JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't driving it but this would most likely be the first motorized bike I rode. Pic says June 1962 so figure dad was pretty proud of his creation and this couldn't be too long after building it. I was 7 at the time.

View attachment 366568

Frame, handlebars, bracing all hand bent and welded by hand. A CVT clutch system like on a snowmobile. That was a 6hp Briggs & Stratton motor on it. I remember Dad having to hold the throttle with his left hand when pulling the starter rope, which was on the right side. He had to switch back quick when it started so he could apply the brake which was on the left. Brake levers for both throttle and brake. There were small chains/cables keeping the front tubes from falling completely out if you caught some air with the front wheel. It's possible they figured that one out, the hard way!

View attachment 366569

Good share loved it I was born that year, love the large tractor grooved rear tire awesome.

The bike from MikeJ's childhood reminds me of a military bike Cushman built during the war, called an M53...

Cushman_53_001-997x682.jpg

I always liked that bike. It was sold to general public after the war as the "M53 Civilian Airborne. Eventually, the idea morphed into a bike they marketed in the early 60's called Trailster.

cush_076.jpg

Oddly enough, it also featured a dual range transmission. I'd like to own either one (leaning towards the m53, though)...and Cushman recently went back into business!
Cushman Motor Scooter

:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR