JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks everyone for the good advice offered. Rattlesnakes are not a big deal here in Beaverton. I moving to Texas next month and the critters are a whole new deal to me. Just trying to learn. Think my 930 is a bit much for the backyard. I want my neighbors to like me!

Texas is a big state, what part are you heading off to? We've been here 6 months, and snakes haven't been a big issue. We arrived in August. Day 1 I ran into 2 copperheads, but they skedaddled. Have not killed a snake here yet. Funny enough, despite fishing 3-4x a week, I've not run into any snakes while fishing on the bank either. We're 40 miles NE of Houston, FYI.

One more thing to keep in mind before shooting on land here... each county has its own ordinance regarding shooting - most counties require you to have a minimum of 10 acres to shoot on your property. :( We've got 3 acres, so shooting is a no-go.

I do still carry a "snake gun" from time to time in case I run into one that won't leave well enough alone, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm actually far more concerned with hogs than snakes - a lady in the neighborhood next to ours was killed last year, in her front yard, by feral hogs and I've found hog tracks and areas where they were digging in our yard or pasture. I'm always armed outside the house, usually with my 9mm. At night sometimes I'll sling the AR pistol because it's got a light and dot sight just in case.

Texas is a big state, what part are you heading off to? We've been here 6 months, and snakes haven't been a big issue. We arrived in August. Day 1 I ran into 2 copperheads, but they skedaddled. Have not killed a snake here yet. Funny enough, despite fishing 3-4x a week, I've not run into any snakes while fishing on the bank either. We're 40 miles NE of Houston, FYI.

One more thing to keep in mind before shooting on land here... each county has its own ordinance regarding shooting - most counties require you to have a minimum of 10 acres to shoot on your property. :( We've got 3 acres, so shooting is a no-go.

I do still carry a "snake gun" from time to time in case I run into one that won't leave well enough alone, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm actually far more concerned with hogs than snakes - a lady in the neighborhood next to ours was killed last year, in her front yard, by feral hogs and I've found hog tracks and areas where they were digging in our yard or pasture. I'm always armed outside the house, usually with my 9mm. At night sometimes I'll sling the AR pistol because it's got a light and dot sight just in case.

San Braunfels which is NE of San Antonio about 20+ miles. A friend over in the Bulverde area had a sounder completely tear up the entrance area of their housing area in just one night. Just trashed it and it was on a busy 2 lane roadway.
As to snakes I'll have no place to move a live snake to so its gotta be put down. (Don't own a shovel yet!.) 308 seems like overkill. I have carry guns for any other threat but shotshells seem more appropriate.

I grew up around John Day. We had rattlers there. Worked summers as a teenager on a couple ranches up by Troy. Lots of them there. Dad told us not to reach under stuff and watch where you stepped. Back then in the 80s the word was to kill them on sight. Used whatever was handy, a shovel or a stick. Had a great dog named Alice that saved my bacon a couple times from rattlesnakes (or that's the way I told the story anyway). Still miss that dog. Also used dad's Single Six with 22 birdshot. Worked dandy.

Presently, if I lived in the boonies I'd kill a snake if it was close to the house, especially if there were children around. But mostly wouldn't otherwise. As far as shooting them, any revolver with birdshot will work. You can use an auto with birdshot. Not sure which calibers auto ammo is available like that, and most of them won't cycle. But 45 ACP bird loads will. I've got some somewhere. Worked great in my 1911. Shot a grouse with it once, a VERY lucky shot. Anyway, a Ruger LCRX 22 LR goes fishing with me for just this very thing. CCI birdshot. Just in case.

Hope you like like living in Texas. You're in good company.

Last Edited:
I grew up around John Day. We had rattlers there. Worked summers as a teenager on a couple ranches up by Troy. Lots of them there. Dad told us not to reach under stuff and watch where you stepped. Back then in the 80s the word was to kill them on sight. Used whatever was handy, a shovel or a stick. Had a great dog named Alice that saved my bacon a couple times from rattlesnakes (or that's the way I told the story anyway). Still miss that dog. Also used dad's Single Six with 22 birdshot. Worked dandy.

Presently, if I lived in the boonies I'd kill a snake if it was close to the house, especially if there were children around. But mostly wouldn't otherwise. As far as shooting them, any revolver with birdshot will work. You can use an auto with birdshot. Not sure which calibers auto ammo is available like that, and most of them won't cycle. But 45 ACP bird loads will. I've got some somewhere. Worked great in my 1911. Shot a grouse with it once, a VERY lucky shot. Anyway, a Ruger LCRX 22 LR goes fishing with me for just this very thing. CCI birdshot. Just in case.
Good to know. Thanks

San Braunfels which is NE of San Antonio about 20+ miles. A friend over in the Bulverde area had a sounder completely tear up the entrance area of their housing area in just one night. Just trashed it and it was on a busy 2 lane roadway.
As to snakes I'll have no place to move a live snake to so its gotta be put down. (Don't own a shovel yet!.) 308 seems like overkill. I have carry guns for any other threat but shotshells seem more appropriate.

When I tote a gun for snake protection, I'm just using a Walther P22 with "rat shot" chambered, backed up by 36 grain JHP.

Most natives down here won't kill snakes unless they're aggressive, they're pretty easy going as far as the slithery things are concerned. I used to be of the "kill every snake" mind myself, but mellowed on it. When I'm in the yard I usually have a rake or shovel handy, and on walks I tend to carry a long walking stick for shoo'ing any snakes along.

You'll probably have more rattlers in your area than we have here - it's primarily a copperhead & coral snake show, with supposedly moccasins by the water. There are rattlers in our area, including timber rattlers (FYI - timber rattlers are protected here, you can't kill 'em. You can kill diamond backs, but not timber rattlers)

You're going to be in a good area if you like to fish! Don't get rid of your trout gear either - you can fish for trout in the Guadalupe River near Austin, which isn't too far away, plus those Hill Country streams look just like PNW streams, and trout gear works to catch the native bass & "perch" as they call sunfish here.

One more thing - make your appointment with DPS for your driver license ASAP. While most offices have opened up to *some* walk in stuff, its a crap shoot because you basically only get in if people don't show up for their scheduled appointments. I think things are easing up some, but I lost my birth certificate and couldn't make my original appointment in December. I had to wait until the 3rd of this month to get another opening. I just got my physical driver license in the mail today. The DPS people move super fast when you do have an appointment though, I was in & out in less than 30 minutes start to finish. $33 gets you an 8 year license.

Registering your vehicle is done at the local county tax office, and you have to do that before you can get your driver license, as if you own a vehicle you must show proof of Texas registration and insurance to get your driver's license. It costs about $200 to register your vehicle for the first time here. And of course before you can register it, you have to go get an inspection - most mechanic shops and quick lube places can do that. Cost me $25 for that.

Man I thought we had another Colt Python thread going. :oops:

BTW: I hate snakes and used to be in the "good snake was a dead snake". BUT older now and learned how they are our buddies at keeping rodents in check. I hate rodents more. Give them their space and they leave you alone. I have had two customers in TX share rats ate the wires out of their cars. Snakes = less rats.

When I tote a gun for snake protection, I'm just using a Walther P22 with "rat shot" chambered, backed up by 36 grain JHP.

Most natives down here won't kill snakes unless they're aggressive, they're pretty easy going as far as the slithery things are concerned. I used to be of the "kill every snake" mind myself, but mellowed on it. When I'm in the yard I usually have a rake or shovel handy, and on walks I tend to carry a long walking stick for shoo'ing any snakes along.

You'll probably have more rattlers in your area than we have here - it's primarily a copperhead & coral snake show, with supposedly moccasins by the water. There are rattlers in our area, including timber rattlers (FYI - timber rattlers are protected here, you can't kill 'em. You can kill diamond backs, but not timber rattlers)

You're going to be in a good area if you like to fish! Don't get rid of your trout gear either - you can fish for trout in the Guadalupe River near Austin, which isn't too far away, plus those Hill Country streams look just like PNW streams, and trout gear works to catch the native bass & "perch" as they call sunfish here.

One more thing - make your appointment with DPS for your driver license ASAP. While most offices have opened up to *some* walk in stuff, its a crap shoot because you basically only get in if people don't show up for their scheduled appointments. I think things are easing up some, but I lost my birth certificate and couldn't make my original appointment in December. I had to wait until the 3rd of this month to get another opening. I just got my physical driver license in the mail today. The DPS people move super fast when you do have an appointment though, I was in & out in less than 30 minutes start to finish. $33 gets you an 8 year license.

Registering your vehicle is done at the local county tax office, and you have to do that before you can get your driver license, as if you own a vehicle you must show proof of Texas registration and insurance to get your driver's license. It costs about $200 to register your vehicle for the first time here. And of course before you can register it, you have to go get an inspection - most mechanic shops and quick lube places can do that. Cost me $25 for that.
Where did you move to TX from?

Thanks everyone for the good advice offered. Rattlesnakes are not a big deal here in Beaverton. I moving to Texas next month and the critters are a whole new deal to me. Just trying to learn. Think my 930 is a bit much for the backyard. I want my neighbors to like me!

That's why I use a shovel

chop the head off & put it in a hole in the ground
we used to freeze the bodies & sell them to the leather guy

Yep. Been here 42 years. Used to be a really nice state. Going next month

You're going to miss 'winter' here. Its been pretty damn epic. Natives bundle up like they're in anchorage when its 50 degrees out. Its actually honest to god COLD this week. We're getting snow in the Houston area in the forecast next week. They already cancelled school preemptively for Tuesday :eek: Wednesday still up in the air. In my little new home town, we had a 13 car pile up this morning on an overpass (think an overpass like 217 going over I-5, but with a TV hwy crossing any given 2 laner) - Texans can't drive for **** - they tend to drive very aggressively, follow too close, and lose their minds when there is moisture on the roadway. God help us when there's ice.

But it was 70 degrees last Tuesday, and my dad and I caught about 10 bass in 2 hours from a local park pond, then I fished a bit more later that afternoon in our neighborhood ponds and got 3 more fish in about half an hour. After our week of cold weather, I'm sure it'll be back in the 60's or 70s again and life will be good :cool:

So I am off to Texas in a month or so. Not normally a wheel/snubby gun person, but am looking for any recommendations for a snake gun to purchase.

Looking for a shotshell shooter of 357/Long Colt size, but will listen to anything.

Experience counts

Thanks
Lazyfaire
My number 1 suggestion is to make noise. When ever I'm around hot rocks or rocks in general in snake country I make noise and they r gone by the time u get there.

And if u have a king snake handy... (j/k) ran accross these two in middle of the trail in central Or 3E602415-8C56-49B2-9F20-27D8D6DC9878.jpeg

I'm wondering about the NEED for a snake gun. I have them here and have never felt the need to either carry a gun for them or shoot them. This guy was right behind my truck this summer.

View attachment 825424

+1
As another person who was raised in a rural area with lots of rattlesnakes, the thought never occurred to pack a gun on their account, don't think I have ever seen an individual pack a gun solely for snakes... I do consider it good advice to walk slower or make some noise in areas you think they may inhabit so they have time to run away from you.
If I were to choose a gun, .410 pistol mentioned by others seems like a good choice (I would choose a walking stick).

My number 1 suggestion is to make noise. When ever I'm around hot rocks or rocks in general in snake country I make noise and they r gone by the time u get there.

And if u have a king snake handy... (j/k) ran accross these two in middle of the trail in central OrView attachment 825730

Nice picture... I have seen a bullsnake swallow a rattlesnake in E. Washington, I am assuming it also killed the rattler first, but I did not witness that part.

Need to ask Snake Plissken what is the best snake gun.

Two summers in Wyoming, we used to laugh about snakes, as "trouble comes in threes." The first person wakes the rattler, the second pisses it off, the third gets bit. Had a friend get bit by a 14 footer (His claim - I wasn't there). He survived no problem, but the bite left a helluva scar and easily 1/2 his calf muscle was gone from venom damage.
In Idaho, carried a shovel.
Had another co-worker who lived in the El Paso area until his wife went to the bathroom one night and there was a six footer curled up on top of the seat. She insisted they move.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top