JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any 2 die kit will suffice for a bolt rifle.

2-Die kit + Shell holder
Will contain a full length sized & a bullet seater.

RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady....

You don't need a carbide, you will use a case lube. Most carbide are for straight walled pistol cartridges.

You have a rifle with plenty of magazine space. Make sure you use an OAL gauge to seat your bullets appropriately. If I remember right, Weatherby rifles can be long throated.

The 270 and 300 WM use many of the same powders, so thats nice. I've had good luck with H4831 in both cartridges.

Another vote for H4831. I like the SC version because it meters so much better than the original long stick version and for me used the exact same charge for accuracy in a 270 caliber. Most of my reloading results in the most accurate load being in the middle, but for both my 270s the hottest recommended charge was the most accurate. 59 grains w/ 130 grain bullets if I remember correctly...make sure you double check that.

I recommend FL sizing vs the neck sizing route.

I'm glad you guys brought up the FL sizing die. I see an awful lot of new guys thinking they just have to have a neck sizing die for a rifle. I don't know where this is coming from, unless some of the local gun stores (cabela's), are filling their heads full of crap like that. Everytime I go there, I am bothered by some guys wearing cabela's vests and they start spouting off garbage. Usually, "how can I help you today"? "Looks like you need"...... a "neck sizing die", "have you handloaded very much sir"? "Here let me show you some groups I shot with ammo I loaded with a neck sizing die". "You too can shoot groups and make exacting hand loads with the proper neck sizing die and other Cabela's fine hand loading equipment"...

I never got that much freakin help at Cabelas. Usually it seems like they are in the business of avoiding work and picking up a paycheck.
Lol.

Or asking me if I know what I'm doing when I ask for something by part #....

Great suggestions guys. I think you are hitting the nail on the head with H4831 as well. I'd also suggest IMR4350, as an excellent powder choice for both cartridges. I actually got some of my best accuracy with that powder and 150gr bullets (nosler partitions) in the 270. The 300wm also loves this powder with just about any bullet weight over 165gr. I'd also suggest to load the belted magnum just as you would any other rifle cartridge and headspace off the shoulder. Bump the shoulder back about .003" and you'll be better off. Better case life and accuracy.

I'm a fan of H1000 for .300 WM, gone through a couple pounds in mine so far.
As for dies, I used standard RCBS for a while but switched to a Redding type S FL sizer. I like that I can change the bushings to set my neck tension and not over work the brass.

I agree on the neck dies. I keep a lee collet die for each rifle caliber which comes in handy to straighten a neck or something but that's the only neck die I use and I don't neck size often. I tried some tests with my target .308 and saw no noticeable difference between the type s and lee collet sized brass that were sized after firing from the same gun. I know there may still be a difference and one day maybe I'll be a good enough shot but until then I'm not accurate enough to see a difference.

Brunos or Midsouth should be the least expensive - $50 to 60 bucks for the sizing die alone. Brunos reams you on shipping so be sure to order some other stuff to make it worth the shipping costs. The neck bushings are extra and before you order you will need to figure out the size you need. (Read the instructions on the Redding website.) Different brass could have different neck wall thickness, so you could end up needing two or three sizes. Your sixty dollar die can easily approach one-hundred bucks before you are done.

If this is for a hunting rifle, I would save my money and just get some regular RCBS or Redding FL dies. Type S bushing dies are more for precision shooting, at least in my opinion, and are over-kill for a rifle where 1 MOA groups are more than adequate to harvest an animal.

Brunos or Midsouth should be the least expensive - $50 to 60 bucks for the sizing die alone. Brunos reams you on shipping so be sure to order some other stuff to make it worth the shipping costs. The neck bushings are extra and before you order you will need to figure out the size you need. (Read the instructions on the Redding website.) Different brass could have different neck wall thickness, so you could end up needing two or three sizes. Your sixty dollar die can easily approach one-hundred bucks before you are done.

If this is for a hunting rifle, I would save my money and just get some regular RCBS or Redding FL dies. Type S bushing dies are more for precision shooting, at least in my opinion, and are over-kill for a rifle where 1 MOA groups are more than adequate to harvest an animal.
Excellent.

Try Graf & Sons. Great customer service.

+1 for either RCBS or Redding full length set. I do find the RCBS seater to be easier to fine tune for depth. The Redding uses a 1/2-20 thread, I don't recall what the RCBS uses but it is a finer thread. I highly recommend replacing the lock ring with the Hornady lock ring. Much, much easier to deal with. Give R23 a try for both rifles.

I highly recommend replacing the lock ring with the Hornady lock ring. Much, much easier to deal with.

Excellent advice. The RCBS and Redding style never hold for me. I found a pack of six of the Hornady lock rings for $19 at Sportsman one time...they are on most my dies now.

So i perfer lee dies.. The 3 die set comes with a full resize die ... Seatinf die... And factory crimp die .. If you get a 2 die set that dosnt crimp i would get a factory crimp die ... I like a imr 4064 and hornady superformace powder ... I also realy like the hornady eld-x bullets ... But but i would not buy hornady dies for a rifle ....

I used Alliant REloder 22 and Nosler Partition bullets in my .270. I don't have it anymore; the ex does, along with bank account, my skydiving gear, my Browning Citori, my S&W M27... I shouldn't go there...
I have never just neck sized a case but there is a trick called 'partial resizing' that you leave about 1/16" between the die and the shell holder at maximum travel. You resize everything but don't set the case shoulder back to factory minimum.

IMHO, RCBS is fine but you want the finest dies on earth, get Redding. IMHO, gang...
I weighed every powder charge I ever put in a rifle cartridge...

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top