JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning a very remote camping and hiking trip in Eastern Oregon after the gods in Salem grant permission. Last year I had a large back bear "dump" behind my tent about 4 am, came across wolves within 30 yards and frequent intoxicated natives or locals. I'd like to carry the Smith 4006 because of 11 round capacity and am conflicted between Underwood vs Bullalo Bore. I am thinking of 155 grain bullets. Anyone have preferences either way? I will be traveling with either a guy friend with his pointer or my two dogs. Wolf tracts are frequent. I'd think there are cats in the region as well. I'd be about 26-33 miles off road. Any ideas? Law would be about 50 miles away. I have 357 and 44 mag revolvers, but I think I want more capacity.

I personally wouldn't trust a .40 cal on a bear. If I were you I'd do a 10mm Glock at a minimum.

Preferably something bigger.

.40 is not a woods gun. I have made that mistake before, never again. If you're dead set on it buy some underwood extreme penetration rounds. Make sure you test them in your firearm before going into the woods.

Personally, I prefer the 165-180 grain loads, especially if you are going for penetration (such as for black bear). I also prefer Buffalo Bore.

As for the naysayers, I don't feel under-gunned with a .40 and I have cougar, black bear, coyote on my property and large feral dogs in my area.

I know a guy that killed a black bear with a Texas heart shot from his glk19 with one round. Then with my experience I emptied my glk23 on a cat inside of 10 yrds only managed to hit it 3 times and not one bullet penetrated bone. The .40 cal in the woods is a gamble to me. Not something im willing to chance especially if I have my kids with me. Whatever gun you choose I would make sure it doesnt have a safety and have a good holster that you can draw from in any position and comfortable enough that you wont take it off.

I'm personally a fan of Doubletapammo, but honestly if you get a "woods load" offered by Buffalo Bore or Underwood your as good to go as you can get for any caliber. I don't shoot a 40, but a hot "woods load" 40 with penetrator or hardcast bullets is a worthy contender, if you place your shot. Id go for the 4006 over a revolver any day as well as Id rather have capacity and faster reloads.... Ive seen a bear killed with a rifle and can tell you if you miss a vital, you will have a physical fight on your hands at pistol range. Id start with bear spray preferably if the situation allowed.

A 4006 sounds like a heavy hiking gun. I would test some Underwood Extreme Penetrators or hard cast in it. If it runs properly I would not feel undergunned against a black bear.

If I was going to do a lot of remote hiking a Glock 29 or 20 would be my woods gun. All of the FBI studies validating 9x19 assumed a human target rather than analyzing the benefits of additional energy on wild animals.

Hmmm......Personal protection, large capacity auto for remote locations. Preferable to be carried on your person & not heavy. And for a multitude of predators. What would I choose?

1st choice would be a Glock 20SF in 10mm loaded with factory 155 grain HP's.
2nd choice would be a Glock 32 in 357Sig. Loaded with factory 135 grain HP's.
3rd choice would be a Glock 21SF in 45acp. Loaded with factory 230 grain HP's.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top