JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty simple, urban areas have less inner city thug culture inhabitants. Wherever there are people, there will be some form of crime, but different groups have different types of crime they commit more so than others.

From the article......
Consequently, they said, educating young adolescents about firearms, firearm violence, injury and conflict resolution may be suitable, especially if it connects to the firearm culture of that community.

Hummmmm......."the firearms culture of that community." Is that, an admission that the inner city ute types are/have a PROBLEM when it comes to guns? I wonder? But then....maybe, it's also an admission about "early gun safety education".

WAIT, Wait, wait.......

What's a Ute?

Aloha, Mark

Pretty simple, urban areas have less inner city thug culture inhabitants. Wherever there are people, there will be some form of crime, but different groups have different types of crime they commit more so than others.
Yeah.....give me a couple of million dollars and I'll study that.

Sorry in advance. But some people might not like the conclusion of the study's research.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
They are basically looking for a "gun violence" problem in rural areas where there isn't a problem.

They hint at the fact that kids in rural areas generally don't carry handguns for drive by shootings or other crime - they mostly carry handguns when hunting or for shooting livestock predators when they come across them (the article never mentions these valid uses of handguns). They also mention that there is a culture of gun safety, but then lament that some don't have that "culture".

But the synopsis is that because it is minors, and there are handguns being carried, that this is an issue. And yes, there needs to be more "study".

Pretty barfy article.
Love the condescending tone of doctor Alphabet's conclusions. I reckon us dumb ol' small town hicks just ain't as inclined to slap leather in a confrontation. Most times a good old fashioned fistfight solves the problem. And it might be absolutely baffling to the university types that after the fight, everybody can still be friends . No need for constantly escalating retaliatory drive bys and " pop outs".

Before this study, we knew that there is a certain fraction of youth in rural areas who carry handguns," said Rowhani-Rahbar, co-director of the Firearm Injury & Policy Research Program at the Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center. "But with this study, we provided evidence that there are distinctive and different patterns of handgun carrying. The discovery of these patterns in rural areas is the first step toward prevention, because knowing when this behavior starts as well as its frequency and duration may provide important points of intervention for injury prevention.

Yes! One distinctive pattern is that rural youth who carry tend to do so LEGALLY with handguns acquired LEGALLY. Urban youth? Not so much.

Reading the article, what is amazing is the degree of cluelessness displayed by the researchers, and their lack of connection to the cultures involved.

Yea, I saw that article yesterday,, came across with a very liberal bent, almost like they were trying to prove an agenda. It's also condescending, like their looking for a problem that ain't there, in hopes of "Finding" something so they can further justify bans and other infringements against LAW ABIDING CITIZENS! Since when did Urban folks ever commit crimes worthy enough to be "Studied" by CDC sponsored universities? Yea, I don't Think So!

It's also condescending, like their looking for a problem that ain't there, in hopes of "Finding" something so they can further justify bans and other infringements against LAW ABIDING CITIZENS!
They are basically looking for a "gun violence" problem in rural areas where there isn't a problem.
Exactly - and the last sentence really supports this:

"This type of research really sheds light on the fact that you have to think about context, you have to think about setting, you need to consider community-based factors that should drive and inform the prevention efforts that you design."

Youth is defined by these "researchers" as "up to 26 years of age" :rolleyes: never mind the simple,.plain, obvious fact that no one Federally Licensed to sell firearms, can sell handguns to those under 21 years of age :rolleyes: parents and families however can "gift" to those 18-20, as they are legal to possess handguns, and to purchase rifles. Under 18s, can have rifles and shotguns given or loaned by parents... and possibly handguns too for training/shooting sports? Can someone confirm that under-18s can legally use handguns, maybe not possess?

Youth is defined by these "researchers" as "up to 26 years of age" :rolleyes: never mind the simple,.plain, obvious fact that no one Federally Licensed to sell firearms, can sell handguns to those under 21 years of age :rolleyes: parents and families however can "gift" to those 18-20, as they are legal to possess handguns, and to purchase rifles. Under 18s, can have rifles and shotguns given or loaned by parents... and possibly handguns too for training/shooting sports? Can someone confirm that under-18s can legally use handguns, maybe not possess?
It was weird saying "youth" went up to 26 anyway.

I started sporting an M60 machinegun at 17-1/2….. does that count? :D

It was weird saying "youth" went up to 26 anyway.
Yeah. Almost as if they wanted to raise the age of firearms ownership... wait, they do.

I started sporting an M60 machinegun at 17-1/2….. does that count? :D
Hahaha not sure how it counts.. were you issued crayons instead of MREs? :s0064:

Too simple. Thuggery thrives in certain conditions. Even bad fathers won't (generally) put up with bs from their sons. There are a laundry list of reasons fathers are removed in the inner city. One big one is the welfare state and not always prison.

When mothers can get money and be the king of the castle without compromise, why bother with a guy who likely isn't #1 at anything?

In my neighborhood every family with a live at home father eventually moved to a better location. My parents were divorced but I had my grandparents, plus we also moved when I was 15, which is key. 11-14, 15 yo for unprotected boys is the time they are affiliated or deeply involved in crime. Drugs, robberies, murder.

From my experience here at cookouts, bbq, the men break out the bb guns and 22s for the young boys (some girls). Over watch, direct and approve of them. By 10-11 yo, these kids are solid with firearms. Having land to shoot is one huge difference. Of course fathers are the main one.

Too simple. Thuggery thrives in certain conditions. Even bad fathers won't (generally) put up with bs from their sons. There are a laundry list of reasons fathers are removed in the inner city. One big one is the welfare state and not always prison.

When mothers can get money and be the king of the castle without compromise, why bother with a guy who likely isn't #1 at anything?

In my neighborhood every family with a live at home father eventually moved to a better location. My parents were divorced but I had my grandparents, plus we also moved when I was 15, which is key. 11-14, 15 yo for unprotected boys is the time they are affiliated or deeply involved in crime. Drugs, robberies, murder.

From my experience here at cookouts, bbq, the men break out the bb guns and 22s for the young boys (some girls). Over watch, direct and approve of them. By 10-11 yo, these kids are solid with firearms. Having land to shoot is one huge difference. Of course fathers are the main one.
Not disagreeing with any of that.

From the article......

Hummmmm......."the firearms culture of that community." Is that, an admission that the inner city ute types are/have a PROBLEM when it comes to guns? I wonder? But then....maybe, it's also an admission about "early gun safety education".

WAIT, Wait, wait.......

What's a Ute?

Aloha, Mark
Yuuuuths your honor... -Vinny

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top