contender choke.

S&W bought T/C Contender and has issued a statement that they have no plans to produce anything new for the foreseeable future
You cannot buy a new Contender, they haven't been made for years following the S&W takeover. Basically, S&W bought manufacturing capacity when they got T/C, they changed how the assets were purposed to make S&W parts and contacted stuff for other firms.

If the Brawler fires and holds up, I don't see a downside. As a practical matter, most handguns aren't used for long distance shots. Price seems reasonable. It's not for me. After owning four Contenders, I discovered that I couldn't shoot them well. I'm even older and more crippled up now, so I probably couldn't do much with the Brawler however good or poor their inherent qualities might be.

450 Mongo cartridge
Huh. I was aware that some of the guys on Greybeard Outdoors were doing things like that to overcome the long freebore situation with .45 Colt but didn't know it had a name. I've got one of the NEF .45 Colt / .410 "Survivor" rifles. But I don't take it too seriously as a long distance shooter.

Those Contender choke wrenches / keys are like gold now. If you lose yours, Kahr Arms (for Magnum Research) sells a functional replacement for about $5. It's flat and doesn't have the T/C logo on it but works well. They also sell the choke itself which is identical to T/C.

I just watched the video. The hammer on the Brawler looks just like the hammer on the Henry single shot rifles and shotguns.

This is on my list of things I don't need, but I cannot live without for some odd reason. If I walked into Sportsmans tomorrow and it was there, they would have one less.

I often wonder why Taurus and or Rossi just don't do this sort of thing in common handgun calibers. If they did one in 10mm they would appear in mass to buy them. I'd love something like this in 9mm. Do 22, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm.

I often wonder why Taurus and or Rossi just don't do this sort of thing in common handgun calibers. If they did one in 10mm they would appear in mass to buy them. I'd love something like this in 9mm. Do 22, 9mm, 45acp, 10mm.
I agree, I'd buy one of each.

I have owned a Super Comanche .410/45 colt for many years. They were made in Argentina by Lasserre and imported by RSA.. It uses 2 different choke tubes to shoot the different rounds. Super simple to change out the choke tubes. They came in a couple of different barrel lengths; I think mine is 8". I paid $99.00 for it about 20 years ago. Mine was personalized with Cerakote :)

363699850_303454475541754_5324446114566682013_n.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top