JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I have an 1873 in 357Mag that I just love...and I think it would be really neat to start shooting black powder cartridges. But where do I start?

I want to be as DIY as possible: cast my own bullets, make my own powder, but where do I start?

When Winchester begain selling the 1873 they offered a reloading kit for $5.... so I guess I'm looking for a similar kit!

Hey Folks,

I have an 1873 in 357Mag that I just love...and I think it would be really neat to start shooting black powder cartridges. But where do I start?

I want to be as DIY as possible: cast my own bullets, make my own powder, but where do I start?

When Winchester begain selling the 1873 they offered a reloading kit for $5.... so I guess I'm looking for a similar kit!
Make sure to clean it properly afterwards or it'll be destroyed in short order. Also, if you want to shoot it more than, I don't know, 30 rounds, shoot smokeless first and then the black powder.

Having owned a couple of Winchester '73's one original , one "replica"...and having shot black powder cartridges from both of them....

I can say that it was fun and a worthwhile experience...but as Certaindeaf states...make sure to clean all of the rifle....a Winchester '73's inner workings can hide a whole acre of gunk in short order.
Andy

Having owned a couple of Winchester '73's one original , one "replica"...and having shot black powder cartridges from both of them....

I can say that it was fun and a worthwhile experience...but as Certaindeaf states,,,make sure to clean all of the rifle....a Winchester '73's inner workings can hide a whole acre of gunk in short order.
Andy
Yep, it's much more than running a bore snake down the tube and thinking that'll do er.

Using BP can be a lot of fun. The first rule of loading BP cartridges is NO AIR SPACE can be allowed,, you want ~1/16 in. minimum compression of the powder when you seat the bullets, and use a good crimp.
For initial cleaning, I'll share with you my "secret" solution that I started using about 20 years ago, and everything is easy to get at the market;
1, a 16oz. bottle of 90% or better Isopropyl Alcohol.
2, a 16oz. bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap.
3, a 16oz. bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide.
Mix them all together, now you have a cleaning solution that works great on both "real" BP, and the "synthetic" stuff like Pyrodex and Triple 7.
Keep a container of it handy while you're shooting to put your fired cases in, so later you can just rinse them off and toss into the tumbler.
Don't over-oil the guns, BP residue and gun oil make a real mess.

Formula 409 eats blackpowder and pyrodex residue for breakfast.
Venturino swears by Vinegar Windex.

Not sure what the end-game is with loading .357 with black powder, but to each his own. (One more reason I'd have opted for the authenticity of a .44-40).

A basic Lee Loader kit could do it. WARNING: I don't know if it is OK for use with BP.

But, I wouldn't. Because I want production (a lot of ammo).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I haven't seen one in .357 Mag but you could just shoot .38s. Hint: You might have to adjust your COAL to insure proper feeding in your .357 Mag rifle.

Last Edited:
Hey Folks,

Did you ever get together components to try this out? I am thinking about trying out some 38spl BP substitute loads in a junky RIA M200 revolver, I recently bought. This guy had pretty good success with BP substitute in 38spl loads.

View: https://youtu.be/gxBRO0XeypY?feature=shared

While his velocities are in line with 38 Spl max loads, he's shooting them in a RUGER Blackhawk 357, renown for their durability.
I have a M200. A build comparison would be a Lee Challenger Press (M200) to a RCBS Rock Chucker (Blackhawk).
You are not leaving much room for "whoops". It's your hand.

While his velocities are in line with 38 Spl max loads, he's shooting them in a RUGER Blackhawk 357, renown for their durability.
I have a M200. A build comparison would be a Lee Challenger Press (M200) to a RCBS Rock Chucker (Blackhawk).
You are not leaving much room for "whoops". It's your hand.
I won't load them as hot as he was. And I will likely be using Pyrodex instead of 777. I am still hoping to find a local retail source for true black powder but no luck so far.

Cream of wheat/grits, wads, etc will be my friend.
While I have utilized "fillers" in the past, a moderate amount of research will provide other and better methods to fill or regulate combustion chambers.

...and completely avoid some reports of danger in the usage of fillers with blackpowder.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top