JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own both a CZ85B and a Ruger SR9C, (amongst others), and they are both built like tanks and very easy to shoot well.

One thing to remember about CZs, though; they often have crunchy triggers when new, but smooth out wonderfully with use.

The first thing I do to all new guns is near total disassembly and then proper lubing. The next thing is to marry the sear to the trigger with about 500 forced trigger pulls. Works on autos and revolvers and saves a lot of ammo and wear and tear Poor Boy's Trigger Job

The reason they require a safety class now is because a couple of soldiers from Ft. Lewis came in a few years back. Freshly back from Iraq, and one of them had a negligent discharge that struck the other in the thigh...

The reason they require a safety class now is because a couple of soldiers from Ft. Lewis came in a few years back. Freshly back from Iraq, and one of them had a negligent discharge that struck the other in the thigh...

There we are. Wherever stoopid people are stoopid things happen. I prefer to steer clear

good tip on the "trigger job", Blitz. I haven't even ordered the gun and you are already making a to-do-list. I suppose I should look into grips, too. :D

Yep..For a holster gun I like Crimson Trace laser grips with the on/off switch, but Pachmayer and Hogue rubber grips are good too. Also look at Mec Gar mags, they make mags for 50 gun manufacturers and are top notch

I'm not going to debate pros and cons of lasers or reflex sights. But my experience has been that those things were very distracting. Some people love them, but I just can't seem to get them to work for me. Those things are expensive for something to buy before you try.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I'm not going to debate pros and cons of lasers or reflex sights. But my experience has been that those things were very distracting. Some people love them, but I just can't seem to get them to work for me. Those things are expensive for something to buy before you try.

My only use for the laser is for firing from behind cover while only exposing one hand and one eye. Possibly never needed feature but it's there if I need it.. normally the laser is switched off, that's why I like that version

My gal has one on her BUG, a S & W M649.. it's a backup and if she ever uses it I bet it's very close range and I want her to have every advantage in speed, and that little gun is hard to shoot well + fast with the iron sights

Edited to say that reflex sights on a close range long gun are super fast compared to irons

Sounds like you and the CZ are love-at-first-sight.
So much of handgunning is personal taste, and since you've already found a clear preference, I'd say why look further?
The CZ is built like a tank and very affordable, it has a great reputation for reliability, and you seem to prefer the weight of a steel gun. So what's not to like?
There's no need to go for an overpriced gun your first time out! It'll still be there when the "sickness" takes hold and you start stuffing safes with toys.

Absolutely agree. Although I am a XDm fan, if the CZ fits you right and you can shoot it, maybe that is just the gun for you. Nothing wrong with the perfect gun for you being a good value, high quality, well respected firarm. You're just lucky/smart you didn't try the HK. If it shot better your pockets would be a lot lighter!

I'll still say different strokes for different folks.

I always left the aimpoint turned off on my M4 because the floating dot made me hesitate. It worked great once I had it up and running. But the dot would draw my eyes off the target and onto the dot as it came up into my field of vision. I didn't have that problem just bringing the front sight post up into the target. Had we been given more range time I might have gotten used to it.

With that said, I was also an exception to the rule. I don't know if it was because I had so much experience with iron's, or just my eyes though. I also have trouble driving at night because the lights draw my eyes. Be it headlight or street lights, I can't focus on the road at night unless it's the unlit back roads with little or no traffic.

Ok, back on subject. :p I am narrowing down on the variations - 75B vs. 75BD.

The 75B has a manual safety that can only be activated with the hammer cocked. So you can carry it cocked and locked - Condition one. Otherwise, you can carry it in DA. The 75BD is the decocker version. Instead of the manual safety, the lever acts as a decocker.

So which feature would you prefer? Safety to allow carry with Consition One or decocker? It's really a toss up for me. I doubt I'd carry a full size all-steel gun. Even if I do, I wouldn't carry it cocked and locked. As for the decocker, I've always just decocked it with trigger and thumb. Having the decocker is nice but not really needed.

Thoughts? I know... splitting hair here.

Forget the decocker version.. it's like t!t$ on a boarhog. Once you go cocked N locked and get good with it you will never willingly go back

No experience with the CZ itself, but I do have 1911's (cocked and locked) and Sig (standard DA/SA). Between the two I would choose the safety/cocked and locked. If you are not comfortable with cocked and locked go with what you are comfortable with.

It's generally considered a no-no to manually lower the hammer on a live round with a 1911. But I'm not sure how safe/unsafe it would be with CZ's as I am not familiar with them.

What an enjoyable experience it has been so far. Thanks for all your input and suggestions. You really help me sort things out and narrow down my search. In the end, I felt I've included a good mix of guns with different material, design, style, heritage/history. In my research, I also learned and discover a lot of very interesting background and history of each gun and its manufacturer. I think all these make firearm that much more fascinating. I feel I am not just buying a piece of a machinery, but instead, I am getting the brand, history, and tradition that comes with the gun.

ANYWAY, sorry for the rambling. I am very excited about it and I tend to get all sentimental when too much enthusiasim.

Just last night, I put in an order for a CZ-75B thru an gun shop online. The price, with free shipping, is unbeatable. I also did a little research for a local FFL with very good reputation and reasonable pricing. All is set to go for me to receive the gun in probably 2 weeks.

I will continue my research for a gun safe or a more secured storage option. I will search for threads on that topic or start a new thread, if applicable.

Thanks again,

Tony

I lower the hammer on a 1911 or BHP regularly.. it's not for a fumblefinger type though.. BTW CDNN has CZ82 ~ 9 x 18 surplus pistols right now for $180, what a steal

Finally received the CZ over the weekend. It's essentially bath in oil and grease. I cleaned it thoroughly with Hoppe's solvent. I then wiped everything down with CLP. I personally enjoy cleaning it. :)

Took the gun out to the range and shot 100 rounds through it. It was fantastic! Absolutely loved it. Got home and did a light cleaning of the barrel and slide.

The SA trigger pull is still alittle bit gritty but I would expect it to smooth out with more shooting. I also tried more of the Poor Boy's Trigger Job - DA pull with thumb pushed up on hammer. Do you think I should get snap caps for dry firing? anyway, I guess I can do the dry firing whilie watching TV. That will drive the Wife crazy! :s0114:

You're on the right track. General rule of thumb I teach people...Pick any gun that feels good in your hand, that you like to shoot and is more than $500. Don't listen to any other opinions. If you buy something someone else likes and you don't like it all that much, you won't shoot it enough. So its a waste. If you spend more than $500, you'll be buying a quality gun. All the rest is gun magazine and gun-boy fodder. Learn to shoot. Learn to fight. Practice them both regularly. Its the man, not the tool that matters.

What a coincidence, I was a fondling CZ75 p01 and p06 today at Keiths....About ready to make the final decision, going to the show at the EXPO Center this weekend.

I'm really liking the feel of the CZ, for sure.

Have fun with your new gun!

Mike

I personally like the alloy or steel frame handguns. I don't feel the recoil nearly as bad as a polymer framed gun. I also shoot more accurately with them. I've owned 3 glocks and 3 rugers with polymer frames and got rid of them all. I hear CZ makes a good gun. I don't know if anyone else has experience with EAA witness guns, I haven't, but I wonder if that would be a good gun to try????

Dry firing is fine but snap caps are cheap, too if you're worried. You will love that gun.. did you really clean out the sear/hammer area? Try something like a can of gunscrubber aerosol and blast it out good

EAA Witness is a good gun. A few have had some problems but overall they have a good rep. One of my planned purchases is a 10MM Witness since it's the closest I can get to a shootable Bren 10

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top