JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ed King, former guitarist for Lynyrd Skynyrd who co-wrote 'Sweet Home Alabama,' dead at 68

In this place that must not be spoken of, but where we drink and listen to music, I want to raise a toast to Ed King who played lead guitar in Sweet Home Alabama. Not the flashiest player on earth, and certainly way different than the soaring Gibson guitars of his bandmates (Rossington and Collins), Ed succeeded in NAILING that classic skinny raw Fender sound in one of the tightest, tastiest, most concise leads ever. Starts at about 2:18 in the original studio cut from the Second Helping album.

Made thousands of people want to learn to play guitar. And those who already did play better. RIP Ed!

RIP, he's now in the original Sweet Home.
Made two trips to Georgia earlier this year and ended up driving over the Chattahoochee River into Alabama a couple times. Crossing the bridge from Columbus, you see the typical green "Welcome To Alabama" highway sign, featuring "Sweet Home Alabama" in bold print. Unsure if Skynyrd borrowed that phrase from an existing folk expression, or the other way around, I looked it up - and it seems the state got it from the band. I wonder if any other musical acts, especially rock bands, are on interstate welcome signs.

On our second crossing, everybody in the van was ready with cameras and Mrs. Teflon had the song queued up on Bluetooth as we rolled onto the bridge. Lots of twenty-somethings with us, so when I yelled, "Turn it up!" I was the only one who got it.

Last Edited:
The co-writer of Sweet Home Alabama guitarist Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd passed on today. :(

There are not many old rock & rollers hanging around anymore, we're all gettin old...:(

Lynyrd Skynyrd Guitarist Ed King Dead at 68
Rolling Stone

The co-writer of Sweet Home Alabama guitarist Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd passed on today. :(

There are not many old rock & rollers hanging around anymore, we're all gettin old...:(

Lynyrd Skynyrd Guitarist Ed King Dead at 68
Rolling Stone

I was distraught & did not search to see if this was already posted, my apologies.

An era almost gone by but their music will live on.
They were my first concert at 14 yo & forever shaped my life along with ALL the bands of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

I'll raise my glass to them all tonight.:s0005:

I was distraught & did not search to see if this was already posted, my apologies.

An era almost gone by but their music will live on.
They were my first concert at 14 yo & forever shaped my life along with ALL the bands of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

No worries Jim. The other thread was in "that" section but I moved it to the open forum because it should be there.

20180823_183410.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top