JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
is it legal to go shooting while hunting season is still open I got a new shot gun and I've only Been able to put five shells through it because I was worried about being charged/in trouble with the game warden

Uh, have you thought about checking your state laws? This might be a good place to start.

I have checked state game laws and it doesn't specify that one is not aloud to shot during hunting season but it doesn't specify that one can. Just looking for answer no need to be nasty.

I don't know about the exact legal particulars, but like the last two posts mention, a lot depends on where you're shooting. I shot for many years during hunting season, on either my own property out in the woods, or out on public land in established shooting spots.

On the other hand, if you're packing your 30-06 out through the woods in elk country during elk season, and you tell the game warden that you're not actually hunting, he's going to say "Yeah, right" as he's writing your ticket.

Buy a tag.
Problem solved.

I understand the practical sentiment, and no offense intended, but as someone who hasn't hunted in decades and has no intent to ever hunt again, I refuse to waste money on something that has absolutely no relevance to me. In my mind, recreational shooting is as relevant to hunting as golf is to scuba diving.

Good on you for wanting to be cautious and legal. Most of us are based in the Northwest and not vary familiar with Vermont firearm laws (beautiful state you live in by the way, spent a week photographing the landscape there).

Some states have state and county run websites that discuss legalities of public shooting area. I would suggest starting with internet searches for some of these. Also check with your local gun shops. Although the will not give "legal" advice, they are likely to know the common areas. If you are (legally) shooting while standing next to your vehicle in known recreational shooting area, not likely to be messed with by fish and game folks...in my experience.

Hope this helps some and happy shooting!

Don't sweat the comments, TMan. We've started our raining season here in the PNW and we have a lot of transplants that haven't grown accustomed to the rain, fog, dampness and cold and it makes them a bit grouchy. Even worse than after a long hot dry summer. ;)

Just a guess, but if it's legal to shoot during non-hunting times, I would think it would be legal to shoot during hunting season... you might not want to get caught with any dead animals around you that you aren't licensed to hunt and look like they were killed with a shot gun though. Your best bet would be to call the local game warden or forest service office in your area and ask them about it for the area where you plan to be target shooting. They should be able to give you a straight answer. You might want to wear something very bright and orange and stay away from any earth tones or deer/elk type colored cloths... and be sure of what you are shooting at and the background.

Mike

Just call the game warden, every state is different. I remember hunting in the hills as a kid [during season] and not knowing I even needed a license.

This. They might even point you to a safe spot to go. In Washington, carrying a hunting-legal firearm during a big game season can get you in trouble. Ask if there is anything like that. Its usually in some obscure part of the regs.

Also, it might be best to avoid wearing novelty hats like this one:

upload_2018-11-24_11-21-21.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top