JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I used to joke about being salvaged for my scrap metal when I died.:D
When we had the last relative "Toasted", I was joking with the Mortician about it and he said it was true.:confused: He said they save the metal parts and donate them to some local fund.:p
Ask what they do with the gold and silver fillings!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Wow... This is an alarming thread. I really didn't expect everyone here to be stuck on conventional retirement guidelines (See; government chosen magic numbers), For us younger crowd I personally feel we should plan on a retirement with NO social security or stock market (401,403 etc) support at all, If any thing is left that will be a bonus.
I am 35 and will be I guess you call it "retiring" at 40. I don't ever plan on stopping "working" or producing assets and self worth but it is going to be for my (Ourselves) from home. I will not worry so much about producing paper to give to someone for the things I can do for myself. I already have my 118 acre retirement property bought and paid for and the house I currently live in not far behind. I'm going to work towards having the lowest cost of living possible so any little surplus will be monumental in feeling.

Life and financial security is mostly perception in my opinion. Just as recent history as my grandparents had ZERO stock market investments or work sanctioned retirement, My grandpa did it all himself. My grandma turns 90 in a week and has been living on what my G-pa did for thirty years now.

Don't get me wrong... I am a corporate monkey now and have been for years, I put in 50-80 hours a week and contribute to a 401K and Roth as heavy as I can and am vested in a pension. I hope it's there when I need it but I really have my doubts.

I have worked with many now who just have to reach that certain level of "financial security" (Dollar amount) only to die in there operator chair or shortly after "retirement". I see more to life than that.

If you use lot's of debt to get ahead in life I would recommend getting at least one property free and clear and never leverage against it or let your bank know about it. I have tried the lots of debt route but couldn't sleep at night YMMV.

Maybe I'm the one living in fantasy land... I dunno.:p

"Maybe I'm the one living in fantasy land... I dunno. "

Maybe,Maybe not. It all depends on how you want to live and how much you can sock away, 8x10 cabin in the woods or country club in Boca? travel?, kids ? how much ammo you need? to be happy.
Don't confuse retirement age and the age you can start getting what you paid into SS out of SS, Medicare...or 401k's, qualify for benefits, etc....
It also depends on whether you are able to be brutally realistic with your planning, personal health probabilities, and if your wife really, really agrees.

Also don't equate leaving the corporate world to be self employed, with retirement.
It can be a bit insulting to those who have been self employed their whole life...
...being self employed is working.

Just my 1 cents (retired and saving 50% when I can)

"Maybe I'm the one living in fantasy land... I dunno. "

Maybe,Maybe not. It all depends on how you want to live and how much you can sock away, 8x10 cabin in the woods or country club in Boca? travel?, kids ? how much ammo you need? to be happy.
Don't confuse retirement age and the age you can start getting what you paid into SS out of SS, Medicare...or 401k's, qualify for benefits, etc....
It also depends on whether you are able to be brutally realistic with your planning, personal health probabilities, and if your wife really, really agrees.

Also don't equate leaving the corporate world to be self employed, with retirement.
It can be a bit insulting to those who have been self employed their whole life...
...being self employed is working.

Just my 1 cents (retired and saving 50% when I can)

I have weighed and considered all this above. I have had this plan since I was 19. Wife is more ready to go now than I am...Wife also works in medical field and will continue to do so a day or two per week as she desires to keep medical bennies and "Proven employment/income".

And as far as "Don't equate leaving the corporate world to be self employed", I don't nor have I ever, That is why I posted "retirement" in the first part of my second paragraph. So no need to be offended or insulted.

I do currently have my own business atop of the "normal" job and have had run others in the past and do some consulting work so... Yea I'm not expecting easy street as I worked hard to convey in my post.

Retirement in my mind will be hard work everyday until I don't need too. But it will be on my schedule when possible.

In my retirement I still work my choice of crafts:

Heart, Lane County Maple Burl, over Fifteen years since cut from the tree...

Dog Tag: Rock Maple from Florence Bowling Alley Rebuild...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Neither are finished objects, yet... I have them with me, to show them to a friend as he will not get to see them, when they are finished...

Both are gifts.
Heart is only sanded to Four Hundred, wet dry paper, finished in Super Glue already, it is impregnated to about 0.020 inches, if typical penetration occured.

Dog tag, is only at 220 grit, no Super glue yet...

I use a Super Glue, specifically designed as, and for Wood Finishing. It creates what amounts to Plastic Filled wood (cellular level) and I typically sand about Five Thousandths deep...

philip :s0022:

"I have weighed and considered all this above "

Good for you,
I hope it works out..it did for me..retired in "97(ish) at 43(ish)
The only "work" I do now is provide meals and a place to live for 2-3 foreign college students. Keeps the house full, provides decent extra cash, keeps me active,
and I'm cooking dinner anyway.

The only thing that is different than I thought ...yard work...I hate yard work.
Liked it when I was working...hate it now...go figure.
Still like shooting, fishing, cars, ribs, and beer, etc...
Getting less fond of the Christmas lights thing though...roof seems higher this year.

Getting less fond of the Christmas lights thing though...roof seems higher this year.

Wife grew more and more concerned about me on an extension ladder and bought a set of "Projector Lights." They are lasers that project little spots all over the house. Quite colorful, but they are green, and every time I walk out of the door, if they are on, I feel like I've been "Swatted'":eek:

"Projector Lights."

:) that sounds like a great idea...I'll need to get some ... because someone seems to have also shrunk my pants and turned up the gravity a few notches around here :mad:

Where did you get yours?

Got the Laser Lights on QVC last year, but I've seen them this year too.
They come in Red, White and Green.:D I've seen pictures of them using
the white (snow flakes) to augment colored yard lighting.:cool:

They have built in timers so you don't have to go outside to turn them on and off.;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top