JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't want to see:eek: Broken leg about a year ago. Was told it was fixed and sent back to work and well not so fast.... had to go back in and now have what is called a external fixator.

I have had time to reload and did get out once to shoot but now that winter is hear am stuck in the house....
We're in the NW for gosh sakes you need to either get a rain coat or sign up for Hobbit hole magazine. At least once a month It takes me less than fifteen minutes to hook one end of an 8 X 12 tarp to the canopy of my truck and the other to a couple of of poles tied to stakes and I'm drinking coffee under cover at my folding table whilst loading magazines. When friends come, one will bring a 12 X 12 free standing pop up and now we have a small community and a shooting party. Others may join in and bring some cheap fatty ribeyes we seare up on the Colman grill and we're picken our teeth and yelling at each other through our ear plugs the rest of the afternoon. Life is too short, the best investment you can make is a good set of foul weather gear. (then use them)

:rolleyes:
We're in the NW for gosh sakes you need to either get a rain coat or sign up for Hobbit hole magazine. At least once a month It takes me less than fifteen minutes to hook one end of an 8 X 12 tarp to the canopy of my truck and the other to a couple of of poles tied to stakes and I'm drinking coffee under cover at my folding table whilst loading magazines. When friends come, one will bring a 12 X 12 free standing pop up and now we have a small community and a shooting party. Others may join in and bring some cheap fatty ribeyes we seare up on the Colman grill and we're picken our teeth and yelling at each other through our ear plugs the rest of the afternoon. Life is too short, the best investment you can make is a good set of foul weather gear. (then use them)

Well I would love to go out in the rain:D but my friend I can not wear pants with this thing on my leg:eek: hell I can not even put on a real pair of shoes...... Ever tried to walk in the mud with flip flops:rolleyes:

External fixator, WOW!
I had no clue. Do now thanks to the internet. That's no high tech cast, more like an alien invasion.
I beseech your acceptance of my apology and my lack of understanding.
Hopefully, Dem bones will rise again.
Respectfully
Thor

External fixator, WOW!
I had no clue. Do now thanks to the internet. That's no high tech cast, more like an alien invasion.
I beseech your acceptance of my apology and my lack of understanding.
Hopefully, Dem bones will rise again.
Respectfully
Thor

No issues I love the thing. I like the stares people give me.... I watch kids and they almost walk into the wall staring:D

I've read, "Retirement is the biggest cause of death among the elderly". It seems to be hardest within the first couple of years. You no longer have to go out and compete with every other poor bastard trying to get by and the drive for survival among your peers is no longer a need. You're no longer a "warrior". Regardless of ones drive, there is a void. The old "Get a hobby" line is sound advice, but can only take care of x amount of your time. That left over amount of time is the butt kicker. Wish I had a solution.

Last Edited:
I've read, "Retirement is the biggest cause of death among the elderly". It seems to be hardest within the first couple of years. You no longer have to go out and compete with every other poor bastard trying to get by and the drive for survival among your peers is no longer a need. You're no longer a "warrior". Regardless of ones drive, there is a void. The old "Get a hobby" line is sound advice, but can only take care of x amount of your time. That left over amount of time is the butt kicker. Wish I had a solution.
Yeah well - been competing for over 40 years.

Right now, even though I am 60+, with regards to their skill/experience/motivation/etc., I don't think the "competition" I work with is making me struggle - even though most are half my age. If I worked at a smaller org which hired better workers, then the story would be different.

I enjoy my work, but most of the time I would rather be home working on my property. My line of work (Code Monkey) keeps my brain agile, but doesn't do the rest of my body any good.

I have never been one of those people who needed to work at my profession to feel fulfilled or to keep busy. I got more than enough stuff to do at home, and if I had enough time and didn't have to make a living, I would be out traveling, seeing and doing new things in the winter, while working around my place in the spring/summer/fall.

Retirement: It seems to be hardest within the first couple of years
I don't mean to take your words out of context, but I can see this being the case with me. Work is slow right now, so I've been enjoying 24-32 hr weeks so the younger guys with kids don't have to cut back. What I find is the day goes by and I've actually done NOTHING all day. It's good that I am experiencing what may be coming so I won't be blindsided. Not sure what the answer is though.

Before my current gig (3.5 years) I have been unemployed for months to years at a time. I never lacked for things to do and the only reason I wanted to go back to work was so I could earn money to pay bills. I always had stuff to do, but I always had to be trying to find work.

I am not quite at the point I want to be financially in order to retire, but I could if I had to - I just wouldn't be able to do what I want. Five more years I should be fine.

I have major plans for retirement, and plenty to do.

If I find myself bored, I could work part time.

I have watched people retire and then have fun for maybe a decade, and then their health turns bad and they can't do anything but sit around anymore. I want to do stuff while I still can.

Medical retirement is the worst thing that I could have ever imagined...:( Worked hard since I was 13 years old and squashed to never work again at 52.....:(

And yes sitting and idleness is the worst thing for anyone retired.... trust me, I know. That's why i fish, hunt birds and piddle in the wood shop when my body says it is ok to do so...:cool:

Last Edited:
I don't work a full time job for medical reason. But I still have active things I do for income, and they keep me as busy as I want to be. I also take grandkids to and from school, I watch them in the afternoons sometimes, I have 2 grand dogs that I watch during the week, I go visit a couple of old guys from the Lodge at the assisted living center, take them for errands, I drive meals on wheels twice a month or when the weather bothers the old folks who do it all the time. Staying busy is important.

I spent a month in a rehab center following my illness 3.5 years ago. 4 walls closing in on me 24 hours a day. 2 weeks I could not leave. My wife started springing me for a few hours a day and some good meals. A couple of friends came and got me to ride around in their pickups while they ran errands. Inactivity is a recipe for death.

And I can guarantee you, I can make a very effective cover for your cast with some construction grade plastic and 3M duct tape.

I've been retired for 3 yrs, love it!! I'm not bored at all. I can ride my 4wheeler out on back roads in 20 min from my house, shoot in the same area. I've got other guys who are retired i go and see, after i call them to make sure they are home, to make sure they don't mind me coming over. Then, if they have things to do, i help them out. Go downtown for a while, visit some friends down there. Retirement is what you make it. I've been offered a part time job where i used to work, told them, thank you, but, i've got things too do. Plus, if i take a part time job, it might take a job from a younger person who really needs the job.

I'm not rich by any means, but, we've saved, paid off 2 homes, and just pay what we have to have, lights, insurance, gas, etc. Get bill free, watch how you spend your money, and you can really enjoy retirement. Go into it with a mortgage on a house, car/pickup payment, and living beyond your means, you might as well die on the job.

I used to joke about being salvaged for my scrap metal when I died.:D
When we had the last relative "Toasted", I was joking with the Mortician about it and he said it was true.:confused: He said they save the metal parts and donate them to some local fund.:p

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I retired in 1999 at 51, but went back to work to get out of the house!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top