JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was browsing a local pawn shop and came across a Rossi carbine in 44 mag. The price was decent $650. It was nice looking, well-cared for lever action.

I'm seriously considering it, but to be honest, I'm not sure my shoulder can handle the kick from a 44 mag (I've got some constant soreness that is potentially a rotator cuff issue). So my question: Can I substitute 44 Special in a Rossi lever action, or should I give up on the 44 and look for a .357 instead?

I've heard 44 special has less kick, but some lever-actions don't work well with it.

Thoughts?

I think you'd be ok with a full .44

My lever gun experience with pistol cartridges stops at .357magnum however the recoil with that was nothing. Truly impressive how low

The only .44 I own is a Ruger super redhawk with a 7.5" barrel and it's not too mean, either with 240 grain magnums. I would guess the rifle being heavier yet would swallow up a good deal more and remember, it'll still be nicer on your shoulder than a 30-30 which itself isn't terrible

I had a Rossi 45LC for Cowboy Action a few decades ago.

Favorite mouse load was 200g cast FRNL over a superlative charge of Trail Boss.

Similar worked well for 44 Mag cases too in other Rossi carbines.
Good luck.

We have a Rossi stainless 20" in .45 Colt. If it's the same platform, the butt of the stock is considerably smaller than a Winchester M94. With an odd shaped, hard stainless plate that may make you want a poothy pad.

Of all my lever actions, the one I shoot the least is the 44mag... exactly for this reason; yes you can use 44spl but some lever actions are OAL sensitive, and might not properly cycle the shorter round; another option is to have a gunsmith fit a limb saver pad to your gun, or use a slip-on limb saver pad. Or you can just sell it and get a 357.

Another vote for the Limbsaver slip on pad. I have a Marlin lever action in .44 mag. After I developed arthritis in my shoulders, it got uncomfortable. I put on one of the Limbsaver pads and problem solved. I also like that it's non-slip compared to the plastic butt pad.

I just run a light load in a 44 mag case, W-231 with a 240gr lead bullet.
They cycle and shoot fine out of the Marlins and my buddys 4 4/8" super blackhawk.

OP, do you plan to reload for the 44 mag carbine you are considering acquiring, or will you be using factory ammo? If handloading, you can load 44 down to where it's doesn't kick much as Twodogs noted. I load mostly 240 grain coated SWCs in 44 mag that are are pretty tame (some are subsonic velocity). Shooting full power 357 in a rifle/carbine definitely has more blast and probably kick than these.

While not levers, I had the Henry single shots in 357 and 44 along out at the range recently. Based on perceived recoil, the light 44 mag reloads were more pleasant to fire than the standard power 357. The standard 44 mag definitely had some stomp to it, felt more like firing a rifle round.

I have the Rossi 44 Mag Carbine. With stump puller loads it can be a bit spicy but with 200gr RNFP 44 Specials it's very easy to shoot. One thing of note is that bullet shape matters, the round nose flat points work well in most any lever gun but some guns don't like the SWC's and most won't feed the full wad cutters.

Regarding the OP's question whether you can shoot 44 special in a 44 mag Rossi 92 lever action:

Yes, a 44 special round can be shot from the 44 mag Rossi 92. The challenge is if the round will cycle without problems.

I have a Rossi 92 in 357/38. I found that some factory 38 spl wouldn't feed smoothly, or at all. After a lot of Google-fu searching and my own experimentation, I boiled the issue down to the cartridge overall length and the crimp.

I hand-load my ammo and so I have to load 38 special with a long COAL and a heavy crimp for them to cycle smoothly in the rifle.

When I hand load 38 spl to compensate for these factors - my rifle smoothly feeds both 357 and 38.

If you don't hand load your own 44 special rounds and can't control your COAL and crimp, you might run afoul of the same issue with some 44 spl factory ammo.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

No matter what, a nice condition Rossi 92 in 44 mag for $650 is a good deal.

Cheers.

Last Edited:
OP, do you plan to reload for the 44 mag carbine you are considering acquiring, or will you be using factory ammo? If handloading, you can load 44 down to where it's doesn't kick much as Twodogs noted. I load mostly 240 grain coated SWCs in 44 mag that are are pretty tame (some are subsonic velocity). Shooting full power 357 in a rifle/carbine definitely has more blast and probably kick than these.

While not levers, I had the Henry single shots in 357 and 44 along out at the range recently. Based on perceived recoil, the light 44 mag reloads were more pleasant to fire than the standard power 357. The standard 44 mag definitely had some stomp to it, felt more like firing a rifle round.
I shoot factory ammo. No plans to reload.

Thanks for the input!

I haven't compared listed or actual weights, but a Marlin feels to me like about a pound heavier than the Rossi, in the same calibers.

Bruce

OP - come by my farm and I'll let my horse kick you a few times for free. Or you can buy that Rossi for $650.

That Rossi in 44mag isn't fun to shoot. I had that exact rifle and shot about 10 rounds through it. Then she got sold off. Pass and look for a 357.

I've never shot the Rossi. I did shoot a Winchester and thought it had a pretty stout kick.

Before selling, consider trying that Limbsaver slip on pad. It's less than $30 on Amazon. I think it made a big difference on my Marlin.

Don't know if it's mentioned, but I would load 44 mag cases to 44 special so you get the length. I've had a few issues feeding .38 spc in my Rossi 92 in .357mag. They're a great buy tho, and probably the one gun I'd keep over all my other rifles.

.357 is a light shooter, I can second!

I had a 1892 winchester lever in .357 It didn't kick too much and with .38 specials it felt like a 22 (However it did have the heavy octogon barrel and that may have helped)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top