JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what's the exclusivity measurement then? Pay 50 bucks to get the vote back if you were in for stealing a safe, and pay 100 to get it back if you stole a car? 500 for felony assault, 1000 for murder? You're describing a government where anything can be bought at any price. Which to be totally honest is kind of where we're at right now, but I digress.

What's the payment options for crimes? Can you get a payment plan to vote while you make your payments, or does it need to be a lump sum? Can you finance it?

This is America. People deserve the right to vote, and I'll say it again: If you or anyone else don't think a man or woman that has served their time should be able to vote, then call your congressman and tell them to put forth a bill to change prisons into Russian-style gulags.

It isn't 'the gov't' that takes the money. In order for a felon to have their rights restored the former judge who decided their case or his representative must sign off on the legal paperwork. I chose to pay a rights restoration legal team to take care of the legal aspect. Once my rights were finally restored (took about a year) I tried to buy a gun, and found that the federal gov't hadn't yet received the news. It took me another 2 years to convince the feds that my rights really had been restored

It isn't 'the gov't' that takes the money. In order for a felon to have their rights restored the former judge who decided their case or his representative must sign off on the legal paperwork. I chose to pay a rights restoration legal team to take care of the legal aspect. Once my rights were finally restored (took about a year) I tried to buy a gun, and found that the federal gov't hadn't yet received the news. It took me another 2 years to convince the feds that my rights really had been restored

So in your opinion, felons should have the right to vote after they've served their time?

I have been through this. I lost my rights in the 90's due to stupid behavior that I was fortunately able to overcome. I got them reinstated in 2006, it involved going back to court and standing in front of the judge and making my case. I honestly think that is the right approach. I think there should be a process in place to reinstate those who show they are productive members of society for a reasonable amount of time ( In Idaho I think you have to wait 5 years after you have completed any court action) The reason why people lose rights is not to punish that person, but to correct society by removing those who would disrupt it. The "Correction System" is named for that very concept. It's not about correcting the person by taking away rights or locking them up, it's about correcting society by removing the disruption.

I'd love to agree, but the last couple times I had to pay to have my rights restored. I have met other ex-felons and not all should have their rights restored. Way I see things if a fella is interested in lawfully exercising his rights, paying to have them re-instated is a nice sign of responsibility

Except funds do not necessarily imply responsibility. There are people who are criminals that have no problem getting money in substantial amounts.

I think rights restoration should depend on the crime and the person and should be up to the courts and maybe even a jury?

Except funds do not necessarily imply responsibility. There are people who are criminals that have no problem getting money in substantial amounts.

I think rights restoration should depend on the crime and the person and should be up to the courts and maybe even a jury?

Unfortunately You seem to be under the impression that the gov't collects this rights restoration money, which is untrue--the money is paid to a law firm that undergoes the work to restore an individual's rights & no money is paid to the govt

If You really believe that JRuby, I guess you also think criminals look up the crime before they commit it just to make sure they really can do the time!!
That is something they might of considered. I think most criminals not all are on the slow side. I think ignorance should be painful
It aids in getting smarter and making better choices

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads