JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Much talk about the Rossi 92 .44 magnum carbine, mine is the early model with the traditional half-cock safety, not the new-fangled lawyer-proof job. As such it's worth more to me than the newer type.
A couple years ago the thin, straight buttstock on mine broke clean off in a dropping accident. Totally my fault and inexcusable. That said, I had originally got the thing to match to my .44mag western-style revolver. Other than "looks" (and it's a looker) as part of a set, it's been about useless, really. I thought to use it for deer in the Ozarks (family there with property overrun by deer eating in their cattle feedlots). Well that didnt pan out as the deer seem leery and dance out of range. The wild boar there are pretty much open season all the time and do present problems for the farmers... but never did see any of those to get a shot off. Anyways I do reload for the .44 and can tailor my ammo as desired...
Back to the busted buttstock- I couldnt repair it satisfactorily.. and after a couple years of dithering, I have ordered a new stock from Rossi @ $70 delivered and am awaiting it's arrival. Hopefully they are a straight-up outfit and won't monkey me around... .
All that said, the rear sight on the Rossi is stone-simple- typical lever-gun style. IF I'm actually going to like this rifle, that must change. Scoping such a short range cartridge would be absurd, and defeat the "look" I bought it for.. open to suggestions as to what to do..
Have thought about those side-mounted rear peeps Ive seen on some older Winchesters, maybe they're Lymans? I got used to peeps on the Stoner rifles and like them.
My eyes arent as sharp as they once were- any suggestions how I might proceed?
I put a Williams Foolproof with a Fire Sight Aperture on the receiver of a girlfriend's Marlin 44 Magnum, and a Fire Sight on the front. Not long after, she hammered a nice Blacktail with it. Nothing BUT fast acquisition.

I like peep sights good eyes or not if scopes aren't your fancy. Even when my vision was good, they had difficulty adjusting from near to far quickly as I would like. Besides adjustability, Easily changeable apertures, small for fixed things or target, and large for hunting on the move, I would consider a must. They are like the analog version of a reflex sight. .
That said, my personal preference is for it to be closer to my eye than able on a 92 unless going to a tang peep.

Part of the improvement of peeps over buckhorns is that with most applications, the sight radius is increased dramatically
And it really is on a 26" rifle.

Here is my '66 Comem with globe and peep to illustrate the radius!

IMG_1616.JPG

Years ago :D when I was sent to a contract in Eastern Oregon I knew the area and took my Mossberg peep sighted rifle with me.

I was waiting to be picked up and taken to my machine when a rancher pulled up to the flag men. Got to talking about all the sage rats on his property and he said he sure wished he could get rid of them. I offered my services:D

Mossberg peeps sites on this particular rifle had 4 different front sites. I found if I started at the closet shot and put the globe on the target I couldn't miss. As the targets got farther out I went to a post front to see better.

By the time I was done shooting I had thinned out the grass eaters and not one body was left on the ground. Birds came in and packed them off, kinda a black blue Jay type bird.

Must have been a billion sage rats at one time eating the ranchers grass and predators would dig them out leaving a hole that the ranchers cattle would break a leg in. You could drive around in those days and ranchers would put up signs saying please shoot my sage rats.

Today's ranchers are selling spots to shoot rats.:)

Last Edited:
I have a Rossi 92 in .357 Magnum. I use two different loads in it. One is a subsonic using Red Dot powder and a 158 grain cast bullet. I use this for plinking, and it is like an oversized CCI .22 Long Rifle Standard Velocity round. Quiet and has almost no recoil.

The other load uses 125 grain jacketed bullets and H110 powder with a muzzle velocity of about 2200 fps. This shoots quite flat out to 75 yards, and groups nicely.

I put a Marbles adjustable folding notch sight (no buckhorn) in the barrel dovetail and use it for the subsonic load. This is a short range load and that sight works well. It is sighted in a 25 yards.

I mounted a Marbles tang sight for use with the high velocity rounds. I sighted this in to be one inch high at 50 yards. This gives me better accuracy at longer distances. I can use different apertures, depending on target shooting, plinking or hunting. It folds when not in use, so the open sight is unobstructed. I fold the open sight when using the tang sight.

The only drawback to this is that the tang sight is in the way of your thumb when folded, but that can be worked around. Since the sight in use is determined by the rounds loaded, and each sight is zeroed for a specific round I'm essentially point blank out to 75 yards on the high velocity rounds, and point blank out to 40 yards with the subsonics. I just pick the sight to use when I load the rifle.

Much talk about the Rossi 92 .44 magnum carbine, mine is the early model with the traditional half-cock safety, not the new-fangled lawyer-proof job. As such it's worth more to me than the newer type.
A couple years ago the thin, straight buttstock on mine broke clean off in a dropping accident. Totally my fault and inexcusable. That said, I had originally got the thing to match to my .44mag western-style revolver. Other than "looks" (and it's a looker) as part of a set, it's been about useless, really. I thought to use it for deer in the Ozarks (family there with property overrun by deer eating in their cattle feedlots). Well that didnt pan out as the deer seem leery and dance out of range. The wild boar there are pretty much open season all the time and do present problems for the farmers... but never did see any of those to get a shot off. Anyways I do reload for the .44 and can tailor my ammo as desired...
Back to the busted buttstock- I couldnt repair it satisfactorily.. and after a couple years of dithering, I have ordered a new stock from Rossi @ $70 delivered and am awaiting it's arrival. Hopefully they are a straight-up outfit and won't monkey me around... .
All that said, the rear sight on the Rossi is stone-simple- typical lever-gun style. IF I'm actually going to like this rifle, that must change. Scoping such a short range cartridge would be absurd, and defeat the "look" I bought it for.. open to suggestions as to what to do..
Have thought about those side-mounted rear peeps Ive seen on some older Winchesters, maybe they're Lymans? I got used to peeps on the Stoner rifles and like them.
My eyes arent as sharp as they once were- any suggestions how I might proceed?
Rossi has shipped my new buttstock! We'll see how well it fits...

I have a Rossi 92 in .357 Magnum. I use two different loads in it. One is a subsonic using Red Dot powder and a 158 grain cast bullet. I use this for plinking, and it is like an oversized CCI .22 Long Rifle Standard Velocity round. Quiet and has almost no recoil.

The other load uses 125 grain jacketed bullets and H110 powder with a muzzle velocity of about 2200 fps. This shoots quite flat out to 75 yards, and groups nicely.

I put a Marbles adjustable folding notch sight (no buckhorn) in the barrel dovetail and use it for the subsonic load. This is a short range load and that sight works well. It is sighted in a 25 yards.

I mounted a Marbles tang sight for use with the high velocity rounds. I sighted this in to be one inch high at 50 yards. This gives me better accuracy at longer distances. I can use different apertures, depending on target shooting, plinking or hunting. It folds when not in use, so the open sight is unobstructed. I fold the open sight when using the tang sight.

The only drawback to this is that the tang sight is in the way of your thumb when folded, but that can be worked around. Since the sight in use is determined by the rounds loaded, and each sight is zeroed for a specific round I'm essentially point blank out to 75 yards on the high velocity rounds, and point blank out to 40 yards with the subsonics. I just pick the sight to use when I load the rifle.
Somebody needs to make a tang & tang sight that fold completely back/down/whatever in such a fashion that it is "hidden".

Skinners look cool but a Williams peep or Buckhorn is usually better IMHO. Ill never own another skinner because their owner is a major tool, and some of the designs require drilling into the bolt. Terrible design.

Ill never own another skinner because their owner is a major tool,
Hmm, can't speak for the owner as I've never had any dealings with Skinner but I don't particularly care for the Skinner designs personally. I can see improvements that could easily be made but such is life.

Although Williams does not make a receiver sight for the Henry (maybe they do now - I am speaking of a few years ago) I discovered an easy way to make the Marlin 336 model sight work on a Henry without it HANGING off the rear as so many have complained about when using this sight on their Henry rifles.

I found if you simply reverse the slider in the mount, and mount the sight in REVERSE it sets perfectly on the receiver and almost looks like it was made for it.

I once posted this on a certain forum and several people responded almost madly to me asking why didn't THEY think of this before having a 3rd hole (D & T in their rifle) to make the Henry sight work!

Anyway here is the Williams' 336 sight reversed to work on a stock Henry.

IMG_0954[1].JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads