JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sad news to hear tonight for sure. I agree that he had a great impact on this forum and many of the members here and will be missed greatly. My thoughts go out to his family and hope he is at peace.

Anyone venture a guess how many ARs he inspired? It was one of his threads a couple years ago that got me interested in the 80% game. Of course I don't personally own any guns, but if I did there'd probably be 6 in my safe thanks to the tips I learned from him. And at least 7 more I could count in friends' and relatives' safes because I shared his tips with others.
lots of them! he posted pics of his collection. i was impressed!

So I just found this on Facebook. There is a tribute site that is connected to Langdon Ironworks, Larry L. Langdon Tribute page. I can't seem to post a link with my phone but should be pretty easy to find.

Larry Langdon Memorial
Scholarship Fund
For
Aspiring Metalworkers

Dedicated to the memory of Larry L. Langdon #L7L,
a brilliant artist, blacksmith and mentor who always encouraged those who loved the craft to excel.
His Grandfather once told him,
"Always do everything as if it's the one thing in life
you will be judged on."
Everything he did was with that in mind:
caring about what you do.

Recipients will be awarded scholarships to further their knowledge and skills in the metal arts based on their financial need and passion for the craft.

Effective 8/1/2018
donations will gladly be accepted at any
Wells Fargo Bank
Or online Pay Pal to
Larry Langdon Memorial Scholarship Fund

#L7L #jessejames

Holly Shi#...
I was going to stop by his shop tomorrow...
His obituary pretty much sums it up...we had some deep convos when we built Ed's gun and went shooting... Hind sight 20/20
Wow..
Just wow:s0099:
RIP brother!

Having seen his collection in person I can tell you what he showed here was just the tip of the iceberg...he had the most impressive black gun collection I've ever seen. Most of them he built and/or customized himself. He was truly an artist. I learned quite a bit from him in the short time I spent there...
I joked with him that his AR addiction was highly contagious because after the first time I went over there my mild case became much more serious seemingly over night...
I was really looking forward to stopping by tomorrow and picking up more f bombs and steel targets... and dragging him out to the shooting spot he showed me near his place.

Holly Shi#...
I was going to stop by his shop tomorrow...
His obituary pretty much sums it up...we had some deep convos when we built Ed's gun and went shooting... Hind sight 20/20
Wow..
Just wow:s0099:
RIP brother!

I'm hurt and angry that this happened. And I barely knew him. We were "friends" via the interwebs. He trusted me and I trusted him, from our interactions here at NWFA. Each time I think deeply about this I start to tear up. We all sit here typing away and ripping each other to shreds over politics or other divisive topics that as an individual we can't change. No matter how hard we try.. And yet Larry was hurting to the breaking point.....

Damn it.

I know how your feeling @Kruejl Larry and I had a pretty good discussion going, We talked about all sorts of stuff, Diesel trucks, Welding, Different alloys for making different things, and forging all sorts of cool stuff! He shared lots of advice and wisdom with me, getting a basic forge set up and running, and choosing tools and equipment to make life easier. One thing that I noticed about him right off, he was a cool cat, genuine, and caring, and always willing to go out of his way to help any one who needed any thing!
I gotta stop, I got a few specks of dust in my eyes! :(:(:(

I was just looking thru my messages and voicemails. I chatted with Larry about some of his steel target the morning of May 31.
He said he was going thru some serious bubblegum but didn't say what exactly. Said he was closing his shop and moving somewhere.
I could tell he was upset. I had no idea he suffered from depression.

No clue later that day he wouldn't be with us anymore :(

I find it so sad that a man that made such an impact on SO MANY could find himself that lost and desperate.......

I struggle with understanding that too.

I lost my best friend to suicide 6 years ago, no one, and I mean no one that knew him would have ever guessed he was struggling with depression (until after his first unsuccessful attempt). The guy was literally the life of the party. He was friends with everyone, funny, kind, helpful. I don't think anyone didn't like him from the moment they met him. He had a loving family, a wonderful wife and 4 kids. His family loved him. His in-laws loved him. His friends loved him. It wasn't enough. Some of us knew his private battle, and while he sought help, it didn't stop him, unfortunately.

When we learned of his first suicide attempt, we were so shocked, we didn't know how to process it. No one saw this coming. There were no signs that would make us even suspect he needed help. How could such a kind, fun and loving man be suffering from such feelings? And keep them so hidden, from everyone?

He attempted suicide 3 times, the 3rd time, it put him in the ICU for a month. I saw him only once more after that event. He had everyone convinced that was the wake-up call that would turn things around. Shortly after that, on his 4th attempt, he made it permanent. I will never forget that phone call. I wish he would have called me that day. I wish he would have called anyone. In his mind, as in the mind of many that do this, they believe they are saving others from their pain. In reality, his death really harmed the lives of his family, his wife, his kids, his parents, his siblings. He thought he was saving them from something, but he did the opposite.

I've learned the minds of those suffering depression don't always process the logic of this. They sometimes think their existence is hurting others. And that's simply not true.

I hope for every story we hear about something like this, it helps at least one person considering suicide to find some help. Life is worth living, and those around you want you to keep doing so.

Last Edited:
I lost a brother at age 42 due to bipolar disorder/depression.
Hung himself.
People with mental health issues are all around us.
Sometimes it is very hard to recognize.

In my brother's case, they were changing his meds (don't know why) and it pushed him over the edge.
People in depression live in a deep, darkness that is hard to comprehend.

The knee-jerk response by some is to think, "That's a selfish act."
But it's a disease and like some others it can kill you.

Larry,
May you find the peace that eluded you in life.
Your posts here on the forum were always worthwhile reading..May you live on in the works that you created.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends , both on and offline.

If you who are reading this , are also struggling with depression...
Please know that the splash you make in this pond we call life affects many more folks than you might realize.
You who struggle , are stronger than you know...
Andy

I'm hurt and angry that this happened. And I barely knew him. We were "friends" via the interwebs. He trusted me and I trusted him, from our interactions here at NWFA. Each time I think deeply about this I start to tear up. We all sit here typing away and ripping each other to shreds over politics or other divisive topics that as an individual we can't change. No matter how hard we try.. And yet Larry was hurting to the breaking point.....

Damn it.
I struggle with understanding that too.

I lost my best friend 6 years ago, no one, and I mean no one that knew him would have ever guessed he was struggling with depression (until after his first unsuccessful attempt). The guy was literally the life of the party. He was friends with everyone, funny, kind, helpful. I don't think anyone didn't like him from the moment they met him. He had a loving family, a wonderful wife and 4 kids. His family loved him. His in-laws loved him. His friends loved him. It wasn't enough. Some of us knew his private battle, and while he sought help, it didn't stop him, unfortunately.

When we learned of his first suicide attempt, we were so shocked, we didn't know how to process it. No one saw this coming. There were no signs that would make us even suspect he needed help. How could such a kind, fun and loving man be suffering from such feelings? And keep them so hidden, from everyone?

He attempted suicide 3 times, the 3rd time, it put him in the ICU for a month. I saw him only once more after that event. He had everyone convinced that was the wake-up call that would turn things around. Shortly after that, on his 4th attempt, he made it permanent. I will never forget that phone call. I wish he would have called me that day. I wish he would have called anyone. In his mind, as in the mind of many that do this, they believe they are saving others from their pain. In reality, his death really harmed the lives of his family, his wife, his kids, his parents, his siblings. He thought he was saving them from something, but he did the opposite.

I've learned the minds of those suffering depression don't always process the logic of this. They sometimes think their existence is hurting others. And that's simply not true.

I hope for every story we hear about something like this, it helps at least one person considering suicide to find some help. Life is worth living, and those around you want you to keep doing so.

We are but dust and eventually, inevitably, we return back to that dust... how fragile we are.

The responses in this thread exquisitely illustrate how those who are worthy "live forever", because by the words from your mouth, and by the conduct of your deeds, ... SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, will remember your name.

In both a spiritual and secular sense, that's just about the best anyone can hope for, and in that take what comfort you will.

Peace.

Damn, another sad loss for NWFA :( I can't believe he's gone. 47 is way too young for anyone to go. So sorry to lose a good member here. I never met him in person, but bought targets and an F Bomb from him. He was very nice to deal with. His discussions here on NWFA were always on point. He was an asset to this community. His loss will be deeply felt. My condolences to his family.

Let's tip one back in honor of Ironmonster tonight, if you're so inclined. And, if you're extra inclined, try his favorite - coke with peanuts. I tried it once. It's weird, but also kind of good.

I hope to meet him one day in glory.

As a side note, from the sound of the obit, it sounds like this was a suicide. As I recall, he had also lost a son to suicide. My wife lost her uncle to suicide, and I lost my best friend to suicide. Please, if you are thinking about this, know that there is help and folks that are willing to listen and offer help to you. Please ask if you need help.

I have to pick my days (nights) for tipping one back but today seems to be going right.

To get the true affect, get you an RC Cola and use those greasy salted peanuts at a gas station. Good lawdy dats a good snack.:p

RIP Brother @IronMonster :s0090:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top