JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I have an 1873 in 357Mag that I just love...and I think it would be really neat to start shooting black powder cartridges. But where do I start?

I want to be as DIY as possible: cast my own bullets, make my own powder, but where do I start?

When Winchester begain selling the 1873 they offered a reloading kit for $5.... so I guess I'm looking for a similar kit!

Hey Folks,

I have an 1873 in 357Mag that I just love...and I think it would be really neat to start shooting black powder cartridges. But where do I start?

I want to be as DIY as possible: cast my own bullets, make my own powder, but where do I start?

When Winchester begain selling the 1873 they offered a reloading kit for $5.... so I guess I'm looking for a similar kit!
Make sure to clean it properly afterwards or it'll be destroyed in short order. Also, if you want to shoot it more than, I don't know, 30 rounds, shoot smokeless first and then the black powder.

Having owned a couple of Winchester '73's one original , one "replica"...and having shot black powder cartridges from both of them....

I can say that it was fun and a worthwhile experience...but as Certaindeaf states...make sure to clean all of the rifle....a Winchester '73's inner workings can hide a whole acre of gunk in short order.
Andy

Having owned a couple of Winchester '73's one original , one "replica"...and having shot black powder cartridges from both of them....

I can say that it was fun and a worthwhile experience...but as Certaindeaf states,,,make sure to clean all of the rifle....a Winchester '73's inner workings can hide a whole acre of gunk in short order.
Andy
Yep, it's much more than running a bore snake down the tube and thinking that'll do er.

Using BP can be a lot of fun. The first rule of loading BP cartridges is NO AIR SPACE can be allowed,, you want ~1/16 in. minimum compression of the powder when you seat the bullets, and use a good crimp.
For initial cleaning, I'll share with you my "secret" solution that I started using about 20 years ago, and everything is easy to get at the market;
1, a 16oz. bottle of 90% or better Isopropyl Alcohol.
2, a 16oz. bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap.
3, a 16oz. bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide.
Mix them all together, now you have a cleaning solution that works great on both "real" BP, and the "synthetic" stuff like Pyrodex and Triple 7.
Keep a container of it handy while you're shooting to put your fired cases in, so later you can just rinse them off and toss into the tumbler.
Don't over-oil the guns, BP residue and gun oil make a real mess.

Formula 409 eats blackpowder and pyrodex residue for breakfast.
Venturino swears by Vinegar Windex.

Not sure what the end-game is with loading .357 with black powder, but to each his own. (One more reason I'd have opted for the authenticity of a .44-40).

A basic Lee Loader kit could do it. WARNING: I don't know if it is OK for use with BP.

But, I wouldn't. Because I want production (a lot of ammo).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I haven't seen one in .357 Mag but you could just shoot .38s. Hint: You might have to adjust your COAL to insure proper feeding in your .357 Mag rifle.

Last Edited:
Hey Folks,

Did you ever get together components to try this out? I am thinking about trying out some 38spl BP substitute loads in a junky RIA M200 revolver, I recently bought. This guy had pretty good success with BP substitute in 38spl loads.

View: https://youtu.be/gxBRO0XeypY?feature=shared

While his velocities are in line with 38 Spl max loads, he's shooting them in a RUGER Blackhawk 357, renown for their durability.
I have a M200. A build comparison would be a Lee Challenger Press (M200) to a RCBS Rock Chucker (Blackhawk).
You are not leaving much room for "whoops". It's your hand.

While his velocities are in line with 38 Spl max loads, he's shooting them in a RUGER Blackhawk 357, renown for their durability.
I have a M200. A build comparison would be a Lee Challenger Press (M200) to a RCBS Rock Chucker (Blackhawk).
You are not leaving much room for "whoops". It's your hand.
I won't load them as hot as he was. And I will likely be using Pyrodex instead of 777. I am still hoping to find a local retail source for true black powder but no luck so far.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top