JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Im actually tempted to get that since Im taller. Not certain yet what my workbench needs... but bookmarked that.
Something about the mounts steadies the press more better good. I have no idea how, but they work. When I built my prior load bench, it was double thick 3/4 plywood with 2x4 supports. I mounted the press directly to this. It flexed with all that.

After we moved I bought some premade tables to use as a bench and bought the Inline mounts. They are rock solid.

Just an opinion, but I'd highly recommend them. The accessories available at inline make things easier to utilize the press as well.

47BC1E79-17F6-47D7-9B87-3DA81CC1531C.jpeg A1AB5872-7F80-4C68-9D9C-DD71B13BB355.jpeg

I should have an extra set of 25/06 dies. You will need a trimmer to trim the cases down to the right size after you resize them.
I like the Lyman case trimmer with the cam lock system.
The pack of pilots for mostvtrimmers foes not gome with a 25 caliber pilot so you will need to buy one. When I started reloading for my 25/06 I bought extra dies and three of the 25/06 Lyman case trimmer pilots.

One of our local Costal Country stores had 25/06 Nosler Partition bullets a while ago.

Do you have any 26/06 brass?
These things you will need and can buy now if you can find them.
Ive actually scored almost 300 Nosler partitions now for this project, though 200 of those have a cannelure which I didn't know to look out for I'm reading it wont affect anything.
I have about 50 once fired Hornandy brass to my chamber to get started with. I have more Hornandy factory ammo to shoot if needed, though I am hesitant in this ammo crunch.

have no idea yet what dies I need but Ive bookmarked a neck resizer.

Im getting there...

Something about the mounts steadies the press more better good. I have no idea how, but they work. When I built my prior load bench, it was double thick 3/4 plywood with 2x4 supports. I mounted the press directly to this. It flexed with all that.

After we moved I bought some premade tables to use as a bench and bought the Inline mounts. They are rock solid.

Just an opinion, but I'd highly recommend them. The accessories available at inline make things easier to utilize the press as well.
Im really tempted to get that, but for now going to focus the money on the hard to find items. I need primers... and powder, will be the next two hardest items. I have an offer for some primers from a member here (super thankful for) but will look at buying more if I find them. I don't even know what kind yet to look for...

I finally got an email from Midway that my Lee book will ship this week. Then I need to read it. Im kinda shopping blind here and guessing on the steps needed... so all the tips from everyone has been super helpful to this journey of mine...

Koda , I'm glad to read that you went with a single stage press. They are just so much easier to learn on. You only work on one task at a time. The big difference between your Rebel and a Rock Chucker is the throw length and how much pressure you can generate. As long as you are just reloading ammo you won't notice any difference. If you one day decide to try swaging you will need the stronger Chucker. with its longer throw it has better mechanical advantage, But the down side is you will move the handle quite a bit farther to do the same work. After a long day at the press you will know the difference.
When you buy dies be sure they come with real lock rings. This is what keeps your settings locked in when you change out your dies. Lee sells their dies with a single lock ring. When you remove your die the lee O ring is supposed to hold your setting. It does not. So when I use lee dies I also use a lock ring set. But even buying the lock rings the Lee dies are still cheaper and do the job just fine.
I am not a very brand loyal hand loader. I have used most all brands and they have all done the job. This is a good time to be gathering tools. Once components open up you will be ready to go. Good Luck. DR

Just stay away from SmartReloader.

I've been reloading mostly pistol calibers but the 30-30 I've done has been once fired factory brass by me. So, I didn't anneal the cases. But these are the steps I take when doing rifle:

Case prep
1. Inspect the case for any weird marks/defects and splits
2. Deprime and full resize through die. A two die set + crimp die (or three die set - the add'l die will only expand case mouth but I never used it as I only do full size.)
3. Clean primer pocket. Lee makes one ( ). I just tape it to my electric driver and clean cases in batches. I wish someone would make an adapter for this.
4. Measure the case. Get a good caliper.
5. Trim as needed. Chose a method of trimming, either a hand trimmer or an electric.
6. Chamfer case. Chamfer tool.
7. Anneal as needed. This probably can be done after step one. An annealing system or simple torch. (don't have much experience with this so take it as it is.)
8. Clean the case. Using a sonic cleaner or vibratory cleaner or tumbler with media.

Reloading
9. Set up the cases on reloading blocks.
10. Prime. I use a hand primer (if using the press primer make sure you have the correct size, large or small primers.)
11. Lube cases (unless you have carbide dies). I use a spray type lube.
12. Measure and charge. You will need a powder dispenser and a good scale (digital or beam). A powder trickler is handy.
13. Seat bullet. You are going to make a mistake so a bullet puller is handy here.
14. Some way to measure the case (for some it maybe optional). Lyman headspace gauge or concentric gauge.

Optional items: swage tool for military calibers. check weights, shell holder set, pilots for trimmer, etc. Others more experience hopefully will chime in. The underlined items are what I would use. I am sure this is an incomplete list but hopefully get you started.

Just stay away from SmartReloader.

I've been reloading mostly pistol calibers but the 30-30 I've done has been once fired factory brass by me. So, I didn't anneal the cases. But these are the steps I take when doing rifle:

Case prep
1. Inspect the case for any weird marks/defects and splits
2. Deprime and full resize through die. A two die set + crimp die (or three die set - the add'l die will only expand case mouth but I never used it as I only do full size.)
3. Clean primer pocket. Lee makes one ( ). I just tape it to my electric driver and clean cases in batches. I wish someone would make an adapter for this.
4. Measure the case. Get a good caliper.
5. Trim as needed. Chose a method of trimming, either a hand trimmer or an electric.
6. Chamfer case. Chamfer tool.
7. Anneal as needed. This probably can be done after step one. An annealing system or simple torch. (don't have much experience with this so take it as it is.)
8. Clean the case. Using a sonic cleaner or vibratory cleaner or tumbler with media.

Reloading
9. Set up the cases on reloading blocks.
10. Prime. I use a hand primer (if using the press primer make sure you have the correct size, large or small primers.)
11. Lube cases (unless you have carbide dies). I use a spray type lube. Lube ALL rifle cases, regardless of whether you use carbide dies or not. Straight-walled pistol cases don't need lube with carbide dies but rifle cases with neck and shoulder must be lubed or you will find yourself wasting a lot of time and energy prying that stuck case out of your die.
12. Measure and charge. You will need a powder dispenser and a good scale (digital or beam). A powder trickler is handy.
13. Seat bullet. You are going to make a mistake so a bullet puller is handy here.
14. Some way to measure the case (for some it maybe optional). Lyman headspace gauge or concentric gauge.

Optional items: swage tool for military calibers. check weights, shell holder set, pilots for trimmer, etc. Others more experience hopefully will chime in. The underlined items are what I would use. I am sure this is an incomplete list but hopefully get you started.
FIFY See text in red above

I run a 4x4 leading edge, 2x4 on edge against the wall and 3/4" OSB as a surface.
I also run 4x4's from leading edge to wall where the press mounts. Flex? 1/8" or less at press.

I can't stand a moving press.

This ^^. I've got ten years on a Rock Chucker.

And I've got FORTY-THREE years on a Rockchucker single stage press, and almost twenty-two on a Lee turret press. Only set of Lee dies I have are .357Mag, 'cos they came with a carbide sizer-decapper. All the others are RCBS, as are most accessories.

There is a tendency with those new to reloading to get motorised and digital everything - the only thing I have that's digital is a scale that I use along with my RCBS 10-10 - an unmatched pair of old stagers.

I only load a couple of thousand a year in a selection of calibres, not like the young whipper-snappers here who load up a thousand at a time of fifty calibres, then go shoot them all in an afternoon...here in UK our ranges have been closed since October, and we have no way of knowing when they'll open again.

Shooting off your back porch step [we don't have such things here, but you know what I mean] is severely frowned-upon, especially by the neighbour who lives fifteen feet the other side of your back yard fence.

And I've got FORTY-THREE years on a Rockchucker single stage press, and almost twenty-two on a Lee turret press. Only set of Lee dies I have are .357Mag, 'cos they came with a carbide sizer-decapper. All the others are RCBS, as are most accessories.

There is a tendency with those new to reloading to get motorised and digital everything - the only thing I have that's digital is a scale that I use along with my RCBS 10-10 - an unmatched pair of old stagers.

I only load a couple of thousand a year in a selection of calibres, not like the young whipper-snappers here who load up a thousand at a time of fifty calibres, then go shoot them all in an afternoon...here in UK our ranges have been closed since October, and we have no way of knowing when they'll open again.

Shooting off your back porch step [we don't have such things here, but you know what I mean] is severely frowned-upon, especially by the neighbour who lives fifteen feet the other side of your back yard fence.
How's the primer supply there in good old England?

Lee precision is okay. Their presses are good usable products. I have a breechlock challenger press but replaced everything else in their kit. I believe RCBS is made in the US but from materials from Mexico. The whole single stage vs turrent is another discussion for beginners.
Used a Rock Chucker for decades. The old standby. But then the Lee Classic Cast (iron) press came out. Very happy with it, especially the through-the-ram-into-the-vinyl tube-into-the-coffee-can primer dump.

The adjustable length and angle handle is frosting on the cake. I don't need 14"-16" of lever when sizing 380s.

Lotsa blue "D" guys here who shoot polymer GGGs. Not me. Steel and walnut, one at a time is fine with me.

And that's why you need a suppressor.;)

I started on a Lee turret press 38 years ago and still have one, but I re load on Dillon machines nowadays. The Lee is a great first press IMO. Easy to set up and run and you can keep your dies set up and simply switch out the turret to change calibers.. But if you want production, Nobody beats Dillon Blue!

Still a Lee fan, already miss the turret press I had.

Drank the blue koolaid and am deep into caliber conversions, die heads and a more expense than anticipated.

Lee hit the spot in the earlier days and worked well. Now as time allows and fiancé's have changed the Dillon was a great upgrade, my familiarity with the process has allowed me to maintain a progressive press with speed and accuracy.

@Koda, anything now days is going to be fine if you can find the accessories for it.
I still use my trusty ole Lee classic turret.
have turrets set up for 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp all with a powder activated powder measure and 223, 260, 7 saum and soon 338 edge.
Makes straight ammunition and has loaded a butt load of it.

Can you link something please? I am about to do my first .357 on my RCBS kit and I can use all the pointers I can get
if you are just starting out reloading, don't be afraid of a single stage press. learn each stage of the process from resizing to final crimp. older speer and hornady manuals have great text on the process. if you learn reloading from a link, please warn me before you fire.

if you are just starting out reloading, don't be afraid of a single stage press. learn each stage of the process from resizing to final crimp. older speer and hornady manuals have great text on the process. if you learn reloading from a link, please warn me before you fire.

I'm using an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit. And I like to go slow

Lots of recommendations for that rockchucker. I did like the idea of the full kit to get me going and the turret idea makes sense to me... but its tempting to cancel my backorder at Brownells and go for the simplicity of a single stage.
I ordered a Lee reloading book weeks ago but it got delayed in shipping for some covid reason or another so Im literally shopping blind if were talking components like presses and dies. My understanding is the turret is the same as a single stage except I can leave the dies set up in each turret spot and not have to reset the dies for each operation? Seems like the turret is the logical upgrade to the single stage, how difficult or timely is it to set up each die set to run step operations?

Side note about the mention of primers as Im aware those are like unicorns right now, Id like to jump on any in the rare event I find them, what is the primer I need to reload 25-06?
oh boy:eek:,

This is where a reloading manual will come in. Don't worry about the primers. I'll take care of you on that.
good on you, was gonna pay it foreward myself.
Ive looked but have no way of knowing, RCBS doesnt state opening size on their rockchucker press. Ive always assumed that any brands press would accept standard hunting rounds or nobody would recommend them.
I think Im going to go with the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. Will that work for reloading a 25-06... id like to think so.
cant believe im saying this, but, just make sure that the thread size on you dies matches the thread size on your press, its complicated:rolleyes:, maybe buying ammo is a better choice?

I do my rifle hunting ammo on a Lee turret (old style 3 hole), and have turrets for all my rifles. Pistols and semi autos are done on my dillon RL550. That works for me.

Generally all presses have the same threads for the dies. Started (reloading) life with an original rockchucker. 4 years later moved to the original dillon rl450 and haven't looked back. Just kept upgrading ...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top