JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks, Everybody!

I'm not in a rush, so I'll let that Rossi slide away and stay on the lookout for a .357. As I get older, the aches and pains start to build, so something with a smaller kick is probably a good idea.

Thanks, Everybody!

I'm not in a rush, so I'll let that Rossi slide away and stay on the lookout for a .357. As I get older, the aches and pains start to build, so something with a smaller kick is probably a good idea.
I think that's best. We have a Winchester 94 AE in .357. There's been no issues with running .38sp through it. And that Rossi 92, if it's the same platform, it's so much smoother action than the two model 94s we have. Full power .357 loaded with 125gr JHP over 20gr H110 are a tickle to shoot in that short rifle rifle. Those same loads in a 6" S&W 19 are quite powerful feeling.

I have a recent Rossi 92 in 357 mag and the quality of fitment, lack of precision found upon total disassembly is disconcerting. Also lack of availability of some basic parts from Rossi. If interested in the lever 44 mag i would go with the Henry as it is a heavier firearm and will help with the recoil. I have a Henry lever action also and the quality is far superior to the Rossi. Same for the 357, i would go with the Henry, unfortunately none were available when i wanted the 357 lever, the Rossi is a purchase i regret.

Thanks, Everybody!

Now, the hard part's going to be finding ammo in stock. Guess online is the way to go.

I have to try.
You can always load a 44 mag down.
A 38/357 will never be a 44.

The big thing here is not to provide a solid hold. Once it's sighted in to your liking don't sit behind it on a bench or prone.

I'm 66 years old and have a shoulder that has been subjected to throwing baseballs for decades. I manage.

I regularly absorb full power .35 Rem and 30-30. as well as a 44-40 fun load.
I'll admit that getting behind the .308 battle rattle isn't what it one was so I empathize.

Why not both? The correct number of guns is just one more. I wouldn't mind a lever gun in .357 but would keep the 44 mag anyway. If I had to pick one to defend the fort and feed my family I'd pick the 44 every time. IMHO, the 357 would be fine for a westside Deer or smaller game out to maybe 100yds. If it's just plinking then it really doesn't matter and sticking to lever guns I'd Just use the .22 Henry I've got as well.

I have a recent Rossi 92 in 357 mag and the quality of fitment, lack of precision found upon total disassembly is disconcerting. Also lack of availability of some basic parts from Rossi. If interested in the lever 44 mag i would go with the Henry as it is a heavier firearm and will help with the recoil. I have a Henry lever action also and the quality is far superior to the Rossi. Same for the 357, i would go with the Henry, unfortunately none were available when i wanted the 357 lever, the Rossi is a purchase i regret.
Interesting take. I picked up a Rossi R92 stainless in 357 with the 16" barrel last year and it's been great. Love the size and weight of it and it's run all the 38 special and 357 I've fed it. There are a few places online that sell a whole host of parts for it including tune up guides (like Steve's Gunz https://stevesgunz.com/). I have some parts I'll eventually install but the only real disappointment so far has been the bolt mounted rear sight I added (not a Rossi part) that replaces the safety doesn't fit well and I need to come up with a better solution. I also ordered a grey laminate Boyd's stock for it and was disappointed in it's fit and finish. The factory wood is fairly basic but is fit really well so I ended up deciding to leave it alone for now. Other than a fairly sharp edge on the receiver at the loading gate which I'll probably round a little bit, I've not encountered anything where I was disappointed that needed addressing. All my changes have been because I wanted to make them. Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been as good. I know Rossi used to be hit or miss but the Rossi forums seem to indicate more consistently decent rifles coming out in the last few years, although I would still bank on there being essentially zero warranty support.

Stolen photo, not mine (because this thread needs more lever pics!):
1678817796946.png

Side note: I do like a Henry rifle too, but one of my more recent purchases that had to go back to the mother ship due to a defect was a Henry .22 where the hammer was eating into the bolt right out of the box and they replaced the lever, bolt, and hammer. Don't get me wrong. Henry has great customer service with a quick turnaround, but the Henry had to go back while the Rossi didn't. I've been happy with both purchases though.

sixty7
thanks for your rebuttal/sharing your positive experience.
I've viewed utubes of disassembly of the stainless and i am of the opinion that the stainless is made of much better quality and fitment, may be wrong, but the internal parts seem much more refined from what i can observe.
note attached pic of my lever

lever_02_01.JPG

Always take a 92 over a 94… much less likely to end up with a cartridge under the carrier.
If going Marlin, try to get JM or Ruger… Remlins just stink. Watch for an action catch at full down lever stroke due to lever grooving the lifter (Marlin jam)
Not a Henry fan… heavy to hold and heavy trigger.
Rossi 92 for the money is great. Just delete the stupid safety and accept the wood will suck to look at.
Might also consider a Winchester or Uberti 73. generally faultless if they fit your face for the sight picture.

I have shot a variety of ammo in a stainless R92 with 16.5" barrel. Empty weight of that rifle was 5.5 lbs. For 44 SPC, my only experience was putting four in the tube and shooting them. I did not experience any problem feeding, but that's not much of a sample. Recoil was very light. Full power, 240gr handloads have plenty of recoil and many of us hesitate to shoot them, or only shoot them sparingly. In my opinion, they would be fine in a hunting situation. Handloading would provide many options in power and recoil level, and without going to the 44 Spcl case.

It is important to not let the bottom edge of the sharply pointed butt plate dig into one's chest or shoulder muscles. Instead, find a comfortable shooting position where that point is in your armpit. A recoil pad of any sort would be very helpful if one could find one a curvy enough pad to fit that stock.

Note that the recoil is not directly comparable to a heavy revolver like the Redhawk. The Rossi weighs more, but the longer barrel gives higher muzzle velocity.

Always take a 92 over a 94… much less likely to end up with a cartridge under the carrier.
If going Marlin, try to get JM or Ruger… Remlins just stink.
[/QUOTE]
This gets parroted over and over and it's not true.
I have one of the last 1895 Remlins and it's a perfect gun.
Watch for an action catch at full down lever stroke due to lever grooving the lifter (Marlin jam)
Not a Henry fan… heavy to hold and heavy trigger.
Rossi 92 for the money is great. Just delete the stupid safety and accept the wood will suck to look at.
Might also consider a Winchester or Uberti 73. generally faultless if they fit your face for the sight picture.
I have a Henry Big Boy and the factory trigger is awesome.

The recoil from even full power 44 mag through a lever action is so mild, It's way less than a 30-30. I regret selling my Winchester. Rossi I know nothing about other than their break down semi auto 22 was noi bueno.

The recoil from even full power 44 mag through a lever action is so mild, It's way less than a 30-30. I regret selling my Winchester. Rossi I know nothing about other than their break down semi auto 22 was noi bueno.
I would tend to agree with that, at least as far as the Henry Lever Rifles are concerned. Now, my steel side-gate Henry .30-30 has a rubber butt pad, which I'd guess helps soak up a bit of slapback. I have had a rotator cuff repair surgery, and find no problems with recoil from the .30-30 with any factory round or handload I've ran through it. I'd have to think that .44 Maggies wouldn't hit as hard as the .30-30 does in comparable barrel length and weights of rifles. I suppose given the heavier bullet weight of the .44 cal, slugs, those might have a tad more felt recoil, possibly......

Before I put the Ranger Precision trigger parts in the .30-30, the trigger pull was just slightly above 4 lbs., but with a tad bit of creep. It's down to 3 lbs. now, and really crisp. My .22 Golden Boy's trigger is a great one, at 3.5 lbs.. Next to my Umarex "Cowboy Legends" lever BB gun, it gets shot the most of all my guns. The .22 and the lever BB gun get shot the most mostly just due to ammo affordability, plus the BB rifle I can shoot in my yard whenever I feel like. I do handload for the .30-30, but not too certain on savings from that, especially with the price of primers and the other components nowadays.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews