JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why wouldn't govt agents be well versed in backwoods skills?

Oh, and they wouldn't have to be anyways. They have full government support, don't they?

OP you do realize preppers aren't some underworld, yes? They're literally everywhere, just folks whom enjoy doing things cost effectively, efficiently & well. Local gardeners in an urban environment, farmers and ranchers out there in "rural land". Suburbians with a bigger back yard to garden nicely, and maybe have a chicken hutch.

There's a world of preparedness minded folks whom don't think of bunkers and fields of fire, that's just an attempt by main stream media at creating a bad stereotype. Self sufficiency, bad! Reliance on debt & government programs good.

Ah firefights ...and explaining....combat is very personal and affects everyone differently....

Firefights...gunfights...where you shoot at them and they shoot at you...
Folks miss at times...no one is dead eye Dick all the time with every gun they shoot...
Guns run outta ammo...
Stuff breaks or jams...
To even fight or is is better to hide or run...
How to run away / break contact...
Loud...ugly ...messy
Hearing and sense of balance can be affected...
They do attract attention...
Being shot hurts...
Some folks have a high tolerance for pain and fear...others do not...and just because your character acted one way in one firefight is no guarantee the he or anyone else will act the same way twice....

If he is on the run I would suggest that if he wants to survive that he avoids at all costs being in a firefight...
Evading is best , breaking contact if in one as soon as he can....and if needed to hit back with enough firepower to keep from being in another one....

As for woodcraft...does he like to hunt , hike , camp or fish....?
Andy

Humm. Another page in my character's profile. I'd say he should have some field background in his youth. However since he has no memory of his youth or family (like Jason/David) he will look at things and have a instinct of what to do. Shoot a gun, maybe not an AK but a hand gun and/or a rifle. He has to have some skills or this book is going to be just a How-To book. This is fiction. It has to be real enough to allow the knowledgeable reader to suspend belief for a while and just go with the flow. Take a journey of possibility not actual realism.

Why wouldn't govt agents be well versed in backwoods skills?

Oh, and they wouldn't have to be anyways. They have full government support, don't they?

OP you do realize preppers aren't some underworld, yes? They're literally everywhere, just folks whom enjoy doing things cost effectively, efficiently & well. Local gardeners in an urban environment, farmers and ranchers out there in "rural land". Suburbians with a bigger back yard to garden nicely, and maybe have a chicken hutch.

There's a world of preparedness minded folks whom don't think of bunkers and fields of fire, that's just an attempt by main stream media at creating a bad stereotype. Self sufficiency, bad! Reliance on debt & government programs good.
I understand what you're saying. That's why I'm here. I want to know about the everyday life style. There are a lot of doomsday types. I hope to include them as well. I'm looking at the people who have moved out of the city and live in communities they have built. Those who are like minded. They are there. I've read about them. I'm making up their locations, not using actual places. These people don't want gawkers. Not all of them are suspicious people. I believe some would be willing to help out my Main Characters on their journey.

Why wouldn't govt agents be well versed in backwoods skills? you tell me? would they be? I don't know.

This is fiction. It has to be real enough to allow the knowledgeable reader to suspend belief for a while and just go with the flow. Take a journey of possibility not actual realism.

All true...but you must have enough realism or the fiction , just turns into fantasy....
And fantasy in order to be good , ironically enough , needs a good grounding in real everyday things....

I just was pointing some things that I have experienced in various firefights and things that are often overlooked by those in Hollywood or the book writing world....
Andy

Humm. Another page in my character's profile. I'd say he should have some field background in his youth. However since he has no memory of his youth or family (like Jason/David) he will look at things and have a instinct of what to do. Shoot a gun, maybe not an AK but a hand gun and/or a rifle. He has to have some skills or this book is going to be just a How-To book. This is fiction. It has to be real enough to allow the knowledgeable reader to suspend belief for a while and just go with the flow. Take a journey of possibility not actual realism.

I'm quite confused.

This is Northwest Firearms. We believe the 2nd Amendment is best defended through grass-roots organization, education, and advocacy centered around individual gun owners. It is our mission to encourage, organize, and support these efforts throughout Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

OP, what, exactly are your firearms skills, interests & experiences? That may help us, help you in your writing efforts.

Do you own a handgun? What kind.

Do you own a long gun? What kind.

No to either, or both. That's fine, do you have an interest in either? If so, what.

That would help further along your discussion and perhaps a novel work. Ex, have you ever gone afield with any of your firearms? Perhaps going for some grouse or field squeaks? Perhaps just going out to some safe public lands for responsible target practice.

Mind, that it's OK if you haven't on any account, but what your experience(s) will help guide responses to your inquires...

All true...but you must have enough realism or the fiction , just turns into fantasy....
And fantasy in order to be good , ironically enough , needs a good grounding in real everyday things....

I just was pointing some things that I have experienced in various firefights and things that are often overlooked by those in Hollywood or the book writing world....
Andy

I appreciate your points. They will all be noted. As I said this has to be real enough not to be a fantasy or sci fi just enough fiction to keep the story moving. Its why fiction is popular. If it were real it would be a documentary. Movies like Shooter and the Bourne Series are about a character in a completely unbelievable situation. If the writer is good, the character devolpment and plot will be strong enough to suspend reality for those short moments. I hope I can be that good. We'll see.

I'm quite confused.

This is Northwest Firearms. We believe the 2nd Amendment is best defended through grass-roots organization, education, and advocacy centered around individual gun owners. It is our mission to encourage, organize, and support these efforts throughout Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

OP, what, exactly are your firearms skills, interests & experiences? That may help us, help you in your writing efforts.

Do you own a handgun? What kind.

Do you own a long gun? What kind.

No to either, or both. That's fine, do you have an interest in either? If so, what.

That would help further along your discussion and perhaps a novel work. Ex, have you ever gone afield with any of your firearms? Perhaps going for some grouse or field squeaks? Perhaps just going out to some safe public lands for responsible target practice.

Mind, that it's OK if you haven't on any account, but what your experience(s) will help guide responses to your inquires...
hmm dare I say? My experience is limited. My hubby want me to get me cnc but isn't home long enough to get me trained. The list of guns we have are about 8 and I'm not listing them here. My husband went through a period of reloading his own and stock piling. If needed I could hold off any intrusion for quite awhile. Nuf said.
I've been reading posts all over this site and they aren't all gun related all the time. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my questions. I figured this site would have the most expert knowledge about what I need to know. If not, I'll look elsewhere.
I have two book published. One i'm in the process of republishing this weekend when my previous publisher gave it back to me. You can find me on Amazon. under Christina Weaver and CM Weaver. I'm not spamming.

hmm dare I say? My experience is limited. My hubby want me to get me cnc but isn't home long enough to get me trained. The list of guns we have are about 8 and I'm not listing them here. My husband went through a period of reloading his own and stock piling. If needed I could hold off any intrusion for quite awhile. Nuf said.
I've been reading posts all over this site and they aren't all gun related all the time. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my questions. I figured this site would have the most expert knowledge about what I need to know. If not, I'll look elsewhere.

That's a start & nothing dubious about it. In your writing you may consider how & what someone might carry with them thru the forest, and why.

Have you gone walking in the forest, hiking in the forest, or perhaps overnight camping in the forest?

As opposed to car camping at a state campground and then dayhikes? Extrapolate from such. What would you carry, and why. How would you get home, if your cell wasn't working and your car wouldn't start?

I appreciate your points. They will all be noted. As I said this has to be real enough not to be a fantasy or sci fi just enough fiction to keep the story moving. Its why fiction is popular. If it were real it would be a documentary. Movies like Shooter and the Bourne Series are about a character in a completely unbelievable situation. If the writer is good, the character devolpment and plot will be strong enough to suspend reality for those short moments. I hope I can be that good. We'll see.
I do understand how good fiction works and the difference between fiction and a documentary.
I read a lot of both fiction and non-fiction.

With that said...
One thing that annoys me as a reader is when the character who is supposed to be an expert or at least has experience in doing things , that I enjoy or know of...gets things wrong in how to go about doing said actions , things or activities ...

Details count...and yes your character can indeed be in a unbelievable situation...but if the details are wrong...then it just doesn't work for me....

And with that said all readers are different some will care , some won't about those details...some won't even know they were supposed to there in the first place...

So again I wish you luck here...and hope to have been of some help.
Andy

That's a start & nothing dubious about it. In your writing you may consider how & what someone might carry with them thru the forest, and why.

Have you gone walking in the forest, hiking in the forest, or perhaps overnight camping in the forest?

As opposed to car camping at a state campground and then dayhikes? Extrapolate from such. What would you carry, and why. How would you get home, if your cell wasn't working and your car wouldn't start?
Good question. Yes I have been camping, not alot as I'm pretty much a city girl. I do have many friends to get that kind of info from. They can't have phones or any communication devices as the can be monitored by the Agent. I think buying from an Army Surplus type store would get them what they need. I'm sure HELPFUL sales people would make sure they have proper supplies. I'm not getting to much into the supply list. More about having what they need, being on the run, Her getting tired and holding them back. Him having episodes and having to teach her how to load and operate a gun. They do find an indoor range for a few practices before hitting the road, but she tries to be helpful and supportive but she's definitely holding him back and will be the cause of them getting caught and almost getting caught. Packs are heavy and she's not in and fit form. At all. That's why I'm thinking his military connection is what might gain sympathy and help. Different than if I just went into the woods and asked people for help.

I do understand how good fiction works and the difference between fiction and a documentary.
I read a lot of both fiction and non-fiction.

With that said...
One thing that annoys me as a reader is when the character who is supposed to be an expert or at least has experience in doing things , that I enjoy or know of...gets things wrong in how to go about doing said actions , things or activities ...

Details count...and yes your character can indeed be in a unbelievable situation...but if the details are wrong...then it just doesn't work for me....

And with that said all readers are different some will care , some won't about those details...some won't even know they were supposed to there in the first place...

So again I wish you luck here...and hope to have been of some help.
Andy
That's why I was on this site. I needed to know those details that would put off a reader. I think you, as a reader can gloss over a few things, but if its obvious the writer knew NOTHING about the reality, it's hard to pass over those. Thank you for helping.

Good question. Yes I have been camping, not alot as I'm pretty much a city girl. I do have many friends to get that kind of info from. They can't have phones or any communication devices as the can be monitored by the Agent. I think buying from an Army Surplus type store would get them what they need. I'm sure HELPFUL sales people would make sure they have proper supplies. I'm not getting to much into the supply list. More about having what they need, being on the run, Her getting tired and holding them back. Him having episodes and having to teach her how to load and operate a gun. They do find an indoor range for a few practices before hitting the road, but she tries to be helpful and supportive but she's definitely holding him back and will be the cause of them getting caught and almost getting caught. Packs are heavy and she's not in and fit form. At all. That's why I'm thinking his military connection is what might gain sympathy and help. Different than if I just went into the woods and asked people for help.

See that's a start, building from your outdoors experience.

Now, you state your characters go to an indoor range for practice.

Think of the process you and you husband went thru when you went to an indoor range...does the storyline of having your characters being under the government radar fit what you want them to do?

See that's a start, building from your outdoors experience.

Now, you state your characters go to an indoor range for practice.

Think of the process you and you husband went thru when you went to an indoor range...does the storyline of having your characters being under the government radar fit what you want them to do?
WOW I hadn't thought about that!! Good call. Our indoor range is at a Public Safety range where cops are all over the place and with cameras. Thanks.

Tinaw,

If you want gun enthusiasts/preppers et al to show interest in and perhaps buy your upcoming book, you'll have to come up with the kind of detail that interests them.

For example: You'll need to display very accurate gun nomenclature which is highly appreciated if precise and will generate interest or highly ridiculed if off the mark as is so often the case when writers get into ordnance scenarios that are ludicrously off the mark.

As in: He took the safety off his Glock. Or, put the safety on, on his revolver.

Gun fanciers grit their teeth when encountering this sort of inaccuracy and tell others...

Also, getting testy/bottom lip out isn't going to win over anyone.

Yeah, most here can give you tips on what may garner interest in your type of book, from guns to goolash, but you gotta roll with having your 'ballotas busted' along the way cuz that's what guys do and most of them don't get into a snit when it happens...presumably you're not a guy, but such still applies...

WOW I hadn't thought about that!! Good call. Our indoor range is at a Public Safety range where cops are all over the place and with cameras. Thanks.

Ah, but that could be an AHA! Moment in the book as well.

They are meeting up with a local sheriff deputy who knows her, and may connect them with another friend further along. As an example.

The local deputy friend could also lead the dark federal government types off on a time wasting goose chase as well, since the federal types weren't forthcoming at all over whom (exactly) they were looking for.

If the start of the book occurs in a state where person to person transfers are legal, that may also offer your characters the opportunity to legally purchase from there deputy friend as well. Not being an attorney, you will have to do your own research on which states that such is perfectly legal in.

Ah, but that could be an AHA! Moment in the book as well.

They are meeting up with a local sheriff deputy who knows her, and may connect them with another friend further along. As an example.

The local deputy friend could also lead the dark federal government types off on a time wasting goose chase as well, since the federal types weren't forthcoming at all over whom (exactly) they were looking for.

If the start of the book occurs in a state where person to person transfers are legal, that may also offer your characters the opportunity to legally purchase from there deputy friend as well. Not being an attorney, you will have to do your own research on which states that such is perfectly legal in.

LOVE IT!!!! Thanks
Tinaw,

If you want gun enthusiasts/preppers et al to show interest in and perhaps buy your upcoming book, you'll have to come up with the kind of detail that interests them.

For example: You'll need to display very accurate gun nomenclature which is highly appreciated if precise and will generate interest or highly ridiculed if off the mark as is so often the case when writers get into ordnance scenarios that are ludicrously off the mark.

As in: He took the safety off his Glock. Or, put the safety on, on his revolver.

Gun fanciers grit their teeth when encountering this sort of inaccuracy and tell others...

Also, getting testy/bottom lip out isn't going to win over anyone.

Yeah, most here can give you tips on what may garner interest in your type of book, from guns to goolash, but you gotta roll with having your 'ballotas busted' along the way cuz that's what guys do and most of them don't get into a snit when it happens...presumably you're not a guy, but such still applies...

See my avatar? I wish I looked that good, but I am a woman of an age. I usually don't give a rip, but when I'm serious about getting this right and relying on expert knowledge and attention, I got a little pissy. sorry. Its the self conscience inner child. :)

Can you suggest a couple of types of guns he might buy? what kind of case he might get? There are so many types, some look camo but too pretty. Am I wrong there? would it be something on a strap or worn at the waist? Walking and climbing you'd want something that would stay in place not slip around. Dare I ask about knives or is that not allowed?

How about an average Soldier/Sailor/Marine etc...instead of TEAM "Jason Borne Rambo" guy?

And what if his Platoon was attached to a mission that was suppose to accomplish a goal without their survival.

Then say his squad were the only survivors. Maybe they see the Chaplin and are sent to Combat Stress counseling where they are given a combination of mind, mood, and memory altering drugs. All without the purpose of returning them to duty, but to medically discharge them.

So they are discharged, a couple are taken by suspicious suicides. Narrows down the characters quickly. The remainder are in VA care. Starting from a VA Hospital may be more believable than a Top Secret hidden facility in the side of a mountain. :rolleyes:

So the main character decides to go off the meds...or maybe misses some doses because he loses his apartment (can't have a house...he wouldn't be stable enough on all those drugs).

He tells the other survivors (however many you choose to have), they are skeptical. Maybe one is less skeptical when the main character uncovers one of medically discharged suicides was actually...you guessed it. A murder.

And how about instead of all the prepper stuff, he finds his way (to wherever you are sending this poor guy) with the help and tactics of homeless people.

Just some ideas. Or maybe a different book all together. o_O

You're good! I hadn't got that far in telling the story but you're definitely reading my mind. It was a team, they went on many missions. to my understanding (in the movies) you don't question the mission. You do what you're told. The last mission was one that cost all but 4 of their team. MC was the most hurt and while in the hosp. "They" decided to give him a drug to control his memory. As he healed they gave him a new background that didn't involve the military at all. He has no family etc.
Just to give you where I got this. What if you are watching TV and a news alert shows a missing man. His face is familiar. You've seen him around. Now he's wanted by authorities. You wonder what's up with the guy? There's a knock on your backdoor. There stands the missing guy. He says it's all a set up and he needs your help.
That's how this all got started.

Then say his squad were the only survivors. Maybe they see the Chaplin and are sent to Combat Stress counseling where they are given a combination of mind, mood, and memory altering drugs. All without the purpose of returning them to duty, but to medically discharge them.

So they are discharged, a couple are taken by suspicious suicides. Narrows down the characters quickly. The remainder are in VA care. Starting from a VA Hospital may be more believable than a Top Secret hidden facility in the side of a mountain. :rolleyes:

I love this idea!!!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews