JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Being a convicted felon costs you certain rights - as we are well aware, possession of firearms. But also voting and jury.

What should it take to get those restored?

Florida is putting that question up to the people. Why? - guess how they expect most felons to vote.

Floridians will vote this fall on restoring voting rights to 1.5 million felons

Should rights be automatically restored after the person is no longer under the control of the state?
Should they have to apply for right restoration from a court? (the current system)

Something else?

The problem is we don't have anyone in the Republican party with the balls to stand up and say enough is enough they want to give rights to criminal's and illegal alians .and take rights away from law abiding U.S. citizens .it doesn't matter what side you are on Democrat or rebuplican they all should be saying NO to this agenda

In both Oregon and Washington the law is the same

Individuals convicted of a felony are ineligible to vote while incarcerated, on parole, or on probation. Voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of all supervised release.

As long as the punishment is served, whether that's prison time and/or parole, ALL rights should be restored. Voting is just one of the rights removed. If we don't trust felons to be out and about, they should be still in lockup, executed, or transferred to the psychiatric care system. Incarceration is all about "retribution, incapacitation, deterrence and rehabilitation" as says google fu. If they're not rehabilitated, felons shouldn't be out of the criminal justice system. Period.

If they're "rehabilitated" they should be able to go hunting and carry basic self-defense tools. Even if firearms aren't allowed to felons, they're also not allowed to carry archery equipment as well as pepper spray, tasers or other non-lethal defensive weapons. Why not? I haven't seen too many felons go on rampages with a bow.

All rights should be restored after incarceration has ended and punishment is served.

If not, then just turn prisons into gulags and never let them out. This is America.

I'd love to agree, but the last couple times I had to pay to have my rights restored. I have met other ex-felons and not all should have their rights restored. Way I see things if a fella is interested in lawfully exercising his rights, paying to have them re-instated is a nice sign of responsibility

How does paying for the right to vote after a felony show responsibility? Felons don't need to pay for the right to drive or get married or open a bank account.

How does paying for the right to vote after a felony show responsibility? Felons don't need to pay for the right to drive or get married or open a bank account.

I paid to have my rights restored because walking around without a gun makes me feel paranoid, since the last time I was beaten and mugged--Apart from my feeling of support for conservative values the powers to be can cram my right to vote & as I said my 'jury' rights were never restored, in my lifetime I have never once received a postcard from the court for appearance in a jury--However my old crackwhore gf used to get jury summonses every 3-4 months:eek:

If you cant attest to her legality, why bring her up?

Also, you've said you paid to have your rights restored, then two minutes later said "Anyhow you don't have to pay to have your rights restored, but I prefer to not learn about doing it myself". So what is your argument?

No not....

We're not in an argument here. I'm asking as to whether or not you support restoration of rights after incarceration. It seems you do, but then again it kinda seems you don't...

I just think the Restoration of Rights is best kept exclusive, not granted across the board. Just because a law-breaker has done the time the court demanded, has no bearing on whether or not he is now a good enough citizen to be afforded his rights back. I never served time in jail, but if I had might I not now be even more of a criminal than when I first went in?

I just think the Restoration of Rights is best kept exclusive, not granted across the board. Just because a law-breaker has done the time the court demanded, has no bearing on whether or not he is now a good enough citizen to be afforded his rights back. I never served time in jail, but if I had might I not now be even more of a criminal than when I first went in?

So what's the exclusivity measurement then? Pay 50 bucks to get the vote back if you were in for stealing a safe, and pay 100 to get it back if you stole a car? 500 for felony assault, 1000 for murder? You're describing a government where anything can be bought at any price. Which to be totally honest is kind of where we're at right now, but I digress.

What's the payment options for crimes? Can you get a payment plan to vote while you make your payments, or does it need to be a lump sum? Can you finance it?

This is America. People deserve the right to vote, and I'll say it again: If you or anyone else don't think a man or woman that has served their time should be able to vote, then call your congressman and tell them to put forth a bill to change prisons into Russian-style gulags.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews