JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So growing up, I always had access to my dad's guns for plinking or hunting or whatever. One of my favorites was a Ruger Single Six, new model .22/.22WMR.

Many afternoons as a kid were spent putting holes in cans and practicing my quick draw with that gun. Well a few years later, as a teenager, I proved that that trust was undeserved by doing something stupid and getting that gun confiscated by the Spokane Police dept (nothing that would jeapordize my gun rights or anything like that).

Anyway I made things right with my dad and replaced it with a nice little S&W, made things right with the law, and moved on (I would rather face the law any day).

Saturday, I received a letter from the Spokane PD, evidence room and got the go ahead to retrieve the pistol, which I just got done doing.........18 YEARS LATER.

Just dropped it off to the old man and you should have seen his eyes. He said he bought it when he was 21, about 45 years ago Anyway, i should have got a picture but thought I'd share.

This bag is where it spent nearly 2 decades on a shelf somewhere. Lol

20170719_183932.jpg

That's great, slimer! Coolest thing I've ever heard from a police property room!

Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that my dad gave me the .22WMR cylinder a few years back which I sold figuring they destroyed the gun and I'd never see it again. I know you can get replacements which I might do, but then you need to have it fitted. We'll see.

Put a smile on my face. My father has one of the old Rugers as well, and like you, I spent many a day shooting cans and practicing my draw. Great story, and I'm really glad it found its way home.

So your story inspired me to call the Sheriff and ask about a S&W 41 of mine that was stolen and recovered and they told me I would never get back (because it was used in the commission of a robbery) Its been 19 years ago so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. The officer who runs the evidence desk is out of the office this week but she did leave me a message and said she would look into it next week.

A couple things struck me as odd during this process. The letter they sent me had a portion at the bottom where I could have someone else pick it up for me if I had it signed and notarized. Seems like a 594 violation to me? Or is nobody really taking that seriously?

Also, all I did was signed a paper that said I'm not prohibited. I wonder if they do a BGC after I made an appt, before I picked it up?

Edit, yes they do.

From the SPD evidence facility site

" Once firearms are authorized for release a full background check must be performed on every individual. This may take 3-5 days for all results to come back. You must schedule an appointment prior to coming to the Evidence Facility to ensure you can pick up your firearm."

Police Evidence Facility - City of Spokane, Washington

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR