JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HMM you don't know the old Winchester 30 ought (0) 6? Standard deer rifle for us young women learning to hunt in the 60's
After the rifle safety course and then I got so excited I shot a young (very young) buck right through his back bone. (I was aiming for his big Momma I had a doe tag) but they went behind a bush and he came out and got hit. I had no knife cuz dad was up cutting firewood. I ran to the house where we were at and they had no sharp knives (The wife was unstable and not allowed sharp objects) She gave me pocket knife and and ran up the side of the hill through the poison ivy and sawed that spike's neck. I was so proud at maybe 14 I think was the first year I could hunt. :p We had tender meat and I had a bad case of poison ivy all over my legs.

30 WCF
30-01
30-03
30-30 Win
30 Newton
30 Gov't -06
30-06 Spfd (same thing)
30-40 Krag

Ain't no sech thing as a 30 Winchester, unlike a western barrel bullet holder.

P

30 WCF
30-01
30-03
30-30 Win
30 Newton
30 Gov't -06
30-06 Spfd (same thing)
30-40 Krag

Ain't no sech thing as a 30 Winchester, unlike a western barrel bullet holder.

P
If it weren't locked away, I'd take a picture of it. Now remember I'm old and this old thing was mine back in the 60's. It's what my Daddy told me it was called. Don't shoot me if I heard it wrong. Now that I look at your list, it may have been a 30-30. I just think what I had was a 30-06 because it didn't have the same kick. Maybe I had a different brand and he had the 30-30. sorry.

Taking a page from Michael Mann's book.

Do what you want your character to do.

Go play paintball. This will teach you what it feels like to hug cover while stuff is flying through the air. This will teach you how fast you have to see a target and pull the trigger.

Buy an $8 compass at an outdoor store. Go to a park where you feel safe. Take bearings on different buildings and rocks. Draw a map 2 days later from your notes. Go back to the park a week later and compare your map to the actual location.

Have a friend give your picture to a couple of friends. Go to the mall with a one hour time frame. Go to all the agreed locations, food court, cell phone shop, anchor stores. See if you can pick out the people looking for you without them noticing you. Take notes of their descriptions. While trying to act normal, and not getting noticed by security. Later, check with your friend to see if your descriptions of the watchers were accurate, and see how well they followed you.

Go for a quiet walk in the dark with a trusted friend. Everything is different.

Your experience of doing these things will tell you what your character thought and felt.

I LOVE good fiction. I hope your book does well.

PTSD and "Flashbacks" can mean two different things...to many different people.

It took a long while for me not look at terrain and think of where to place my ambush or where a ambush might be...
PTSD or just a hold over of the hyper awareness that one needs to survive combat...?

Thinking back on those times in combat , even remembering sights , sounds , smells etc ...all in detail....Flashback or memory..?

How do these things affect your character...?

Do they make him more aware of his surroundings and the people in them...?
Loss of sleep...
Maybe a lack of patience with mistakes , both his and those of others...
"Survivor guilt"...
Protective...
Quiet and observing around others...
Avoidance of loud nosy places / crowds
Fully trusting only those who have also experienced combat...

Andy

I've never stopped. Walking or driving around in what is supposed to be your own country with the chance of getting ambushed or blown up by people who look exactly like you do, and speak the same language as you do, can do that to you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top