JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday was my first day of retirement. I will be 73 this month and decided it was finally time for this old dog to retire to the porch................and lay in the hammock with a cold one!

Old dog in hammock.png

Despite aches and pains, retirement has been the best time of my life and that even includes the partying days in my teens and twenties. Going on four years and haven't been bored yet.

Yesterday was my first day of retirement. I will be 73 this month and decided it was finally time for this old dog to retire to the porch................and lay in the hammock with a cold one!

View attachment 1287048
Enjoy every moment. Think about how far you've come and be proud.

Despite aches and pains, retirement has been the best time of my life and that even includes the partying days in my teens and twenties. Going on four years and haven't been bored yet.
That warms my heart. I've got a long ways to go. But never could understand people who were "bored" in retirement.. I would retire today if I could and never once be bored.

Well, let's see... I "retired" at 43, I'm 68 now and since my "retirement";
- renovated and flipped 3 houses in San Diego, 1 in Lewiston
- filled in as a sound tech at a local radio station
- Did some free-lance graphic design for a while (wayyy too much sitting)
- fixed and flipped 3 boats
- housed and fed 30 some-odd exchange students in SD and Lewiston over 20 years
- built some furniture for fun and profit
- raised a non-tattooed daughter that administers the Math Dept at Texas State University
- 3 shoulder dislocations, 1 broken foot, stroke, lost and kept off 65lbs.

My wife retires in 6 months...
....and then the work really starts! :eek:

Don't worry, odds are you won't get bored.:s0155:
The only tips I can offer are;
- Don't make any major lifestyle changes for the first year.
- Immediately make the bed every morning when you get up.
- The TV is not your friend.
- No booze for 6 months (well, give it a try anyways).
- Get dressed very day like you have something to do.
- have something to do..even if it's just washing the car.
- Practice saying, "get off my lawn!" , "Back in the day." and, "I didn't even realize I had one, but now it hurts!".

Congratulations!

What is on your short list of things to do that you couldn't do while in the working world?
Well, we are in the middle of remodeling our house. And now that I am no longer working, my wife's 'honey do list' is rapidly expanding! :s0026:
Hopefully after the remodel is completed, I will get a little time to go have some fun.

I thought I was a little closer to retirement than I am. My retirement funds have lost a good 10 year's growth in the last year or so and it has pushed my retirement date back some. I'll get there though. My dad retired three times because he was bored and had to start something new.... I'm gonna try to break that trend. 😁

View attachment 1287048
Congrats on your retirement. I just retired October 13 after 41 years at Precision Castparts Corp. I could not go anymore with the manual labor. Turning 63 in November.
Need to reserve my body for what lays ahead.

Welcome to the 'cool club.' I pulled the plug 5 years ago and Mrs. Teflon (somewhat younger) finally did earlier this year. Women warned her that she would be bored, and guys said she'd love it. The fellers are right. We've never been busier. The difference now is that we're doing things we want to - for people we care about. Congratulations!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads