JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't know just how it happened, but I have some brass that I primed that won't fit my case gauge. Either I missed resizing it somehow, or my sizing die was set wrong. So how do I resize it without decapping or contaminating live primers? This is rifle brass, so carbide isn't an option. Thanks!

Dave

I've done it many times. I either just run it through the die again, taking out the decapping pin, or I just catch the primer when removed, and reinstall after resizing.

If you try to resize a primed case please ensure you use plenty of lube. A stuck primed case with a live primer is a whole new cup of worms. Most stuck case removers require drilling the primer pocket out and doing that on a live primer is not necessarily the safest.

As mentioned, remove the decapping pin and resize. Lube well but try not to get it into the inside of the case if at all possible.

No decapping pin or expander ball in my resizing die, I decap as a separate step, and expand with a mandrel. I lube with Hornady One Shot spray, my concern is using it on primed cases and possibly contaminating the primers. I also give my cases a quick clean in corn cob after sizing and trimming to remove the lube, seems like a bad idea with live primers. I guess I'll have to break out my old RCBS lube pad, then wipe them down by hand. Thanks.

Dave

No decapping pin or expander ball in my resizing die, I decap as a separate step, and expand with a mandrel. I lube with Hornady One Shot spray, my concern is using it on primed cases and possibly contaminating the primers. I also give my cases a quick clean in corn cob after sizing and trimming to remove the lube, seems like a bad idea with live primers. I guess I'll have to break out my old RCBS lube pad, then wipe them down by hand. Thanks.

Dave
I wouldn't worry about contamination with one shot as long as you're not spraying it directly down the case mouth.

Just wipe off by hand using some ISO alcohol.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews