JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of your list, I would recommend the CZ 75B.

Though, if I had the cash for a nice 9mm, I'd go for the CZ 85B, as I personally prefer ambidextrous controls.

Either way, CZ is an excellent manufacturer.

You guys are awesome! All this talk makes me want to go to the range now (and I just got to work). I will definitely report back on what I end up with. :) I do appreciate people's suggestions on their favorites, though. There are good reasons why they are the favorites. I think it's a lot like cars or motorcycles, some just fits them like a glove and every just feels right.

Although I am on track with the actual gun selection process, I am lacking on all the other accessories. Other than the usual cleaning/maintenance stuff, what others should I consider? I do have a 2 1/2 year old daughter so I am thinking a trigger lock or a metal locking case is a must. Is a better sight (night sight) commonly available for these handguns I am considering?

I did a bunch of research here too. I ordered this pistol box for the bedroom:
<broken link removed>

No key, no battery. UPS has it here but they haven't been able to deliver it due to weather. I think I will be happy with it though.

I'm also investigating a larger safe too (e.g. Ft Knox, Liberty, or other).

Peter

Heck, you guys convinced ME, I'm going to look at CZ now!! Been thinking about a .40.

OK, I know you didn't ask BUT, try out a nice S&W 686, or the like, with .38s. There's just something special about an American classic revolver. And what ever you do, DO NOT get a full sized 1911, (just because every one needs one 1911) thinking you won't shoot it much because the ammo's spendy. No, don't do that.

Mike

ok, a quick update. Went back to the range to try out a few more, based on your suggestions - Beretta, HK P30 (SIG P226 was out), and S&W MP9 Pro.

The Beretta felt really solid. The safety/decocker is nice. The grip felt "fat" in my hand though so the gun felt big overall (even though others are similar in size, the Beretta feels bigger). I should be more accurate with it but I am not.

SIG P226 was out so I picked the HK P30. Very very good size and fits really well in my hand. Just a soild piece in a tight package. The mag release is very awkwardly positioned as a lever at the trigger guard. Do not care for that. German guns are pricy. :(

S&W M&P 9 Pro - Many of you suggested this so I tried it, even though it's not really what I am looking for (polymer, striker fire). I went with the Pro for the longer barrel and weight. I thought it might feel more like the all-steel guns. I expected it to feel like a Glock but I was pleasantly surprised. The gun has a good weight and feel to it and I shot very well. Although it's a DA/SA, I would prefer a gun with a hammer so I have a choice of decocking it to return it to DA.

So in the end, I think the least likely gun won the contest - the CZ 75B. I followed up with online reviews from pros and amateurs and got the some consistent feedback as my own experience. I would say that the SIG and HK are close 2nds but can't really justify the price at this time. Perhaps if and when I expand my collection in the future, I would consider them, along with the Kimber.

Thanks again, guys, for your input.

Cheers,

A light CAN be useful or it can be a real problem.. so many factors to consider here.. experience, cool nerves, training, etc

I drew quite a few times at night without a light in the past and I did OK. I do have lights now but have not gotten my lady to a point where she is ready to go from her S & W revolvers to her new G23 Glock with Procyon strobe

+1 on the training and hollow-points. I am still on the fence about lights and other tactical attachments...
I would get a good flashlight with a rear button switch to use with, but not on, your handgun...I have a Surefire 6P that I LOVE.

I have a Ruger Police Service-Six .357 magnum, with the 2.75" barrel, Hogue rubber Monogrip, loaded with 158 grain Federal Hydra-Shocks, as my "house/carry gun".

ok, a quick update. Went back to the range to try out a few more, based on your suggestions - Beretta, HK P30 (SIG P226 was out), and S&W MP9 Pro.

The Beretta felt really solid. The safety/decocker is nice. The grip felt "fat" in my hand though so the gun felt big overall (even though others are similar in size, the Beretta feels bigger). I should be more accurate with it but I am not.

SIG P226 was out so I picked the HK P30. Very very good size and fits really well in my hand. Just a soild piece in a tight package. The mag release is very awkwardly positioned as a lever at the trigger guard. Do not care for that. German guns are pricy. :(

S&W M&P 9 Pro - Many of you suggested this so I tried it, even though it's not really what I am looking for (polymer, striker fire). I went with the Pro for the longer barrel and weight. I thought it might feel more like the all-steel guns. I expected it to feel like a Glock but I was pleasantly surprised. The gun has a good weight and feel to it and I shot very well. Although it's a DA/SA, I would prefer a gun with a hammer so I have a choice of decocking it to return it to DA.

So in the end, I think the least likely gun won the contest - the CZ 75B. I followed up with online reviews from pros and amateurs and got the some consistent feedback as my own experience. I would say that the SIG and HK are close 2nds but can't really justify the price at this time. Perhaps if and when I expand my collection in the future, I would consider them, along with the Kimber.

Thanks again, guys, for your input.

Cheers,

Keep an eye open for an EAA witness, it's a CZ clone. Think about police trade ins when looking for HKs ( I got an awesome deal on my USP that way )

Glad to help!

Bill

Check out the Ruger SR9 and SR9c. I recently went through the same deal at the range and shot a wide range of 40s and 9s in full size and compact (the compacts I shot all had full size variants and weren't sub-compacts). I went in the shop completely bent on the Beretta PX4 Storm in 40 and it was the one I liked the least when I left. I did like the CZ75 a lot and plan on purchasing one in the future but I want something that I can carry and it's a bit on the heavy side. The two i put off for last were the SR's thinking that I wasn't going to like them because they were $80 to $300 cheaper than everything else I was looking at. Having barely looked at them online and in magazines, I didn't notice how nice looking they are until I was holding them in my hand. they have a very slim profile while retaining high capacity. There isn't a bunch of crap hanging off of them either like the PX4 (the safety on it snags on everything on presentation) and all the controls are low-profile while being easy to operate. The SRc's come with one small mag that holds 10 rounds in 9mm and 9 rounds in .40 and on high capacity mag that holds 17 rounds in 9mm and 15 in .40 so they are very versatile. On cold days I carry the big mag under a hoodie in a shoulder holster and the small mag IWB. I decided to go for the .40 because it shot almost as soft as the 9mm and softer than a few of the full size 9mm's. They are around $450 new and a great buy. My only qualm is that the take down isn't quite as simple as the Glocks and Berettas, but it can be done without tools, and doesn't require dry-firing. I can take mine down and put it together again in under a minute so it's not that hard. Take a look at them if you feel like it, you won't be disappointed in dropping the five bucks on the rental. If you don't like it, just get the CZ and call it good.

I didn't see anyone mention the marksman in puyallup. They have a bad reputation for customer service, and you have to take a "safety class" before you can use their range. But they do their rentals for one flat cost, so it's cheaper if you want to try out a bunch of different pistols. Pay the rental fee and try all of them in the case if you want. You just have to buy their ammo.

With that said, you might want to see if there is a forum member that might let you try out some of the discontinued Sig's. You seemed to find Sig's controls intuitive, but I didn't see the same comment on the CZ's. And I would say that that is just as important as how well you shoot it. P228's are essentially the same as the P229, except they use the older stamped slide instead of stainless. Most think they balance and feel better than the P229 and are a little lighter. I used to own a P225, and it's the one I let get away. I sold it to a buddy and he refuses to sell it back... Awesome little single stack 9mm. I've been tempted to try and trade my P245 for another one.

I own both a CZ85B and a Ruger SR9C, (amongst others), and they are both built like tanks and very easy to shoot well.

One thing to remember about CZs, though; they often have crunchy triggers when new, but smooth out wonderfully with use.

I didn't see anyone mention the marksman in puyallup. They have a bad reputation for customer service, and you have to take a "safety class" before you can use their range. But they do their rentals for one flat cost, so it's cheaper if you want to try out a bunch of different pistols. Pay the rental fee and try all of them in the case if you want. You just have to buy their ammo.

With that said, you might want to see if there is a forum member that might let you try out some of the discontinued Sig's. You seemed to find Sig's controls intuitive, but I didn't see the same comment on the CZ's. And I would say that that is just as important as how well you shoot it. P228's are essentially the same as the P229, except they use the older stamped slide instead of stainless. Most think they balance and feel better than the P229 and are a little lighter. I used to own a P225, and it's the one I let get away. I sold it to a buddy and he refuses to sell it back... Awesome little single stack 9mm.

Not to change the subject but I can understand why they would require a safety class first, after the things I have seen at an indoor urban public range that was later shut down after a fatal shooting by a moron customer. I was once near shot myself there, in the gonads by a gang banger they let in. I will no longer go to such places, only a rural range that are almost all experienced shooters, and I only do that for the convenience to sight in a new longgun

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top