Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Remington 7mm rolling block

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by rick49, Mar 21, 2015.

1. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

This was built in 1902 and refinished ...metal and furniture. Good bore. I'm really tempted to buy. Who is going to talk me out of it? Why? What's a fair price? Sorry no pics.

2. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Has it been sporterized? If not, does it have the cleaning rod and the bayonet?

I like these rifles but they MAY have issues when using modern 7x57mm brass.

3. rick49

The stock was redone and some checkering added in the 60's. No bayonet.

4. Backfire

Backfire Tualatin, OR Active Member

Were you quoted a price on it? I'd examined one in San Luis Obispo in fair-to-good exterior condition with a pitted bore, and I considered purchasing and rebarreling it; however, the shop wanted $500 and the owner was obnoxious.

5. rick49

After having it checked by a smith I bought it.

6. Backfire

I wish you many hours of shooting enjoyment with that rifle. I'd enjoy seeing photos of the Remington rolling block! When I was 13, a gentleman we knew allowed me to use the rolling block he'd purchased years earlier from Bannerman's, but I had to supply my own ammunition and clean the rifle when we'd finished shooting. I sold newspapers and did chores at the time, and a box of 100 military cartridges in 7x57mm cost $7.00-7.50 per box, depending on the importer. I invested in a box of 100 and used them sparingly. At 13, that was the most powerful rifle I'd fired! When summer was over, I still had a fistful of rounds left, and I gave them to the gentleman who owned the rifle. I learned the following year that he'd passed away.
    The rolling block in 7x57mm and .30-40 Krag made perfect sense to me, and I was pleased to see Remington's custom shop brought the rifle back...then dismayed when I learned the price. Have a great time with that rifle.

7. rick49

Send me an email address and I will send pics

8. Backfire

rick49, my e-mail is sixgill@comcast.net
    Best wishes,
    Ed