JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for some information or input to a situation. To make a long story short about 2 1/2 years ago while on a trip through Montana I had a couple fireams stolen out my vehicle. Time passed and finally was notified that one was recovered. I should be getting it back soon, and after the whole ordeal with the theft I'd like to probably sell the gun once I get it back. The whole thing is a bit irritating and would like to fund something else that doesn't put a bad taste in my mouth. I'd like to know if I have anything to worry about if I were to sell/ transfer this fiream. I'm not interested in creating any headaches for myself or a potential buyer. Anything is appreciated.

Hope......it's not in this condition.

corrosive-primers.png

Jokes aside.....
If you really just want it gone.....

Pawn Shop or just offer it to you FFL. If it has some value....perhaps you could offer it up on the classifieds (it's not hard to do). Remember, that "generally" all transfers need to go through an FFL.

Aloha, Mark

View attachment 817106

Jokes aside.....

Pawn Shop or just offer it to you FFL. If it has some value....perhaps you could offer it up on the classifieds (it's not hard to do). Remember, that "generally" all transfers need to go through an FFL.

Aloha, Mark

Of course I hope it's not either. It was a nearly new Hk vp9 9mm. Im hopeful that I don't get a paperweight back. I'm more so curious about if there's anything else I need to do differently as far as a transfer goes?

Depending on the circumstances, if the weapon was used in a crime, every major component might be etched or engraved with a case number....happened to a close friend of mine when they recovered and returned his firearm ( it was not in WA State)

Of course I hope it's not either. It was a nearly new Hk vp9 9mm. Im hopeful that I don't get a paperweight back. I'm more so curious about if there's anything else I need to do differently as far as a transfer goes?

What do I know.

Imagine.......
Maybe if it was recovered in another state there might be costs involved? Think shipping cost. The Police Dept might not want to be left holding the bag for that.

And maybe, you'll have to undergo another BGC (depending on the laws of where you will be picking it up). You know, since the theft.....you might have gotten a TRO or been convicted of something. So, a full BGC might be in order.

My advice.....
Just wait....
Don't get all upset over something you don't have control over.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
they have to ship it to a ffl in your state. depending on their requirements.

i had to go to seattle to recover a weapon stolen over 20 years ago.

they ran the background after tukwila sent it to them

Once a stolen gun is reported on the NCIC stolen gun list, after recovery it's taken off. That shouldn't be an issue. Especially if the returning agency requires you to receive it through an FFL to get it back.

When I got back a stolen gun, the PD in another state wanted me to pay shipping which I thought was reasonable. They shipped it to a local PD where I picked it up. This was 25 years ago but at the time, I didn't have to get it back through a dealer. In this particular case, I'm not sure it was worth the amount paid for the shipping.

If you were reimbursed for this theft by insurance coverage, theoretically you have a moral obligation to inform the insurer. So far as I know, there is no connection between insurance company computers and law enforcement. Anyway, I doubt the insurance computers have individual serially numbered items of personal property detailed anyway. Like they do on automobiles.

Depending on the circumstances, if the weapon was used in a crime, every major component might be etched or engraved with a case number....happened to a close friend of mine when they recovered and returned his firearm ( it was not in WA State)

I guess I'll
Once a stolen gun is reported on the NCIC stolen gun list, after recovery it's taken off. That shouldn't be an issue. Especially if the returning agency requires you to receive it through an FFL to get it back.

When I got back a stolen gun, the PD in another state wanted me to pay shipping which I thought was reasonable. They shipped it to a local PD where I picked it up. This was 25 years ago but at the time, I didn't have to get it back through a dealer. In this particular case, I'm not sure it was worth the amount paid for the shipping.

If you were reimbursed for this theft by insurance coverage, theoretically you have a moral obligation to inform the insurer. So far as I know, there is no connection between insurance company computers and law enforcement. Anyway, I doubt the insurance computers have individual serially numbered items of personal property detailed anyway. Like they do on automobiles.

Awesome, thank you. That's mostly what my concern was because I had some mixed information on weather or not I'd be able to transfer it once I get it back. I found that hard to believe. It's good to hear that's not the case.

they have to ship it to a ffl in your state. depending on their requirements.

i had to go to seattle to recover a weapon stolen over 20 years ago.

they ran the background after tukwila sent it to them
From the sounds of things
What do I know.

Imagine.......
Maybe if it was recovered in another state there might be costs involved? Think shipping cost. The Police Dept might not want to be left holding the bag for that.

And maybe, you'll have to undergo another BGC (depending on the laws of where you will be picking it up). You know, since the theft.....you might have gotten a TRO or been convicted of something. So, a full BGC might be in order.

My advice.....
Just wait....
Don't get all upset over something you don't have control over.

Aloha, Mark
Yeah that was definitely the biggest thing. But being patient so far has paid off. Sounds like my local sheriff's department will receive it and run a bc then be able to turn it over to me. I was just wondering if it would be legally able to be transferred once ive received it back. I had some mixed information on that.

Thank you, Evan.

From the sounds of things

Yeah that was definitely the biggest thing. But being patient so far has paid off. Sounds like my local sheriff's department will receive it and run a bc then be able to turn it over to me. I was just wondering if it would be legally able to be transferred once ive received it back. I had some mixed information on that.

Thank you, Evan.

I'd say that......
It's your property.

So, do with it as you wish.

Just follow the laws with regards to the sale and transfer of said property.

Aloha, Mark

If I was going to buy it, I'd want some documentation from the police that it was stolen from and returned to you. Should be covered by the BGC, but many times the government left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

If I was going to buy it, I'd want some documentation from the police that it was stolen from and returned to you. Should be covered by the BGC, but many times the government left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

This is very true, it would be easy enough to do that also.

View attachment 817106

Jokes aside.....

Aloha, Mark
I would think a little WD-40 and some steel wool would clean that rifle right up. Be sure to check the headspace.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top